PDA

View Full Version : RifleLocker equivalent that is Fire rated?

erikk
02-18-2005, 8:20 AM
I am looking for a wall safe that is gun and fire rated. I want it to have electronic access; lighting and dehumidifier would be nice but not mandatory. Easy access is prefereable (quick draw GunLocker would be sweet but not big enough and no fire rating). It needs to hold 4 handguns easily and be able to handle some extra stuff also (clips, ammo, jewelry etc). The RifleLocker is pretty much ideal except for the fire rating. My budget is flexible but at the same time I'd love to spend as little as possible.

Thanks in advance for your help.

erikk
02-18-2005, 8:20 AM
I am looking for a wall safe that is gun and fire rated. I want it to have electronic access; lighting and dehumidifier would be nice but not mandatory. Easy access is prefereable (quick draw GunLocker would be sweet but not big enough and no fire rating). It needs to hold 4 handguns easily and be able to handle some extra stuff also (clips, ammo, jewelry etc). The RifleLocker is pretty much ideal except for the fire rating. My budget is flexible but at the same time I'd love to spend as little as possible.

Thanks in advance for your help.

erikk
02-21-2005, 7:24 AM
No one knows of a safe like this? Is it just not made? Or you just don't know?

rkt88edmo
02-21-2005, 12:44 PM
I don't think most of the quick access setups come with a fire rating.

You are stuck with one of the concrete lined lockboxes, which may be a viable option for you, or moving up to a traditional 'safe.' I've been browsing around as well. I don't have a large enough collection or space to warrant a full sized safe, and only irreplacable items need a fire rated container, which doesn't include my pistols.

I think it was another thread here (or I read somewhere else) that the smaller fire rated containers are just concrete lined, and that the concrete raises the humidity in the container and will rust your guns.

erikk
02-21-2005, 7:32 PM
Hey Rokit

Thanks for the input. Having sent my 2 Kimbers in to Kimber for a manufacturer refurb due to a tiny fire safe rusting them I can vouch for that in spades. I even had desicant pouches in there and no help.

esskay
02-22-2005, 8:41 PM
Cannon makes a wall safe (WS-60, I believe) that is DOJ approved, but it is not fire rated. I am not aware of any quick access wall safes that are fire rated.

IIRC, I don't believe the RifleLocker is DOJ approved.