PDA

View Full Version : I'm joining the NRA today and i need your help

lioneaglegriffin
05-22-2009, 2:15 PM
I want to know what you guys think. Is American Rifleman or 1st Freedom a better magazine. I don't care much for Hunter as i haven't hunted in 8 years. Also Let me know why you prefer one over the other.

I'm not exactly sure what forum this thread belongs in so mods feel free to move it.

yellowfin
05-22-2009, 2:17 PM
I guess 1st Freedom would be better because print lags so bad that reading gun reviews and news after being on here and ARfcom gets pointless. Quite honestly I think the gun media really needs to step it up so they don't get obsoleted by here and the other big gun boards--there's increasingly less and less that they can do better. Here we have the inside scoop from the people making the news which they print 2-5 months after the fact and provide only a cursory glance. After getting used to the legal geekery here everything else seems way too pedestrian.

DiscoBayJoe
05-22-2009, 2:17 PM
you can toggle your selection on the NRA web page afterwards if you change your mind.

I get American Rifleman and enjoy it. I have not read 1st Freedom.

CalNRA
05-22-2009, 2:18 PM
I like the Rifleman mag. Fine bathroom reading material :D

sorensen440
05-22-2009, 2:19 PM
I went with 1st freedom from day one and have not read rifleman

I think it all depends on what you want to read about

lioneaglegriffin
05-22-2009, 2:19 PM
I guess 1st Freedom would be better because print lags so bad that reading gun reviews and news after being on here and ARfcom gets pointless.

good point.

Jicko
05-22-2009, 2:21 PM
U know that they are giving out 1yr free membership, right?

lioneaglegriffin
05-22-2009, 2:24 PM
U know that they are giving out 1yr free membership, right?

Don't want it.

tenring
05-22-2009, 2:29 PM
Much of the same political info is printed in all of their mags, so you might as well well go with Rifleman, so you get some gun articles also. my 2 cents

CCWFacts
05-22-2009, 2:31 PM
The other option is to take none of the above. I want them spending every dime I give them on defending my rights. I don't want them to waste anything on mailing me stuff, including magazines.

lioneaglegriffin
05-22-2009, 2:33 PM
The other option is to take none of the above. I want them spending every dime I give them on defending my rights. I don't want them to waste anything on mailing me stuff, including magazines.

yea, 3.50 out of 35= 10% of a one year membership. Do they still send you ballots if you don't get a Mag?

scout II
05-22-2009, 2:48 PM
Well I get American Rifleman,and my wife gets 1st Freedom.So I get to read both.:thumbsup:

1BigPea
05-22-2009, 3:05 PM
I did 1st freedom, I really enjoy it. When my wife signed up for NRA I had her do the Rifleman. I get both now...:thumbsup:

lioneaglegriffin
05-22-2009, 3:15 PM
alot of support for Rifleman. I think thats what i'll choose, i was leaning rifleman at first i just wanted to know what others thought of 1st freedom.
Thanks Guys, I'm calling the NRA now.

lioneaglegriffin
05-22-2009, 3:22 PM
boom check out my sig. :D

shooting4life
05-22-2009, 3:33 PM
Much of the same political info is printed in all of their mags, so you might as well well go with Rifleman, so you get some gun articles also. my 2 cents

+1 :patriot:

626Tony
05-22-2009, 3:53 PM
American Rifleman ....funny I got a mini flashlight in the mail from the NRA today (along with a donation envelope)

bluthandwerk
05-22-2009, 4:39 PM
Some of the articles in American Rifleman are pretty good, and even if the reviews and pics lag, they are still some pretty good gun pron :thumbsup:

--edit I like your sig NRA emblem better than mine. Good choice!

lioneaglegriffin
05-22-2009, 4:58 PM
Some of the articles in American Rifleman are pretty good, and even if the reviews and pics lag, they are still some pretty good gun pron :thumbsup:

--edit I like your sig NRA emblem better than mine. Good choice!

:D black is my favorite color.

MrClamperSir
05-22-2009, 5:06 PM
I want to know what you guys think. Is American Rifleman or 1st Freedom a better magazine. I don't care much for Hunter as i haven't hunted in 8 years. Also Let me know why you prefer one over the other.

I'm not exactly sure what forum this thread belongs in so mods feel free to move it.

What took you so long to join?

lioneaglegriffin
05-22-2009, 5:14 PM
What took you so long to join?

procrastination, plus i wanted to demarcate my first handgun purchase with the membership.

Oh yea and i set up a P.O box so my NRA mail doesn't come directly where i live. Saves the lecture from liberals in the building.

I am a semi-closet gun owner. i only tell a few people i own guns, mostly people at work and school, but none of my neighbors or extended familiy know.

MrClamperSir
05-22-2009, 5:34 PM
procrastination, plus i wanted to demarcate my first handgun purchase with the membership.

Oh yea and i set up a P.O box so my NRA mail doesn't come directly where i live. Saves the lecture from liberals in the building.

I am a semi-closet gun owner. i only tell a few people i own guns, mostly people at work and school, but none of my neighbors or extended familiy know.

Hopefully that'll change overtime. No need to be in the closet about being a free man in a free land.

Glad you joined up, I'm practically a recruiter at this point, 11 friends and family in the last few months and working another dozen cases.

lioneaglegriffin
05-22-2009, 5:46 PM
Hopefully that'll change overtime. No need to be in the closet about being a free man in a free land.

Glad you joined up, I'm practically a recruiter at this point, 11 friends and family in the last few months and working another dozen cases.

yea i told a classmate i was picking up my handgun and she literally cringed. I asked if she had ever gone shooting, and she shook her head no. Then i said in a understanding voice: scared of the gun? and she shook her head yes. I just accepted that i live in a city of hoplophobes and going under the radar reduces awkward momements.

yellowfin
05-22-2009, 6:44 PM
^ you also just saw that you were her first positive source of info that guns are good and good people have them. That's something to maximize on, not minimize.

MrClamperSir
05-22-2009, 7:06 PM
^ you also just saw that you were her first positive source of info that guns are good and good people have them. That's something to maximize on, not minimize.

Absolutely.

Rhyyke
05-22-2009, 7:10 PM

absolutely nothing free about the land we live in. for me, its not so much the laws that bother me, annoying tho they may be. i don't like, but can deal with 10 rnd mags, 10 day waiting periods, and neutered "assault" rifles. what really bothers me is the unofficial but powerful persecution of my fellows, and that includes family and friends. i can totally relate to "living under the radar" lioneaglegriffin is talking about. i only let on the gun thing to some select friends (mostly fellow gun owners). especially since i'm young (23) most of my friends seem to think that having a gun makes me "dangerous". words like "hitman", "assassin", and "gangster" have been thrown around. weirdly tho, in my experience, among my non gun-owning peers, females are more likely to be accepting of firearms than non gun-owning males o_O. I have a hell of a time convincing certain male friends to go shooting to try it out, but most of the ladies are receptive.

my family is even worse, as i come from a culture that deeply fears guns, the very appearance of them frightens some of my family members. i guess its a understandable; they come from a country where a handgun would only ever be found in the hands of a criminal or a police officer.

funny thing... a friend of mine who proclaims "i just cant trust him with a gun" said the following to me the other day as we watched "28 Days Later"; "man if this ever happens for real, i'm coming STRAIGHT to your place". if he did... he JUST might find a locked door... :D

MrClamperSir
05-22-2009, 7:32 PM
my family is even worse, as i come from a culture that deeply fears guns, the very appearance of them frightens some of my family members. i guess its a understandable; they come from a country where a handgun would only ever be found in the hands of a criminal or a police officer.

I hear you but you have to keep faith.
My mother said something I never thought I'd hear in a million years the other day and I almost cried. She told me she and my step father were getting a gun and taking some classes. I suppose you'd have to know all the ridiculous statements she's made to me regarding firearms over the last twenty or so years to really understand my emotional state upon hearing this. Just one example would be when got my own place and she was visiting I wanted to show off my new $700 rifle and she just couldn't help from pointing out how many kitchen aids and pieces of furniture that $700 would have bought. Stick in their if my mom is coming around to this side of the issue then there is hope for all.

MrClamperSir
05-22-2009, 7:34 PM
absolutely nothing free about the land we live in.

That's to bad you see it that way. I love this place and would trade it for anything, except a more free version.

jptsr1
05-22-2009, 7:39 PM
im sure someone else has said this already but i choose not to get either. they can save the cost of printing and shipping my copy and use it for something constructive. i never read the thing back when i used to get it. i just left them all out on the coffee table to make my anti friends squirm. nowadays they would just become pre-confetti supply for my 10 month old.

DDT
05-22-2009, 7:39 PM

My NRA mail does come directly to my house but I DO have PO Box 357. How could I pass that up?

Rhyyke
05-22-2009, 7:51 PM
That's to bad you see it that way. I love this place and would trade it for anything, except a more free version.

maybe its my personal experience and surroundings, but it's like i said; its not the law or government i take issue with. but the persecution of the surroundings, by other citizens, makes me feel that i have to conceal this aspect of myself from pretty much everyone. i guess "this land" was the wrong way to word it. there's nothing free about my particular situation, and yes i was wrong; the land and government have nothing to do with it. maybe i just need new friends :D.

just my personal experience, hell before i was 21 i even had to hide my AIRSOFT guns from people. i guess keep faith is about all i can do for now.

lioneaglegriffin
05-22-2009, 9:06 PM

i do, i took a co-worker shopping for a gun because she knew nothing, she ended up geting a pink M&P 9mm. she wanted to get it because it was pink :rolleyes:. but i made her rent one and shoot it first, and she had a ear to ear grin after twenty rounds. she shot the .45 and she kept flinching (if she didn't have a proper hold she probably would've dropped it). so she understood the difference. she's actually pretty good(w/ 9mm), she wants to CC but i broke it to her thats not gonna happen.

I guess what im saying is, if someone is at least receptive i'll go out to make sure then learn the ropes. I even helped her study for the HSC test and she didn't get any wrong so i must have done something right.

lioneaglegriffin
05-22-2009, 9:16 PM
absolutely nothing free about the land we live in. for me, its not so much the laws that bother me, annoying tho they may be. i don't like, but can deal with 10 rnd mags, 10 day waiting periods, and neutered "assault" rifles. what really bothers me is the unofficial but powerful persecution of my fellows, and that includes family and friends. i can totally relate to "living under the radar" lioneaglegriffin is talking about. i only let on the gun thing to some select friends (mostly fellow gun owners). especially since i'm young (23) most of my friends seem to think that having a gun makes me "dangerous". words like "hitman", "assassin", and "gangster" have been thrown around. weirdly tho, in my experience, among my non gun-owning peers, females are more likely to be accepting of firearms than non gun-owning males o_O. I have a hell of a time convincing certain male friends to go shooting to try it out, but most of the ladies are receptive.

funny thing... a friend of mine who proclaims "i just cant trust him with a gun" said the following to me the other day as we watched "28 Days Later"; "man if this ever happens for real, i'm coming STRAIGHT to your place". if he did... he JUST might find a locked door... :D

maybe its my personal experience and surroundings, but it's like i said; its not the law or government i take issue with. but the persecution of the surroundings, by other citizens, makes me feel that i have to conceal this aspect of myself from pretty much everyone. i guess "this land" was the wrong way to word it. there's nothing free about my particular situation, and yes i was wrong; the land and government have nothing to do with it. maybe i just need new friends :D.

just my personal experience, hell before i was 21 i even had to hide my AIRSOFT guns from people. i guess keep faith is about all i can do for now.

The only place i could talk freely about guns is at work because there are a lot of current LEO's, Former LEO's and Former/Retired Military as well as a couple active duty. (all Marines)

My supervisor tried to sell me a XD 9mm when i was 20 :eek: (he didn't know how old i was). So i like being at work as you might imagine.

lioneaglegriffin
05-22-2009, 11:15 PM
maybe i should start a closet gunnie poll. kinda helps empathise with homo's eh? (nah not really, gun onwers can get married :D)

Swiss
05-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Please don't call them homos; it's insulting and sounds intolerant. Try "gays" or even "LGBT" to cover a broader group. Thanks.

lioneaglegriffin
05-23-2009, 1:23 PM
Please don't call them homos; it's insulting and sounds intolerant. Try "gays" or even "LGBT" to cover a broader group. Thanks.

is not homo short for homosexual? and the B&T of that are not homosexual. and gay applies to men. homo applies to lesibians and gays as i intended.

Swiss
05-23-2009, 2:05 PM
Sure. It's also the root for "homosapien" and "homophobic". Bottom line, it's been used as a slur for a long time and your crack about marriage left little doubt about your intentions. Tolerance is key if you want to empathize with them.

is not homo short for homosexual? and the B&T of that are not homosexual. and gay applies to men. homo applies to lesibians and gays as i intended.

maybe i should start a closet gunnie poll. kinda helps empathise with homo's eh? (nah not really, gun onwers can get married :D)

And, to actually contribute to this topic, I enjoy American Rifleman because I don't usually have time to catch up on everything that's new, plus it's just more relaxing for me browse a magazine than search the web.

As far as the sub-thread, I wear my gun club polo shirt to the office every Friday, while shopping in Berkeley or SF, when meeting friends for drinks, etc. It's my goal to present a passive but ever-present affirmation of RKBA to the general public. To me that means not pushing the agenda, acknowledging their fear of firearms, providing concise and rational arguments in favor of RKBA, and just being a generally nice and semi-intelligent guy. It's worked pretty well so far.

lioneaglegriffin
05-23-2009, 5:48 PM
Sure. It's also the root for "homosapien" and "homophobic". Bottom line, it's been used as a slur for a long time and your crack about marriage left little doubt about your intentions. Tolerance is key if you want to empathize with them.

as far as intentions are concerned i make gibs at every group, you can get into the whole turning a slur into a lesser term, like the N word used by blacks, or gunowners calling each other gunuts. I'm not really big on using PC words, but when decorum demands it i wll

as for the marriage dig, i find the whole prop 8 saga amusing, i really don't care either way.
And, to actually contribute to this topic, I enjoy American Rifleman because I don't usually have time to catch up on everything that's new, plus it's just more relaxing for me browse a magazine than search the web.

As far as the sub-thread, I wear my gun club polo shirt to the office every Friday, while shopping in Berkeley or SF, when meeting friends for drinks, etc. It's my goal to present a passive but ever-present affirmation of RKBA to the general public. To me that means not pushing the agenda, acknowledging their fear of firearms, providing concise and rational arguments in favor of RKBA, and just being a generally nice and semi-intelligent guy. It's worked pretty well so far.

i said before i don't have a problem with talking about guns in public, it just underwraps closer to home. I can appreciate you try to go out and win the hearts and minds of the Bay Area. They can be particullarly tough, they protest military recruiters as if they are war criminals.

Swiss
05-23-2009, 6:29 PM
Yeah, that Marine recruiting office incident was ridiculous and, I think, did more damage to the liberals than any gains they may have hoped for. I'm not a Berkeley resident but I know a few and they were pretty disgusted with their Council.

i said before i don't have a problem with talking about guns in public, it just underwraps closer to home. I can appreciate you try to go out and win the hearts and minds of the Bay Area. They can be particullarly tough, they protest military recruiters as if they are war criminals.

lioneaglegriffin
05-23-2009, 7:01 PM
Yeah, that Marine recruiting office incident was ridiculous and, I think, did more damage to the liberals than any gains they may have hoped for. I'm not a Berkeley resident but I know a few and they were pretty disgusted with their Council.

the question is who is satisfied with their legislature (Maybe Montana?), CA Congress, and the National congress, and the city councils all have low approval ratings.