PDA

View Full Version : Scope suggestions for an AR-10????

mikeinla
05-22-2009, 2:37 PM
right now I have a Leupold Vari-X III 4.5 X 14 Tactical. I wanted to put this on my Remingtion 700 and get a new scope for the AR-10. I do not need anything to high end for the AR-10, just somthing that will not break with a .308.
Any suggestions??

swerv512
05-22-2009, 2:40 PM
why not another leuppy? i have a vx-2 and a vx-3 and couldnt be happier. good scopes for the money....

domokun
05-22-2009, 3:20 PM
How about a Valdada IOR Scope? The glass on these are super crystal clear and sharp. The only drawback is that it costs a fair bit more than your VX-3 4.5 x 14 Tactical scope.

http://www.valdada.com/catalog/db21c65d-2429-4509-b1d5-f4dbea62f0b9.aspx

Jicko
05-22-2009, 3:23 PM
right now I have a Leupold Vari-X III 4.5 X 14 Tactical. I wanted to put this on my Remingtion 700 and get a new scope for the AR-10. I do not need anything to high end for the AR-10, just somthing that will not break with a .308.
Any suggestions??

I was to suggest a NF.... lol

But i realized that a NF should go onto your Rem700....

The Leupold should just stay on the AR10...

:D

Desert_AIP
05-22-2009, 3:23 PM
I use the Burris 3-12x50mm XTR.
The BDC reticle is designed and calibrated for .308 and works very well.
It is bright, rugged, has a 30mm tube, adjustable parallax, target knobs with two scales and caps, fogproof, waterproof, lifetime warranty.
The model I have has an illuminated reticla but you can save a couple of hundred getting the non-illuminated model.

randy
05-22-2009, 3:33 PM
Whats the primary use for the rifle?

mikeinla
05-22-2009, 3:38 PM
Whats the primary use for the rifle?

Going to Angeles and shooting at the hanging metal

Jpach
05-22-2009, 4:09 PM
Im gonna put a Nightforce on my next .308 AR. What do you plan on doing with it? What are the specs of your rifle? Do you have a chrome lined barrel? Etc?

Jonathan Doe
05-22-2009, 4:47 PM
I tested a Pride-Fowler scope and like it.I may buy one and use it on my rifle.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=184802

aplinker
05-22-2009, 4:55 PM
wait until rksimple shows up and gives his standard answer... it actually is the right choice for what you want to do. :)

Bushnell 3200 10x40 mildot

cheap, tough and a solid scope.

brando
05-22-2009, 4:59 PM
I'm a firm believer in the Horus reticle for intermediate range semi-autos, an AR-10 being a perfect match. The Horus Vision scopes aren't exactly high end (you'd have to go with a USO w/ Horus reticle for that) but they are good enough for plinking and hobby use. The big advantage is that reticle allows you to make quick holdover adjustments which is especially useful when making multiple engagements at different distances.

M. Sage
05-22-2009, 5:34 PM
My friend has a Springfield Government model (can't remember which) for 7.62 on his AR-10. Perfect match for the rifle, IMO.

http://www.bodermansports.com/Optics/Springfield_Armory/springfield_armory.html

First shot I took at 300 yards after we got it sighted in put a Hornady AMax through the right eye of an IPSC target. I had called just right of center, so the shot was about 1 1/2" off from my call, good enough for 300 yards. :D

ETA: Just checked out that Horus site. Interesting concept, but two things I don't like:

They still utilize milliradians. MOA is easier and better (and MOA is a real, tangible measurement).

Their rangefinder math could be easier. Calculating a 53" target divided by a range finder measure of 9 in your head, in the field.... Yeah... Fail.

And the reticle is so damn busy. I'll take the counter-sniper Springfield and a little "Kentucky Windage" thanks.

... What is it with American companies and their hatred of simple, effective rangefinders!? The Russians have it right in this regard, and we have it all wrong.

aplinker
05-22-2009, 6:34 PM
how are milliradians not tangible? Size is simply 1/1000th of the distance. At 1000m a milliradiam is 1m. If you can divide by 10 (the easiest to divide with), nothing is better than milliradians.

Abandon your English units for metric (as you should) and everything works far better.

They still utilize milliradians. MOA is easier and better (and MOA is a real, tangible measurement).

Their rangefinder math could be easier. Calculating a 53" target divided by a range finder measure of 9 in your head, in the field.... Yeah... Fail.

And the reticle is so damn busy. I'll take the counter-sniper Springfield and a little "Kentucky Windage" thanks.

... What is it with American companies and their hatred of simple, effective rangefinders!? The Russians have it right in this regard, and we have it all wrong.

mikeinla
05-23-2009, 9:18 AM
Randall suggested this one.......anybody have any experience with it?????

Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15 Tactical

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys...i_sku=11448365

Jpach
05-23-2009, 11:05 AM
^^^^^^The link brings you to a "Page Not Found" Page.

M Sage, didnt Springfield Armory stop making scopes? If that is a real and up to date page, thats a pretty exciting find. I may have to test one of those out.

mikeinla
05-23-2009, 12:28 PM
this link should work

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Bushnell-Elite-3200-5-15x40-mm-Target-Rifle-Scope/3358650/product.html

M. Sage
05-23-2009, 3:56 PM
how are milliradians not tangible? Size is simply 1/1000th of the distance. At 1000m a milliradiam is 1m. If you can divide by 10 (the easiest to divide with), nothing is better than milliradians.

Abandon your English units for metric (as you should) and everything works far better.

There are 2 times pi radians in a circle. A milliradian is going to be 2 times pi times a thousand to a circle.

What's pi again? Oh yeah. Some number that trails off into infinity. So, without using a practically unsolvable equation, how many miliradians in a circle? No answer. The only real answer is 2000 pi. Half a circle is 3.1412etc.etc. radians!!! How is this "real"?! Can you imagine converting the compass to this nonsense (someone will eventually think it's a bright idea, I'm sure)!? "American 3245, turn to a heading of 3.674." (somewhere West of South) Uh, yeah. That's not clear as mud. Lol, even better: East would be "half of pi" or because "half" is evil under Metric, "pi divided by two". Wow. Great system right there. I'll keep my degrees, be they decimal degrees or degrees, minutes seconds (I honestly prefer decimal degrees).

I don't like metric units so I won't be changing... ever. English may be harder to work with initially, but inches, feet, etc. are more intuitive to measure than are the metric units.

I sat down once and did some math when I was a machinist. I found out that an Inch-based micrometer is inherently more accurate than a metric one because of the difference in the measuring systems. Only very slightly, but it's there.

ETA: I just found out, some moron actually did decide that mils on a compass was a good idea. They're not true mills, though, since the compass has been broken up into 6400 units. There are 6282.4 mills in a full circle, using pi to four decimal places (as far as I know it by memory, and much farther than I've ever needed to know it). So the "mil" dots used in scopes aren't even true milliradians! Gah! One more reason for me to dislike them. Call them something different, since they're not mils!! :rant:

M Sage, didnt Springfield Armory stop making scopes? If that is a real and up to date page, thats a pretty exciting find. I may have to test one of those out.

They might have. I don't know. All I know is my friend got one, and it's great. Range finders are simple, as they damn well should be; the width of a man across the shoulders. ;) Let's face it: making folks do math under pressure when people are dying? Stupid idea.

elSquid
05-23-2009, 7:23 PM
What a ridiculous rant. It's clear you simply don't understand what you're talking about, but that's fine. You're comfortable with what you know, which is a reason to choose something, for you.

And to rebut the highlighted part, there are 2 radians in a circle. Pi is a radian. It's simply a unit. It's very simple, a radian is a 1/2 circle. You're clearly very, very confused.

Perhaps things have changed since I got my engineering degree, but I'm pretty sure a radian is a unit of angular measurement which works out to just less than 60 degrees.

-- Michael

grahlaika
05-23-2009, 7:33 PM
For what you're looking to do with your AR-10, the Bushnell is perfect. Here's a good review for it:

https://www.snipercentral.com/bushnell4200.phtml

aplinker
05-23-2009, 9:42 PM
Those Bushnell scopes are a bargain for what they are. There is really nothing that compares in their price range that have the nice big knobs.

Perhaps things have changed since I got my engineering degree, but I'm pretty sure a radian is a unit of angular measurement which works out to just less than 60 degrees.

-- Michael

I misspoke... I always roll the pi into the number - it's a physics habit.

Sometimes I stay up too long. Just ignore me until I get some sleep. I love M.Sage, too, so he didn't deserve the angry post - so deleted. :) Panicked students who refuse to study, constantly email and want to be spoon-fed are annoying and lead to short patience. Hence the transference.

Jicko
05-23-2009, 9:43 PM
What did your AR10 cost you? Why skim on the optic? I still think that you should put as much money into the optics as you have put into your gun theory....

M. Sage
05-23-2009, 11:03 PM
Heh. See it sounds like you're in the theory side of things and that's why you find my rant "silly". I'm very much in the practical, real world, dirt-under-the-fingernails side, which is why I hate "fake" numbers like radians. ;)

No worries. It is a bit silly of me to go off, it's just that I like black and white without gray, and radians are something I definitely see as gray. I like whole numbers to describe whole objects...

Degrees please.