PDA

View Full Version : Santee Sheriff Deputies have AR Carbines in their cars- Saw one in action today

missiontrails
05-22-2009, 10:19 AM
I was pulling into the new Henry's shopping plaza this morning, and a sheriffs car in front of me turned on it's lights and pulled in and parked in front of Sleep Train Sleep Center. The young deputy opened his trunk and pulled out an AR, pulled out the stock (which also had a green mag pouch connected to it with velcro), and then possitioned himself behind the Sleep Train building, peeking around the corner to watch the San Diego National Bank building. He was trying to hide the AR by holding it behind him. I just had to sit in my car and watch, hell, I wanted to stand next to him. I thought a bank robber was going to come out of the bank and get LIT UP. After about 5 minutes another deputy arrived, they walked around for a bit, and then put away the weapons. Good to know those deputies have real firepower if they need it.

Untamed1972
05-22-2009, 10:44 AM
I was pulling into the new Henry's shopping plaza this morning, and a sheriffs car in front of me turned on it's lights and pulled in and parked in front of Sleep Train Sleep Center. The young deputy opened his trunk and pulled out an AR, pulled out the stock (which also had a green mag pouch connected to it with velcro), and then possitioned himself behind the Sleep Train building, peeking around the corner to watch the San Diego National Bank building. He was trying to hide the AR by holding it behind him. I just had to sit in my car and watch, hell, I wanted to stand next to him. I thought a bank robber was going to come out of the bank and get LIT UP. After about 5 minutes another deputy arrived, they walked around for a bit, and then put away the weapons. Good to know those deputies have real firepower if they need it.

SDSO has been carrying AR's for many years now. I think they started issuing them just shortly after the Hollywood Bank shootout.

tomd1584
05-22-2009, 10:45 AM
Lots of departments have them, they just don't advertise them in the front seat.

trinydex
05-22-2009, 10:47 AM
sometimes they do

MasterYong
05-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Eureka PD has them. But then again the local depts get a lot of toys around here because of all the pot busts.

Vtec44
05-22-2009, 10:48 AM
I've heard that you have to be at a certain rank to carry one, is that true?

Untamed1972
05-22-2009, 10:49 AM
Lots of departments have them, they just don't advertise them in the front seat.

Yeah....SDSO usually keeps them in the trunk.

Rifle Fetish
05-22-2009, 10:56 AM
I believe that SDPD can carry them if they buy them.

trinydex
05-22-2009, 10:57 AM
you have to qualify?

tomd1584
05-22-2009, 11:01 AM
you have to qualify?

I would assume so since it would be considered a service/duty weapon....just like your handgun

MasterYong
05-22-2009, 11:02 AM
you have to qualify?

The Eureka PD that showed me his had to qualify. He actually had two- this is how we got into this conversation in the first place, the LEO and I, is that he was selling one of his ARs on consignment in a local shop, with BB installed of course. He said the only reason he was selling one is that the dept would only let him qualify with one. This is what got me into ARs in the first place, was having an LEO explain to me that they were in fact legal in the correct configuration. He bought two while in the academy, but after joining the force found out he could only qualify with one! Too bad for him- but I think it's kinda cool that someone in Eureka, CA now has an AR that was once owned and trained with by an LEO. It's delicious irony. :coolgleamA:

PEBKAC
05-22-2009, 11:04 AM
In the Bay Area they seem to store them sticking straight up in the center console, right next to a shotgun. And mind you this isn't Oakland Bay Area...this is suburbs Bay Area. >_>

GoingPro
05-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Downey PD has them too. when i was 18 we had a going away party for my friend moving to canada, and we got into a fight with some cholos who came to the party that stole some of our friends things and we caught them...long story short we beat the hell out of these guys in the street...after they left a police vehicle came by and a officer had his AR-15 pointed at us.....after we explained to him what happend he was cool as hell, he drove me and 2 buddies to go I.D. the guys because they took off in a truck and got pulled over because there were people in the bed of the truck....these guys got such a beat down there was blood all over them...a yer later i got pulled over for speeding i was going 60 in a 40 and the cop recognized my last name, then i told him "you were probobly at the fight on adenmore st. where we kicked the **** out of those cholos" LOL! the cop started laughing and told me that we did a good job and told me to have a good night and let me go! gotta love those cool cops man!

enchantor
05-22-2009, 11:37 AM
Most PDs in so-cal keep the ARs up front next to the shotgun. To be authorized to take it out of the rack you need to take a 24 hour POST class put on by your department's range staff. Like someone said, most departments adopted this sort of a policy after the North Hollywood shootout.

O8SERVER
05-22-2009, 11:41 AM
I've seen a couple Davis PD cars with G36s inside...

hawk1
05-22-2009, 11:45 AM
...."you were probobly at the fight on adenmore st. where we kicked the **** out of those cholos" LOL! the cop started laughing and told me that we did a good job and told me to have a good night and let me go! gotta love those cool cops man!

I know where that is, I used to live on Patton Rd, between Cole & Stewert and Grey. That was between 1972 and 1981. Way back when...:)

glock_this
05-22-2009, 11:57 AM
In the Bay Area they seem to store them sticking straight up in the center console, right next to a shotgun.

I am pretty positive I have seen the same in local PD cars (north county san diego) for a while. I have looked and seen the barrel right next to the shotgun. I assumed this was standard fair anymore.

1911su16b870
05-22-2009, 12:01 PM
They must have rolled into a report of an armed robbery at the bank, and as they said when you expect trouble, you bring your rifle/long gun!

NDFMF
05-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Personally, I feel better knowing that our LEOs are carrying ARs. A) it might get people used to the idea that they aren't dangerous evil terrorist weapons. B) it means our LEOs are well armed for situations where whack-jobs open fire on them. Now I just wish they'd lay off on the restrictions on the rest of us and let us defend ourselves. And besides, the AR is a great hunting platform. Just ask my buddy who tagged an army of squirrels last weekend. :punk:

Vtec44
05-22-2009, 12:17 PM
I want to see them busting out AK's :D

trinydex
05-22-2009, 12:40 PM
I would assume so since it would be considered a service/duty weapon....just like your handgun

i was posing that as the requirement, i read somewhere else you can furnish your own patrol rifle as long as you can qualify with it. but this is all through the grapevine stuff... i'm not positive.

catchmychainsaw
05-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Santa Barbara officers keep them locked to the ceiling of the inside of their patrol cars. They look like the business, too.

xm177
05-22-2009, 12:58 PM
Arcadia Police (near Pasadena) have M4 carbines on their motorcycles :eek:. Almost rear-ended a guy at a stoplight when when I had to double-take the cop next to me who was packing one.

Flogger23m
05-22-2009, 1:04 PM
Pleasanton and Livermore PD have ARs in their cars. Usually in place or with a shotgun.

sierrawoodsman
05-22-2009, 1:38 PM
Placer county has them. Fish and game in my area have M1A's

1BigPea
05-22-2009, 1:47 PM
Irvine PD has them in their cruisers too.

tgriffin
05-22-2009, 1:55 PM
Placer county has them. Fish and game in my area have M1A's

Thats one I havent seen yet. Awesome.

stillnotbob
05-22-2009, 2:00 PM
Arcadia Police (near Pasadena) have M4 carbines on their motorcycles :eek:. Almost rear-ended a guy at a stoplight when when I had to double-take the cop next to me who was packing one.

Seriously?... damn I need to look a little harder next time I see one of them. I always see them on Baldwin.

DA1L0
05-22-2009, 2:45 PM
I used to build law enforcement vehicles here in the Bay Area and ARs are pretty much standard now. Mostly mounted to the cage vertically in a dual weapon locking system along side the shotgun. Depending on console size and equipment it may be mounted in the trunk aswell. I know of a particular local PD that has 40mm launchers in their trunks with an asortment of munitions to go along with it (rubber slugs and tear gas). Started seeing this pretty much after the north hollywood shootout.

yellowfin
05-22-2009, 2:48 PM
Personally, I feel better knowing that our LEOs are carrying ARs. A) it might get people used to the idea that they aren't dangerous evil terrorist weapons. Actually that gets curtailed/derailed by the "only military and police" mush. There are vast hordes of sheeple whose fear of firearms is instantly pacified when they see a badge. OC'd Glock on hip wearing jeans and a polo shirt = poop in pants and dial 911 to cry to mommy about the bad men with guns, but the same OC'd Glock in same holster with badge and uniform shirt is magically made perfectly acceptable to them. :rolleyes: Now I just wish they'd lay off on the restrictions on the rest of us and let us defend ourselves. If only it worked that way. It has been said again and again on this forum, and I certainly believe it, that far too many and 100% of the higher ups have absolutely no problem keeping everyone else restricted while they get anything and everything they want. :mad:

Turo
05-22-2009, 2:52 PM
heck, my University PD carries ARs next to the shotguns between the front seats. my friends all think I'm weird when I stop to check out the fun in the cop cars :D

Untamed1972
05-22-2009, 2:54 PM

DAMN! I've seen some motor units with pistol grip shotguns recently, but M4's? That I'd like to see. :thumbsup:

yellowfin
05-22-2009, 2:54 PM
Any of them have cans on them? Might as well since they've got the option. Why go deaf if you don't have to?

Untamed1972
05-22-2009, 3:02 PM
Any of them have cans on them? Might as well since they've got the option. Why go deaf if you don't have to?

I'm sure many of the SWAT guys have them.....not seen any on the patrol units though.

slick_711
05-22-2009, 3:21 PM

No, that would have to be a Dept. issue thing. I know a few SWAT guys with cans, FA, 10.5", etc., but for the most part the normal officers just have semi-auto standard AR15s.

SDPD is very strict (although may be loosening up lately) on what their guys can carry. No flash hider, no collapsible stock, 16", and has to be an approved brand, then they have to qual with it. This doesn't apply to SWAT of course, but their SWAT rifles are Dept. owned.

toaster
05-22-2009, 3:44 PM
heck, my University PD carries ARs next to the shotguns between the front seats. my friends all think I'm weird when I stop to check out the fun in the cop cars :D

I've seen Sac. County Sheriff Deputies rolling with the same arrangement.:thumbsup:

yellowfin
05-22-2009, 3:44 PM
No, that would have to be a Dept. issue thing. I know a few SWAT guys with cans, FA, 10.5", etc., but for the most part the normal officers just have semi-auto standard AR15s.Now that's surprising to me, but I guess that's a carryover of the general non-gun oriented folks' unfamiliarity with cans and/or perhaps stigma. I can see FA being obviously off the list for most because that takes more training perhaps and people get scared of that, but foregoing a muffler just seems stupid when it's easy for them to do it. (It's really stupid in general that suppression and FA get lumped together, but that's a whole 'nother topic.) Most people in the general public who don't currently use them either a) can't because of laws in their area, b) don't know they can get them as the procedures, comparative rarity, and lack of advertising all make them generally not common knowledge, c) don't like the price and/or inconvenience if a & b aren't the case or d) don't expect to be shooting very much if at all without earplugs in. With police none of those apply. Given that, they of all people should be 100% outfitted with them. If so many of the rank and file aren't gun oriented folks, shouldn't cutting down the unpleasant noise, which is likely one of their main beefs with shooting in general, be perhaps their #1 request?

gose
05-22-2009, 3:54 PM
In the Bay Area they seem to store them sticking straight up in the center console, right next to a shotgun. And mind you this isn't Oakland Bay Area...this is suburbs Bay Area. >_>

SSFPD cruisers have them in an overhead rack.

SeanCasey
05-22-2009, 4:47 PM
San Bernardino County has Remington 870 shotguns and Ruger Mini-14's in their cars locked in the center.

Tallship
05-22-2009, 4:51 PM
you have to qualify?

Every SDSO deputy that wants to carry an AR has to go through a two day rifle course before they can carry the gun, and then qualify with it, along with pistol and shotgun during department quals. BTW, some of the SED (swat) guys have FA AR's.

NDFMF
05-22-2009, 5:01 PM
Actually that gets curtailed/derailed by the "only military and police" mush. There are vast hordes of sheeple whose fear of firearms is instantly pacified when they see a badge. OC'd Glock on hip wearing jeans and a polo shirt = poop in pants and dial 911 to cry to mommy about the bad men with guns, but the same OC'd Glock in same holster with badge and uniform shirt is magically made perfectly acceptable to them. :rolleyes: If only it worked that way. It has been said again and again on this forum, and I certainly believe it, that far too many and 100% of the higher ups have absolutely no problem keeping everyone else restricted while they get anything and everything they want. :mad:

Heh, sheeple. And yeah, it really is too bad the higher ups are so complacent in their dealings with gun control. It's a bit hypocritical if you ask me. But, that doesn't change my view that it's good for our LEOs to be adequately armed to fight the hordes of BGs should the SHTF. I'd just like to be able to help them out. That's all. :gunsmilie:

God Bless The Mauser
05-22-2009, 5:24 PM
I'd just like to be able to help them out. That's all. :gunsmilie:

Our shepards don't like sheep dogs.

Ducman
05-22-2009, 5:28 PM
and we got into a fight with some cholos who came to the party that stole some of our friends things and we caught them...long story short we beat the hell out of these guys in the street...after they left a police vehicle came by and a officer had his AR-15 pointed at us.....after we explained to him what happend he was cool as hell, he drove me and 2 buddies to go I.D. the guys because they took off in a truck and got pulled over because there were people in the bed of the truck....these guys got such a beat down there was blood all over them...a yer later i got pulled over for speeding i was going 60 in a 40 and the cop recognized my last name, then i told him "you were probobly at the fight on adenmore st. where we kicked the **** out of those cholos" LOL! the cop started laughing and told me that we did a good job and told me to have a good night and let me go! gotta love those cool cops man!

why do you have to be racist??? Esse .....:p:p:p

KAVEMAN762
05-22-2009, 5:57 PM
I was in santee by the in n out and a chp officer I was talking to had an AR15 in the front of the cruiser. He had to buy his own, he said he even owns a few bullet buttoned ARs and an AK at home. He said he frequents cal guns, which is pretty cool. He didnt want to tell me his username, but I told him mine before I asked for his but I got nothing to hide:thumbsup:

motorhead
05-22-2009, 10:38 PM
most depts keep in trunk because they're known to disappear if the car is left unattended too long.

slick_711
05-22-2009, 11:39 PM
most depts keep in trunk because they're known to disappear if the car is left unattended too long.

Yep because it's really easy to break into a patrol car, take the rifle out of the electronic lock that can't be opened unless the ignition is on, and then get away; all without being seen. :confused:

It'd be easier to pry the trunk open?

flying2275
05-23-2009, 12:39 AM
The Border Patrol carries M-4's also. I was shooting one day during the week out by Otay Lakes about 2 miles from the border and had a Border Patrol agent come and asked me if I had seen anything because one of there sensors was indicating movement past my targets on the mountain. I said no and he asked if I could hold my fire while he walks out there to check it out.

Five minutes later five more agents and a dog pull up and a helicopter is flying overhead. They came walking out shortly with 3 people of a "southern" variety in tow. He said they must have been trying to sneek by in the creek bed and were using my fire as cover!

cryptkeeper
05-23-2009, 1:04 AM
Yep because it's really easy to break into a patrol car, take the rifle out of the electronic lock that can't be opened unless the ignition is on, and then get away; all without being seen. :confused:

It'd be easier to pry the trunk open?

You must not have seen these:

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Thief-Swipes-CHP-Rifle-Ammo.html?corder=reverse

http://www.insidesocal.com/sgvcrime/2009/03/assault-rifle-shotgun-stolen-f.html

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&id=6590078

The Border Patrol carries M-4's also. I was shooting one day during the week out by Otay Lakes about 2 miles from the border and had a Border Patrol agent come and asked me if I had seen anything because one of there sensors was indicating movement past my targets on the mountain. I said no and he asked if I could hold my fire while he walks out there to check it out.

Five minutes later five more agents and a dog pull up and a helicopter is flying overhead. They came walking out shortly with 3 people of a "southern" variety in tow. He said they must have been trying to sneek by in the creek bed and were using my fire as cover!

That's a crazy story!

stag6.8
05-23-2009, 1:37 AM

I saw 3 of them in pomona.....very interesting setup

atavuss
05-23-2009, 5:40 AM

interesting! how did they mount them? are they riding Harleys?
I am a government fleet mechanic and my specific job is to keep 27 Road King Police motorcycles on the road.
our PD cruisers (Ford Crown Victoria) have AR's mounted in between the front seats along with a 12 gauge pump shotgun.

B Strong
05-23-2009, 6:15 AM
Good for them!

The only reason any LEA would be "out-gunned" by any criminal is a lack of dedication to the task at hand by the administration of that department.

I'd have no problem with every officer being trained to use and using the carbine or the SMG during the course of their day-to-day duties.

Jonathan Doe
05-23-2009, 7:06 AM
I've heard that you have to be at a certain rank to carry one, is that true?

Some agencies have a policy that LT or above has to authorize to deploy AR-15's.

cryptkeeper
05-23-2009, 10:56 AM
Some agencies have a policy that LT or above has to authorize to deploy AR-15's.

I'm curious how that works. If they get a call to a bank robbery, they can radio in asking to use the AR-15. I'd assume if they pull a car over and someone gets out with an AK-47, they don't need permission to pull out the AR.

blackfalcon
05-23-2009, 12:45 PM
I use to see depts. carrying MP5's in their units. Guess they are going away from them and carrying ARs. South Pasadena PD carries M4's with 11" barrels and even has aimpoints mounted on them:thumbsup:

socomIInato
05-23-2009, 12:59 PM
they should trade in their ARs for a keltec:rofl2:they can fold it into and hide it better!

slo5oh
05-23-2009, 1:00 PM
Pittsburg (Antioch too I was told) standard issue an AR in the trunk of ALL their patrol cars since the late 90s. Got that around 2001/2002 from a high school friend who had become PitPD. At this point I'd doubt there's ANY city in cali that doesn't put some sort of tactial rifle in their normal black and whites.

Trakker
05-23-2009, 4:50 PM
torrance motorcycle cops with mp5's

fire control and adaptive use of force is critical

ldivinag
05-23-2009, 7:34 PM
hayward pd (at least the K9 cars) have tricked out ARs mounted inside on the trunk lid of the crown vics.

it's mounted via a santa cruz remotely released switch mount...