PDA

View Full Version : Legal PTR 91 Shipping

Thunderbird
05-21-2009, 7:31 PM
I am an Oklahoma FFL acting as a middleman for a PTR 91 purchase.

Just wanting to know the best way to ship legally into CA.

I was thinking that removal of the lower receiver/fire control group would suffice, but then I remembered the flash hider.

If I must install a Raddlock I will, but I had hoped to avoid that.

Thanks!

Barney Gumble
05-21-2009, 7:37 PM
Separate the upper from the lower and remove the flash hider. Upper goes to the CA FFL (since that is the serialized part), lower and other parts go to the buyer.

If you do the above you don't have to install a Raddlock before shipping. AFter the buyer finishes his 10-day wait and brings it home it's his responsibility to install the Raddlock on the upper before re-assembling everything.

Kudos to you for helping out CA buyers!

a1fabweld
05-21-2009, 7:59 PM
All 4 of my PTR's came with the lower separated from the upper. To the best of my knowledge, you don't need to remove the F/H. The parts can all be shipped together in the same box to the FFL.

superjc
05-21-2009, 8:03 PM
I'm going to ask my FFL about this tomorrow, how he receives them, get his input. PTR =not banned by name, and minus lower = no pistol grip.

Barney Gumble
05-21-2009, 9:29 PM
Pistol grip doesn't matter, what matters is ability to accept a detachable magazine plus any "evil feature". Flash hider is an evil feature.

You could certainly make the argument that without the FCG it's not a rifle but why bother, it's so easy to remove the FH.

Thunderbird
05-22-2009, 5:53 AM
I think I side with Barney on this one.

If it was an AR where the magwell is on the lower and the other evil features were separate then maybe....

but in this case, not only is the upper considered the firearm, it also contains the detachable mag well and flash hider. So by definition you have a firearm; a firearm with the capacity to accept detachable magazines plus at least one assault rifle characteristic.

Now that I have hashed it out I am convinced that ther flash hider must be removed to be legal.

Sicarius
05-22-2009, 6:47 AM
My ffl received mine from DDs with the lower and flash hider removed. It doesn't take more than 10 seconds to remove it.
Kevin

Thunderbird
05-22-2009, 7:46 AM
yeah, field stripping them is easy enough.

Never removed a flash hider, but it is threaded and I know how to turn a crew so.....

swerv512
05-22-2009, 3:29 PM
^^^
+1...
just seperate the lower from the upper and install a bullet button of your choice. not sure if you can detach the pistol grip???

Thunderbird
05-22-2009, 3:53 PM
On the new PTR's the pistol grip is a part of the FCG

rorschach
05-22-2009, 4:42 PM
Just to clarify, the "upper" HK receivers, are serialized. The magwell and mag release are part of the receiver. Unless it has a magazine lock, raddlock, etc, the flash hider must be removed.

The "lower" on an HK is just the trigger housing/pistol grip.

Thunderbird
05-22-2009, 4:54 PM
Just to clarify, the "upper" HK receivers, are serialized. The magwell and mag release are part of the receiver. Unless it has a magazine lock, raddlock, etc, the flash hider must be removed.

The "lower" on an HK is just the trigger housing/pistol grip.

Yes, this is the conclusion I have come to as well