PDA

View Full Version : Ammo for my Garand?

SNEAKS
05-22-2009, 2:57 PM
I cant find any 30-06 ammo for my Garand anywhere. I know ammo is in short right now but still what gives. Also as I understand it new factory ammo cant be used in the Garand and surplus ball ammo is the only way to go. Where are all the Garand owners getting their ammo?

EricClay
05-22-2009, 3:03 PM
I cant find any 30-06 ammo for my Garand anywhere. I know ammo is in short right now but still what gives. Also as I understand it new factory ammo cant be used in the Garand and surplus ball ammo is the only way to go. Where are all the Garand owners getting their ammo?

You probably need to invest in an adjustable gas plug.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=412046

That way you can buy factory ammo. You basically start with the vent wide open and slowly close the vent screw until the weapon cycles reliably. Then you leave it there.

If you change ammo you need to start over.

paladin4415
05-22-2009, 3:13 PM
Where are all the Garand owners getting their ammo?

Most of them buy Greek surplus from CMP.

CSDGuy
05-22-2009, 3:17 PM
Most of them buy Greek surplus from CMP.
Yep. They've been buying a LOT of ammo from the CMP. So much so that now there's a 10 case/year limit...

Gator Monroe
05-22-2009, 3:26 PM
Is Factory the same as High end Hunting Rounds ?

CSDGuy
05-22-2009, 3:34 PM
Is Factory the same as High end Hunting Rounds ?
They can be. With only a couple exceptions, most .30-06 ammunition is too "hot" for the Garand Gas system as it was designed. Shoot it and you risk bending the Op-Rod. Federal, American Eagle, and Hornady all make a Garand-safe cartridge. It will be pretty expensive and closer to match quality than M2 Ball...

M1A Rifleman
05-22-2009, 4:31 PM
1. Reload
2. Get the Greek from the CMP
3. Use the costly new commercial stuff made for the garand
4. Look into the America Eagle 150 grn FMJ. It seems to have nearly the same ballistics as GI M2, so it may be fine.

I have not seen any clear ruling as to not using 150 grn commercial ammo in a garand - most all of it is internet rabbling from supposed experts. However, most of the commercial 150 grn ammo (except for the Federal American Eagle) is listing velocities in the 2950 fps range, which is well above the M2's 2750 fps, and this makes me wary in using it.

God Bless The Mauser
05-22-2009, 5:12 PM
I've been shooting Greek surplus and today I ordered 30-06 dies so I'm going to start reloading for it once I get primers. Reloading is the way to go, it's my new addiction.

GMG
05-22-2009, 7:44 PM
You also might check Gun Broker, I just bought 1000 rds of Greek.

CMP is less than GB but you have to belong to their little club
and it's still about 6 mos. out.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.asp

ocabj
05-22-2009, 8:20 PM
The CMP is not a club.

As far as commercial, modern production Garand safe ammo, Graf's has the Hornady M1 Garand ammo in-stock:

http://www.grafs.com/product/231682 (cheaper if you have a dealer account with them).

Federal's new M1 Garand ammo isn't available yet. Should be shortly:

http://www.grafs.com/product/228562

I can't make a 1st hand comment about the Hornady ammo. I bought a box of 20 a few months ago when I ordered some bullets from Grafs, but have yet to test them. But the CMP issued the Hornady manufactured M1 ammo at the Eastern CMP Games this year (Camp Butner) and the participants in the Games matches liked the ammo.

Greek HXP is decent stuff. But it's surplus ammo so don't expect optimal accuracy.

popeye4
05-22-2009, 9:41 PM
Yep. They've been buying a LOT of ammo from the CMP. So much so that now there's a 10 case/year limit...

The 10 case/yr limit came as a result of some folks buying mass quantities to resell, that happened last year before the big run on ammo. CMP is now out of the Greek in the 20 rd boxes, they only have Greek on the 8 rd. clips. Still a good deal for a Garand.....

motorhead
05-22-2009, 10:09 PM
i bought a spam can of greek on auctionarms.