PDA

View Full Version : What iron sights for my ar-15??

Norccer
05-21-2009, 7:32 PM
Ello'

I need a raddlock and Rear sight for my AR but I have a few questions! Which is better??

flip up Rear sight w/ A2 front sight
or w/ Rail mounted front sight
or w/ gas block mounted flip up front sight

I wanted to go troy but they only mount to the rail? Is it really going to be a possible problem in the future if I have the front sight mounted on the rail?

My Rifle:
16" MidLength BCM Upper
9" DD Lite Rail
BCM BCG
CMT Charging Handle
Double Star OLL
Bushmaster LPK
Magpul UBR

Just in case you guys wanted to know, :cool: My only other gun is a M91/30 & I am 18.

jumbopanda
05-21-2009, 7:36 PM
What's on your rifle right now? If it's already got an A2 sight tower, I'd stick with it. If it's got a picatinny rail gas block, put a sight on that. If it has a low profile gas block that fits under the handguard rail, put a sight on that.

Norccer
05-21-2009, 7:39 PM
What's on your rifle right now? If it's already got an A2 sight tower, I'd stick with it. If it's got a picatinny rail gas block, put a sight on that. If it has a low profile gas block that fits under the handguard rail, put a sight on that.

I just have the A2 front sight on right now, but I was thinking of getting a cover for the gas block and putting on a flip up Troy HK sight or getting a flip up sight on the gas block itself. Well, in the case that I keep the A2 front sight, what rear sight should I buy?

deez
05-21-2009, 7:40 PM
There is no right or wrong answer, it's all a matter of personal choice.

Fixed rear sights are definitely sturdier than flip sights, but they're heavier and more obtrusive.

Keep in mind, with gas mounted front sights, they will get hot!

Norccer
05-21-2009, 7:44 PM
There is no right or wrong answer, it's all a matter of personal choice.

Fixed rear sights are definitely sturdier than flip sights, but they're heavier and more obtrusive.

Keep in mind, with gas mounted front sights, they will get hot!

I heard that sights on the rail will become some what inaccurate because the rail shifts over time. Is this an easy fix or no?

SanSacto
05-21-2009, 7:59 PM
I want to get a BCM 16" mid-length upper just like OP. I want to put a 9" DD lite rail on it just like OP. But I would want to swap the A2 front sight for a YHM front flip sight/gas block combo. How hard would that be? I would want to have a professional gunsmith do this rathar than try it on my own. As for the rear sight, I don't know which one but I would want a low profile rear flip sight.

God Bless The Mauser
05-21-2009, 8:30 PM
Im going to get fixed sights for my 24" bull barrel AR so I'll have the option of doing precision shooting with a scope or iron sights.

IW378
05-21-2009, 8:38 PM
I want to get a BCM 16" mid-length upper just like OP. I want to put a 9" DD lite rail on it just like OP. But I would want to swap the A2 front sight for a YHM front flip sight/gas block combo. How hard would that be? I would want to have a professional gunsmith do this rathar than try it on my own. As for the rear sight, I don't know which one but I would want a low profile rear flip sight.
I installed the yhm front sight on 1 of my carbine length uppers and 1 of my rifle length uppers. A quite simple task if you have basic tools. Remove flash supressor, drive out gas tube pin from fsb with 5 /64th" punch, drive out fsb pins, (their tapered usually so measure the head on each side and punch em' out via driving the punch from the small side) Slide off the a2 sight and install the yhm sight. Tighten the set screws evenly and make damn sure it is plumb with the upper (not canted to one side)

Jicko
05-21-2009, 8:57 PM
You can easily go with front and rear troy sights...

Just replace the FSB with this DD gas block.

http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=107

supermario
05-21-2009, 10:20 PM
I use LMT irons, they are great.. With the LMT front sight you can either use the A2 or if you have a rail, they sell the rail mounted front iron sight

Norccer
05-22-2009, 8:27 PM
Guys, I need to know if gas block mounted is going to be more reliable than rail mounted sights or if the difference is minuscule. I want to order soon...

Also, are the MAGPUL BUIS reliable? They are very cheap, but I would rather pay for quality...

aermotor
05-22-2009, 8:48 PM
I like my standard A2 handle style and just got this from Midway and shot the .052 round today, huuuuge improvement over the stock front sight square, but I changed it to the .034 when I got home, will have to try that out, but I'm sure it will improve again.

http://media.midwayusa.com/highres/427154.jpg

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=427154