PDA

View Full Version : Question about public property...

Nessal
05-21-2009, 8:03 PM
So basically your front yard is considered public property and loaded carry is against the law. Your driveway is considered public property as well and loaded carry is unlawful. However, it is safe to say that IN my garage, it is considered private property. Now let's say that my garage door was OPENED, would that still be considered private or public?

phamkl
05-21-2009, 8:12 PM
Front yard is private property but public area. An open garage would probably be public area as well, if there's no physical boundary preventing people from seeing or walking in.

This isn't legal but going on 'feeling' which affects the definition of a public area. Inside your own home is definitely public "property" but with the windows open you can still be given "indecent exposure," as an example.

Fjold
05-21-2009, 8:15 PM
If your front door was open I very much doubt that it would make your living room a public area.

GoodEyeSniper
05-21-2009, 8:26 PM
So, my front yard being completely fenced in by a picket fence, with a padlocked gate, does that make it different than your average suburbia front lawn, which melts into your neighbors lawn?

I mean, the average healthy man can hop the fence with ease, but it's gotta count for something, no?

edwardm
05-21-2009, 8:32 PM
What precisely is leading you to this conclusion?

So basically your front yard is considered public property and loaded carry is against the law. Your driveway is considered public property as well and loaded carry is unlawful. However, it is safe to say that IN my garage, it is considered private property. Now let's say that my garage door was OPENED, would that still be considered private or public?

DDT
05-21-2009, 8:33 PM
So, my front yard being completely fenced in by a picket fence, with a padlocked gate, does that make it different than your average suburbia front lawn, which melts into your neighbors lawn?

Absolutely; makes a BIG difference. This is a private area.

CSDGuy
05-21-2009, 8:33 PM
Your garage would probably still be considered a private area as you can close the door and prevent entry, much like doing that to your front door. Your front lawn and driveway would be considered private property that is publicly accessible unless you fenced it off to inhibit the public from entering your property.That's my take on it.

Chatterbox
05-21-2009, 10:17 PM
One of the cases I've read described an apartment complex surrounded by a fence and a gate with a lock in it. Gate locked automatically, but was frequently propped open. The court ruled that even though the gate was open at the time of the arrest, the suspect was on private property. I'm guessing as long as the garage is closeable/lockable, it remains private property even if the door is open.