PDA

View Full Version : Best cleaning solvent

militia_bob
04-14-2005, 6:01 PM
Ok, we all have our favorite cleaning solvents.

I've been using Hoppe's and Break Free for years. I recently bought a bottle of M Pro 7. I haven't tried it yet, but the sales person told me that it's the best out there so far. Did I get SOLD? Or is it actually that good?

Any experience's with other cleaners? ie. Sweets 7.62, Shooters Choice, etc.....

militia_bob
04-14-2005, 6:01 PM

I've been using Hoppe's and Break Free for years. I recently bought a bottle of M Pro 7. I haven't tried it yet, but the sales person told me that it's the best out there so far. Did I get SOLD? Or is it actually that good?

Any experience's with other cleaners? ie. Sweets 7.62, Shooters Choice, etc.....

CraigC
04-14-2005, 6:20 PM
Hoppe's and Break free as well. I've used Sweet's 7.62, and it's sinus-clearing pungent! but it does get all of the copper fouling out real quick.

rkt88edmo
04-14-2005, 6:30 PM
Breakfree/FP10 here and for more thorough jobs I break out the Shooter's Choice bore cleaner. I haven't tried many other products and I don't expect to need to.

imported_edbon9
04-14-2005, 6:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by militia_bob:

I've been using Hoppe's and Break Free for years. I recently bought a bottle of M Pro 7. . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

M Pro 7 is a pretty good powder solvent, I've tried Slip 2000 lately and it does as good a job on powder as M pro 7 but it is cheaper http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif sweet's is great for copper, but you have to be careful on how long u can leave it in the barrel. Tetra also does a good overall cleaning job as well as FP-10.

imported_1911_sfca
04-14-2005, 7:00 PM
I use M pro 7 -- it's pretty good; I consider it not very aggressive. I have some fouling in one barrel; tried one bore cleaner to no avail so I'm gonna try the other brands mentioned here.

But for general parts cleaning, M pro 7 is good stuff. "The best"? Not sure..

sned45
04-14-2005, 9:08 PM
blue wonder works really well. http://www.bluewonder.us/index.html

gobabygo
04-14-2005, 10:17 PM
I've converted to MPro7 also primarily because I don't feel like the fumes are reducing my life span every time I clean my guns.

Turbinator
04-14-2005, 10:44 PM
I recently picked up a bottle of Hoppes.. a really big bottle of hoppes.. curious how people rate Hoppes in the scheme of things?

Turby

Leo762
04-14-2005, 11:41 PM
i love hoppes, it smells great and works well, not the best stuff but it cleans what it has to.

i also use break free and fp 10 for light lube/storage

ivanimal
04-15-2005, 12:52 AM
Break free, kroil and WD-40. no probs in 30 plus years.

militia_bob
04-15-2005, 5:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Leo762:
i love hoppes, it smells great </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya, I like the smell of Hoppe's too. Every time I use it, reminds of my first gun (Marlin .22).

Spotted Owl
04-15-2005, 6:53 AM
Has the formula for Hoppes changed over the years? I seem to remember it smelling different 30 years ago.

Moonclip
04-15-2005, 12:06 PM
Hoppes for most general cleaning can't be beat. Mpro7 for guns that have a nickel or painted finish that I'm afraid the hoppes is too agressive on. Sweets for copper fouling problems.

Now how about the best lubes? I like Rem Oil for general purpose use. Recently bought some tetra gun grease but have no long term use reports. I like grease for guns that are used for defensive purposes as I'm afraid oil will dry off after a long time just sitting as home defense guns sometimes do.

Break free is also a good all around lube but I do not use it for cleaning purposes.

Leo762
04-15-2005, 3:12 PM
i just got some remoil in aerosol from walmart and its pretty good but it doesnt smell as nice as CLP http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif and i just prefer clp

04-16-2005, 12:41 AM
I use Boretech's "Eliminator" copper solvent, this stuff is one of the best that I've ever used. Give it a try, it doesn't contain any ammonia which makes it very safe to use.

forty5r@yahoo.com
04-16-2005, 7:24 AM
I've used the following cleaners

MPro7
Slip2000
FP10
BreakFree
Hoppes
Sweets 7.62

The fastest for general cleaning has been MPro7. I cleaned a shotgun, 2 pistols and 12 magazines in under one hour with MPro-7.

PJA
04-16-2005, 9:12 AM
If you want to get copper fouling out, use "Wipe Out". It is a foam which works overnight. Embarassingly easy.
Pete

Turbinator
04-16-2005, 10:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PJ:
If you want to get copper fouling out, use "Wipe Out". It is a foam which works overnight. Embarassingly easy.
Pete </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My buddy was telling me about that stuff. I guess I'll go look for some. Thanks for the suggestion - he had forgotten what it was called. Now I know what to look for.

Turby

wheelgunner
04-17-2005, 8:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 50_Shooter:
I use Boretech's "Eliminator" copper solvent, this stuff is one of the best that I've ever used. Give it a try, it doesn't contain any ammonia which makes it very safe to use. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ELIMINATOR
2nd that!
I stoped using hoppes, sweets 7.62, barnes copper remover, shooters choice, etc...

However I had to switch to "plastic" brushes and jags.

BRAKLEEN
To remove all cleaning residue. Be VERY CAREFUL with plastics and stock finishes. Must lubricate immediately or will start to rust.

BREAKFREE
For all moving/sliding parts. I do not use in bores because I have read of teflon depostis can hurt accuracy.

WD40
For all my rust protection, in the bore and out.
I did an informal/unscientific rust fighting test. In order of Best to Good. With cold rolled mild steel hanging from wood pegs in back yard. Dates from October to January.
1. WD40
2. Breakfree
3. Kroil
4. Rem Oil
5. Hoppes Lube Oil (not the cleaner)
6. Bore Techs Eliminator

None showed any rust for 1 week.

WD40 and Breakfree were good for almost 4 months.

I have read on other posts that WIPE OUT works great also. Is an overnight cleaner unless you also use their accelerator.

Dan

jon.ocab@gmail.com
04-17-2005, 10:53 PM
I'm surprised no one mentioned Butch's Bore Shine. I guess I'm the only person that uses it.

kalibear
04-18-2005, 7:58 AM
FP-10 works for me for cleaning and lubing

delloro
04-18-2005, 7:59 AM
Different solvents for different jobs

MPro7 works remarkably well to remove carbon fouling and is odor-free. because it is water based, it should do the trick to clean up after shooting corrosive ammo. But it doesn't do anything for copper or lead fouling, and it is supposed to stain certain wood finishes an orange color.

Bore foam is likewise water based, and odorless, and will remove copper fouling, but doesn't clean out the soot as well as MPro7 IME. You can use both indoors and not end up with that shrieking sound coursing through the house. But the foam nwill strip certain wood finishes, shellac is damaged *instantly* (mosins) and oil-based finished are damaged too, but less quickly (and they are easy to fix).

When I have heavy copper deposits, Sweets removes it the old-fashioned way, with lots of ammonia. as a result you WILL have clear sinuses and that shrieking sound will drive you outdoors pronto.

for general light-duty cleaning, I am fond of Shooter's Choice. also, when I am done cleaning a bore with the above products, being a traditionalist, I will always end up with a few patches of SC down the bore. It will leave a rust inhibiting film, and it always seems to pick up a little something.

when all done, I clean my jags, brushes, tips, and rods with soapy water and/or carb cleaner, depending on what I used on them.

some really swear by butch's, other still like Hoppe's, etc. be advised Rem Bore Cleaner is mildly abrasive (as is JB Bore Paste), it is supposed to work quickly and not harm the bore, but some are adverse to any abrasives in a bore.

Ed's Red is economical, but I'm not sure what the big deal is, and you have to make so much at once. Instead of SC, some in the benchreast community swear by GM Top Engine Cleaner and say that it is similar, but I doubt it removes copper.

HTH

Turbinator
04-18-2005, 7:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PJ:
Pete </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, I'm about to go buy some Wipe Out, but reading the reviews on Midway USA's site, I'm a little wary. One guy reports that this stuff attacks brass - so I guess it's ok to use if you don't plan on keeping your firearm loaded..

What's your overall experience with Wipe Out, and for how long have you been using it? Have you used it on handguns, rifles, shotguns?

Turby

imported_dadoody
04-18-2005, 9:21 PM
All my guns are blued, so I use Blue Wonder. It cleans ok. I also use it in combo with a generic nitro solution.

imported_Matt-man
04-19-2005, 12:10 PM
There are some interesting photos of Wipe-out in action in this thread (http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/4711043/m/965100252)at the Accurate Reloading forums.

I use Wipe-out and MPro 7, cause my wife can't handle the smell of Hoppe's. Plus, I'm lazy and I can sit on my *** (or even sleep) while Wipe-out does its thing.

bu-bye
04-19-2005, 6:38 PM
Butch's bore shine. I use CLP too but it was taking 30+ patches to get clean. Butch's has my bore clean in 3-6 patches. Best stuff I have ever used. Better then hoppes and shooters choice IMO

Turbinator
04-20-2005, 11:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt-man:
There are some interesting photos of Wipe-out in action in this thread (http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/4711043/m/965100252)at the Accurate Reloading forums. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the URL for the photos of Wipe Out. Looking forward to trying it out, and will post my results here again!

Turby

PKAY
04-22-2005, 12:39 PM
I use Kroil first in the bore of my handguns. Let it soak for about 20 minutes then follow with JB Bore Cleaner. Once cleaned, a single pass through of a patch with 3-in-1 oil for storage protection.

In Cleaning revolver innards, I use WD-40 and a tooth brush (not to be confused with the one you use in the morning)followed by compressed air. Then lube with my own combo of Marvel Mystery Oil and generic STP. Man, is that slippery stuff!

Greg Beck
04-22-2005, 2:34 PM
I use Hoppes #9. Works fine, though real fowling can take a day of soaking. Then I wipe it down with Starrett tool and instrument oil. Its the best oil. Also, for you hunters, Starrett oil has no detectable smell.