PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical question on transporting long guns

hkusp9c
05-22-2009, 12:56 PM
My car has a very limited trunk space. And I have to put it on the passenger seat right next to me. Let's say if I get pulled over by a LEO for whatever reason, should I tell the LEO what's in the case if questioned?

MudCamper
05-22-2009, 1:01 PM
My car has a very limited trunk space. And I have to put it on the passenger seat right next to me. Let's say if I get pulled over by a LEO for whatever reason, should I tell the LEO what's in the case if questioned?

You are not required to answer any questions. However there will be a hundred differing opinions on what you should say.

Also, rifles do not need to be in a locked case like handguns.

wildhawker
05-22-2009, 1:05 PM

Please clarify "it", which by your later reference to "the case" I assume you to mean a gun case of some sort. Is this assumption correct?

ChuckBooty
05-22-2009, 1:13 PM
While it's legal to do so, I don't recommend it. If an LEO can see a firearm, he then has the authority to check if it's unloaded. I do believe that an exposed firearm would equal probably cause to search the rest of your vehicle as well. Your best bet is laying the rifle in the backseat and place a blanket over it. If you have a two-seater, do your best to cover the gun with a blanket. You do not have to answer any questions about what's in your car. If an officer asks you what you have in your car, or specifically asks about firearms, your response LEGALLY could be silence. However, I have used this, "I have nothing illegal in my vehicle, sir....just my personal property".

hkusp9c
05-22-2009, 1:20 PM
Sorry for the confusion. Unloaded rifle in a locked case and no back seats (it's a two seater)

hkusp9c
05-22-2009, 1:26 PM
I like that sentence "i have nothing illegal in my car and it's just my personal property". It doesn't sound too rude and simply stating the fact. Thanx

ChuckBooty
05-22-2009, 1:40 PM
I like that sentence "i have nothing illegal in my car and it's just my personal property". It doesn't sound too rude and simply stating the fact. Thanx

Yeah...that's a great one. It lets the officer know that you DO respect him but you also know you're rights. I've used it successfully before.