PDA

View Full Version : Night Sights for HK Expert

Justintoxicated
05-22-2009, 12:44 AM
I like my HK .45 Expert but the sights are kinda lame. I mean they are nice in that they are fully adjustable, but I really prefer the sights on my friends glock that has the little white circles.

I was thinking to get Night Sights for my Expert, the ones with white circles around the tritium, but does anyone make night sights that are adjustable like the ones that came on my HK Expert?

PolishMike
05-22-2009, 12:55 AM
IMO the expert is set up as a target gun, therefore the target sight.

Why do you want night sights? For the "cool factor"?

I just think the expert fits best how it is.

mk19
05-22-2009, 12:58 AM
+1, but if you do decide to go with night sights on your HK, I'll buy the factory ones from you.

andrewj
05-22-2009, 1:03 AM
My opinion: leave the Expert alone.

Putting night sights on it would be wasting its potential. Plus, I read that adding a different rear sight will drastically alter your POI since the Expert rear sight sits at a different height than others

ETA:
Take alook at the photo. The rear sight sits lower in the slide. Even with a new front sight, the front sight will be too tall.

http://www.hk-tac.com/images/others/149-5.jpg

B Strong
05-22-2009, 6:10 AM
I have factory nights on my Expert, they're nice.

Check out HKpro.com and see if someone has replacement factory nights available.

LB21
05-22-2009, 6:15 AM
My friend had a set of night sights on his. I think he got the wrong ones as the rear sight had to be cranked up a little high so there was a noticeable gap between the sight and slide (not like what you see in the pic).

He eventually went back to the originals. Not because of any change in POI (after a little adjustment it still shot the same as with the factory sights) but because he hated seeing the gap.

Justintoxicated
05-22-2009, 9:01 AM
well my buddies glock seems to have a better sight system, the little white dots makes it much easier to quickly center the front sight for me.

Otherwise I like the front sights adjust ability although I have not used that just yet. It may be a target gun, but it is also my home defense, and more than likely if something bad were to happen it would happen at night.

I did find this post.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2594931

As well as these sights. Will these sights leave a gap? Why are they wasting the HK's potential?
http://www.topgunsupply.com/meprolight-tru-dot-adjustable-night-sights-h-k-usp-full-size.html

Thanks in advance.

Here is another picture of them.
http://www.hkperfection.com/item/29728_Meprolight_Sights__Lasers_MEP_21516__TD_AS_H K_USP_T.aspx

It looks like the rear will sit lower than the front by design just like the factory sights?

jimrod
05-22-2009, 8:25 PM
I put adjustable Meprolight night sights on both my HK USP45 and Glock 21SF and love them.

Justintoxicated
05-22-2009, 11:35 PM
I put adjustable Meprolight night sights on both my HK USP45 and Glock 21SF and love them.

Did they already have adjustable Sights? I want to make sure I'm not downgrading my sights buy getting these.

Also I hear you can install the sights without a gunsmith, but, I'm concerned with breaking the tritium vials if I have to beat it up to press it in there good.

FatOnCoke
05-23-2009, 12:39 AM
Here are Mepro sights. It's definitely an upgrade.
http://www.meprolight.com/files/images/ML_21516b.jpg

You won't break the tritium vials that easy. I would use a sight pusher and not pound it in with a hammer.

B Strong
05-23-2009, 5:49 AM
Did they already have adjustable Sights? I want to make sure I'm not downgrading my sights buy getting these.

Also I hear you can install the sights without a gunsmith, but, I'm concerned with breaking the tritium vials if I have to beat it up to press it in there good.

You can find rear sight "pusher" type installation tools for around $100.00, a good investment imo - I do all mine and my friends - and do your own without damaging the sight or your gun's finish.

Brownell's has the king of all rear sight install tools, but it goes for something like $500.00 iirc.

LB21
05-23-2009, 9:00 AM
+1 on the sight pusher tool.

My friend did his with a small hammer and a tough polymer punch though, worked fine.

huna koa
05-23-2009, 9:12 AM
night sights for the Expert from Mepro are very good; and are adustable, and yes you need them if you 'carry and work' -at night-in dimly lit places-when the sun goes down. Be sure you get your POI/POA just right and to your normal 'working environment' before you get dressed up and go to work.

Justintoxicated
05-23-2009, 12:42 PM
link to a budget $100 tool that plays well with the expert? For $500 I would rather take it to a gunsmith...
would this one be decent?
https://www.topgunsupply.com/sight-adjust-install-tool-h-amp-k-usp_p2000.html

Also on another forum I found a post discussing the HK nightsights where the guy warns "Also make sure that your smith knows that any of the tall sights should be hammered in, the sight pusher will bend the front sight because it's too tall."

This is getting expensive fast so I would hate to waste a bunch of money on a tool that is only going to cause problems.

Oh yea, and I have been trying to join HKpro, but it seems near impossible took a full day to get the registration confirmation email at which point I had already requested to change my password in hopes that it would kick off another email. Now that has expired so I completed the registration but I have not been able to log in. Pretty poor design.

B Strong
05-23-2009, 9:13 PM
link to a budget $100 tool that plays well with the expert? For $500 I would rather take it to a gunsmith...
would this one be decent?
https://www.topgunsupply.com/sight-adjust-install-tool-h-amp-k-usp_p2000.html

Also on another forum I found a post discussing the HK nightsights where the guy warns "Also make sure that your smith knows that any of the tall sights should be hammered in, the sight pusher will bend the front sight because it's too tall."

This is getting expensive fast so I would hate to waste a bunch of money on a tool that is only going to cause problems.

Oh yea, and I have been trying to join HKpro, but it seems near impossible took a full day to get the registration confirmation email at which point I had already requested to change my password in hopes that it would kick off another email. Now that has expired so I completed the registration but I have not been able to log in. Pretty poor design.

That pusher will work fine.

The issue with the front sight is more of proper alignment of the sight in the slot, and making absolutely sure that the pusher is at a perfect 90 degrees on the blade, and don't force it! Use a little bit of pressure at a time, and then back off and continue as you push it slowly into the milled slot. Lube doesn't hurt either.

BTW, just pulled my Expert out of the safe, and the rear sight is marked "tru-dot" on the right side.

aplinker
05-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Why are you buying night sights if all you want is a colored dot?

You can color your front sight post with neon for about $5.

Justintoxicated
05-24-2009, 12:39 PM

interesting, link?

I just thought night sights would be cool.

Haplo
05-24-2009, 3:18 PM
HK does ship expert and elite models with factory installed mepros which work very well.

LB21
05-25-2009, 7:03 AM

That doesn't work nearly as well as mepros or other brand tritium sights.

Justintoxicated
05-28-2009, 12:55 PM
HK does ship expert and elite models with factory installed mepros which work very well.

I wish I would have known to get mine this way back then, so now its going to cost me $250 to upgrade since I need the tool. Then again maybe I can sell the factory sights to someone to help reduce the cost.

Hitman
05-28-2009, 1:14 PM
I had Ameri-Glo Front night sights for my HK USP Expert 9mm a couple of months ago. Make sure your get the right hieght for the Expert. It worked great for my use and it was not that expensive.

Here is the link.

HK-156-89 USP Expert 8.9 mm n/a Front green $39.00

http://www.ameriglo.net/weapon_site/store_pages/hk_night_sights.html

oldvanhalenrules
06-21-2009, 2:27 PM
I picked up my .45 Expert last week after asking a local HK dealer if they could order this pistol with factory night sights installed. The store (nameless for now) said they called the factory and were told to put Meprolight's on it. Of course, my e-mail response from HK customer service 3 weeks ago said any HK dealer could order the Expert with factory nights from HK. So, I get an Expert that's been sitting in the store case for probably a year plus, but no big deal, as I am happy to help out a local business with slow moving inventory.

But obviously, one of the reasons you choose to purchase a complete pistol from the factory is the assumption that it will be dialed in, or nearly so, when you pick it up. So I take the gun to the range and find that it shoots seriously low. A few clicks would be one thing, but the rear is now dialed up with some significant distance between it and the frame. The packaging for the sights says this model works for the USP expert and the tactical. But it's pretty clear the the front post is too tall, and probably optimized for the tactical, to shoot over the suppressor. I didn't buy the pistol with night sights for IPSC, and don't like the additional snag potential the sights now present.

I've read posts on HKPro and other sites commenting on this issue, and also suggesting an Ameriglo or other front sight. But I haven't seen a definitive answer on what the "right" set up is for a USP expert with night sights. Anyone on this forum use an alternate Mepro front sight, or one from another maker? If so, I'd be curious to know how the tops of the front and rear sights line up, as well as the dots when in low light. I also wonder if I could just put fixed USP full size sights on the pistol.

Any thoughts appreciated.