PDA

View Full Version : Does my muzzle brake need to be welded on?

stuntdummy
05-22-2009, 1:51 PM
Does a muzzle brake need to be welded/pinned to be legal in CA on a registered AK, or can I swap brakes at will?

cmace22
05-22-2009, 1:55 PM
Welding /pinning is only needed to make your barrel legal length. If its your RAW, swap away!

lazyworm
05-22-2009, 1:56 PM
If your barrel is longer than 16" without the break, then it doesn't need to be welded.

Welding of breaks or flash supressors is used to get the barrel back to legal
length.

69Mach1
05-22-2009, 1:56 PM
You don't need to do that unless the barrel is less than 16 inches, and the MB is used to perm. make the barrel legal.

stuntdummy
05-22-2009, 1:58 PM
Cool, thanks guys!

lazyworm
05-22-2009, 1:59 PM
Welding /pinning is only needed to make your barrel legal length. If its your RAW, swap away!

The 16" barrel length is a federal requirement. CA RAW has nothing to do
with it. This is unless your rifle is a fed registered SBR, which is very rare in CA.

skkeeter
05-22-2009, 2:02 PM
What do you mean by registered? Did you register this as an assault weapon in '94 before the ban? If so, you can do anything you want with it. If not, then min barrel length must be 16". If it's over 16", swap away between breaks and flash hiders as long as there's a mag lock installed.

cmace22
05-22-2009, 2:11 PM
The 16" barrel length is a federal requirement. CA RAW has nothing to do
with it. This is unless your rifle is a fed registered SBR, which is very rare in CA.

Thank you for making no point what so ever!

Did I say It wasnt a federal requirement or cali only?

And yes if its a RAW it does have something to do with it.

The reason to point out if it was a RAW was to keep my lazy butt from going in to BB vs MM and the correct configurations of each. You know Flash supressor vs flash hider. Maybe evil featcher , rings a bell.

If its a RAW it doesnt matter what FH/FS he uses as long as the barrel length is 16" or more and the overall length is 30" or more.

Does a muzzle brake need to be welded/pinned to be legal in CA on a registered AK, or can I swap brakes at will?

lazyworm
05-22-2009, 2:24 PM
Thank you for making no point what so ever!

Did I say It wasnt a federal requirement or cali only?

And yes if its a RAW it does have something to do with it.

The reason to point out if it was a RAW was to keep my lazy butt from going in to BB vs MM and the correct configurations of each. You know Flash supressor vs flash hider. Maybe evil featcher , rings a bell.

If its a RAW it doesnt matter what FH/FS he uses as long as the barrel length is 16" or more and the overall length is 30" or more.

I think you clarified my point for me.

If its your RAW, swap away!

It's the length of the barrel that dictates if the muzzle attachment
needs to be welded. RAW or not may affect the OP's choice on what
type of muzzle attachment to use, but I think that's reading too much
into the OP's intentions.

lazyworm
05-22-2009, 2:30 PM
What do you mean by registered? Did you register this as an assault weapon in '94 before the ban? If so, you can do anything you want with it. If not, then min barrel length must be 16". If it's over 16", swap away between breaks and flash hiders as long as there's a mag lock installed.

I'd interpret registered means CA registered assault weapons.
This is for the CA AW ban (2001) and is not related to the '94 Fed ban.

The Fed ban has no registration requirements/provisions and it has
expired in 2004.

norcal77
05-22-2009, 2:34 PM
Sorry..don't mean to threadjack but my question is very similiar to the OPs

Let's say a person has an AK with a sidefolding stock. When folded it is less than 30"...if I put a muzzle break on it that is longer than the slant break it came with to get it above 30" does the break have to be permanently welded on to be legal? My folding stock was welded open and I was thinking of doing this so that I can get the folding feature back.

Josh3239
05-22-2009, 4:19 PM
Every rifle in California whether it is a registered AW or not must abide by federal NFA laws. This means that unless your rifle is registered as a short barreled rifle, you may never have a barrel of less than 16''. Registered AW essentially means that banned receivers, evil features, and using high caps are ok, AWs have nothing to do with SBR and owning a registered AW doesn't give you a free pass to create an SBR.

Permanently attaching muzzle devices is ONLY for keeping your barrel above 16''. If you rifle measures less than 30'' folded then you do need a muzzle extention however it doesn't have to be permanent.

Sniper3142
05-22-2009, 7:14 PM
Every rifle in California whether it is a registered AW or not must abide by federal NFA laws. This means that unless your rifle is registered as a short barreled rifle, you may never have a barrel of less than 16''. Registered AW essentially means that banned receivers, evil features, and using high caps are ok, AWs have nothing to do with SBR and owning a registered AW doesn't give you a free pass to create an SBR.

Permanently attaching muzzle devices is ONLY for keeping your barrel above 16''. If you rifle measures less than 30'' folded then you do need a muzzle extention however it doesn't have to be permanent.

WELL SAID and SPOT ON.

:)

Vinz
05-22-2009, 7:25 PM
Sorry..don't mean to threadjack but my question is very similiar to the OPs

Let's say a person has an AK with a sidefolding stock. When folded it is less than 30"...if I put a muzzle break on it that is longer than the slant break it came with to get it above 30" does the break have to be permanently welded on to be legal? My folding stock was welded open and I was thinking of doing this so that I can get the folding feature back.

is the barrel 16" +?

vinz

cmace22
05-22-2009, 7:45 PM

For the life of me I couldnt understand why everyone was talking about RAW's and SBR's.....

The I looked at my first post.

This must be creating confusion.

I took the OP as he had a legally configured RAW with a 16" barrel and was confused on the need to perm attatch the MB/FS.

Sorry for the confusion :thumbsup:

norcal77
05-23-2009, 1:43 AM
is the barrel 16" +?

vinz

It is 16" exactly with the slant break on it.

lowriderryda
05-23-2009, 11:53 PM
Just making sure if your barrel is 16" long and has a mag lock i can have a flash hider?

lowriderryda
05-23-2009, 11:54 PM
flash suppressor to be exact
this is the setup

http://www.57center.com/6.html?m8:cat=/AR57%20upper%20assembly&sm=76843

the first one

Josh3239
05-24-2009, 1:06 AM
Just making sure if your barrel is 16" long and has a mag lock i can have a flash hider?

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

ro442173
05-24-2009, 1:44 AM
Not what you guys are looking for but this might help someome out there...http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=391053

Mssr. Eleganté
05-24-2009, 12:38 PM
...if I put a muzzle break on it that is longer than the slant break it came with to get it above 30" does the break have to be permanently welded on to be legal? My folding stock was welded open and I was thinking of doing this so that I can get the folding feature back.

It is 16" exactly with the slant break on it.

If your barrel is 16" exactly with the slant brake on it then the slant brake should already be permanently attached to avoid having an SBR. If you remove the slant brake, even just for a minute so you can put on the new longer brake, you will have created an SBR. Any new brake will need to be permanently attached if your barrel is less than 16" without it.