PDA

View Full Version : Man Accused of Storing Assault Weapons in Arroyo Grande

Crawfish141
05-21-2009, 7:13 PM
http://www.ksby.com/Global/story.asp?S=10406952

Any word on this guy? To me it sounds like an old guy with a nice collection.

Gator Monroe
05-21-2009, 7:18 PM
Hope this is not my fate in 18 to 20 years ?:mad:

Saigon1965
05-21-2009, 7:33 PM
Poor grandpa -

Arraignment postponed for man accused of storing assault weapons

Posted: May 21, 2009 06:48 PM PDT

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Reported by: Jimena Martinez

A judge postpones the arraignment of an Arroyo Grande man accused of storing assault weapons in his home.

61-year-old Howard Krinsky appeared in San Luis Obispo court Thursday.

Krinsky was arrested two weeks ago after investigators acting on a tip found assault weapons in his home.

Investigators are still on the look-out for Krinsky's alleged accomplice, 52-year-old Alan Garrison.

Krinsky is now set to be arraigned on June 4.

Assault type weapons found in rural Arroyo Grande home

Posted: May 5, 2009 02:25 PM PDT

Updated: May 17, 2009 07:11 AM PDT

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

SAN LUIS OBISPO COUNTY SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT

TYPE OF INCIDENT: Weapons Offense

DATE AND TIME OF INCIDENT: 5-5-09 10:15AM

PLACE OF OCCURRENCE: 500 blk Erhart Dr. rural Arroyo Grande

VICTIM INFORMATION: State of California

SUSPECT INFORMATION: Howard Alan Krinsky 12-27-47

DETAILS OF NEWS RELEASE:

San Luis Obispo County Sheriff's Special Operations Unit (SOU) deputies searched a home in the 500 block of Erhart Drive in rural Arroyo Grande this morning looking for a wanted person.

Acting on information from a private bail agent, deputies searched the home for the wanted man and were given prior intelligence that the occupant, Howard Krinsky, may have assault weapons and explosives.

Krinsky was detained by authorities near the home while SOU deputies, assisted by SLO Bomb Task Force, rendered the area safe. Several local homes were evacuated as a precaution.

Krinsky was taken into custody for weapons violations after deputies discovered unregistered assault type weapons, including an AK-47 and Colt assault rifles. No explosives were found.

Bail amount has not been set as of this press release.

Gator Monroe
05-21-2009, 7:38 PM
I'm there (WASR 22 & Retro M16A1/AR hybrid):TFH:

Matt C
05-21-2009, 7:39 PM
%$#^#%&$^&%$%. #$%#$%.:mad:

cortayack
05-21-2009, 7:46 PM
%^&*......Someone stitched on this old man....Most likely didn't know they where illegal and needed to be registered....That is what happens when you let someone in your house and show what you got! The police kicking down your door..........

Fjold
05-21-2009, 8:02 PM
%^&*(.....Someone stitched on this old man....Most likely didn't know they where illegal and needed to be registered....That is what happens when you let someone in your house and show what you got! The police kicking down your door..........

Acting on information from a private bail agent, deputies searched the home for the wanted man

Apparently his roommate was wanted and the cops saw the guns in the house.

SteveH
05-21-2009, 11:01 PM
Acting on information from a private bail agent, deputies searched the home for the wanted man

Looks that way.

sega18
05-22-2009, 8:44 PM
Isn't that unconstitutional? Isn't there something that says a LEO can't happen to see anything in a house if that's not what he's there for? I recall something from my history class.

SteveH
05-22-2009, 9:33 PM
Once legally inside the house, the cops can do a protective sweep, looking only where a person could be hiding. Anything illegal seen during that protective sweep is admissable. "The eyes can commit no tresspass"

TheBundo
05-22-2009, 11:16 PM
Why do some think a 61 year old is a senile old man?

CenterX
05-22-2009, 11:25 PM

I agree - 61 is the new 41. And I've known 36 year old grandpas and 83 year old new dads.

You never know who your friends are. Imagine yourself renting a room and then finding out your friend was into some twisted behavior and you get popped for it as well.

Be careful.

SJgunguy24
05-23-2009, 10:14 AM
A private bail agent would be a skip tracer or bondsman. They don't need a warrant just a reasonable suspicion and the paperwork for whomever their going after. They can kick in your door and they carry guns.

cortayack
05-23-2009, 10:23 AM

Will, then he $%^&*(.........But I still think this is over stepping their boundies.....I would never give the authorties the power to come into my home without a legal warrent....

Crawfish141
05-23-2009, 3:12 PM

Who said he was senile?

Fate
05-23-2009, 3:31 PM
Misdemeanor possession only?

Quake0
05-23-2009, 5:21 PM
%$#^#%&$^&%$%. #$%#$%.:mad:

I can't help but think you are mad.

Pred@tor
05-23-2009, 5:34 PM
Wow I am from there.... news to me... Don't know this dude but if I did he'd probably be my BFF! :D

n6nvr
05-27-2009, 2:22 AM
F*ckup......Someone stitched on this old man....Most likely didn't know they where illegal and needed to be registered....That is what happens when you let someone in your house and show what you got! The police kicking down your door..........

I guess I better be careful, I'm getting closer to 61 then I want to admit.

61 is not old, and to say he didn't know it stretches the credibility. It was made pretty clear in a lot of ways that registration was at hand. NOBODY that was not a hermit could not have been aware.

That said, if he, like many others back a few years ago (when he was apparently already not of sound mind) decided NOT to register any potentially registerable guns, the prevailing wisdom was you better keep yer yap shut about them and be wary of who knows you have them. And not have friends or relatives who didn't ALWAYS have your best interests at heart. Lot's of people figured that if any were found it would likely be as a result of other factors. Like this.

GaryV
05-27-2009, 3:30 PM
Will, then he $%^&*........But I still think this is over stepping their boundies.....I would never give the authorties the power to come into my home without a legal warrent....

It says they were looking for a wanted person, which means they had an arrest warrant. Plus, they were tipped that there might be banned guns and explosives, so I would bet that they had a search warrant as well. Even if they only had the arrest warrant, they can look everywhere in the house where a person could be hiding, and anything they see in the course of that search is legal for them to act on.

pat038536
05-27-2009, 4:33 PM
They don't need a warrant just a reasonable suspicion and the paperwork for whomever their going after. They can kick in your door and they carry guns.

Umm.. no they can't

1299.09. (a) An individual authorized by Section 1299.02 to apprehend a bail fugitive shall not forcibly enter a premises except as provided for in Section 844.
(b) Nothing in subdivision (a) shall be deemed to authorize an individual authorized by Section 12099.02 to apprehend a bail fugitive to apprehend, detain, or arrest any person except as otherwise authorized pursuant to Chapter 5 (commencing with Section 833) of Title 3 of Part 2, or any other provision of law.

1299.10. An individual authorized by Section 1299.02 to apprehend a bail fugitive shall not carry a firearm or other weapon unless in compliance with the laws of the state.

1299.11. Any person who violates this act, or who conspires with another person to violate this act, or who hires an individual to apprehend a bail fugitive, knowing that the individual is not authorized by Section 1299.02 to apprehend a bail fugitive, is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of five thousand dollars ($5,000) or by imprisonment in the county jail not to exceed one year, or by both that imprisonment and fine.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?WAISdocID=46684123560+0+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve

leitung
05-29-2009, 4:20 PM
Bail agents can carry firearms.. they have to have PC 832 and a couple of other things, I know a bounty hunter that carries a firearm daily.

forgiven
05-29-2009, 4:56 PM
Another reminder of just how screwed up Kalifornia is.:nuts:

compsoftstation
05-30-2009, 10:29 AM
This is BS!!!!!! and we should stone the person who tipped them in...

cortayack
05-30-2009, 10:48 AM
It says they were looking for a wanted person, which means they had an arrest warrant. Plus, they were tipped that there might be banned guns and explosives, so I would bet that they had a search warrant as well. Even if they only had the arrest warrant, they can look everywhere in the house where a person could be hiding, and anything they see in the course of that search is legal for them to act on.

I believe a search warrent specifies what LE is looking for and an Arrest warrent is looking for an individual which I believe doesn't allow them to search the home unless they are looking for that individual...If the individual is found and arrested there shouldn't of been any search.... I think he can fight this in court but him getting is guns back, not!

ivanimal
05-30-2009, 10:59 AM
I am concerned about the rifle tips painted to resemble airsoft in the picture. He was no friend of ours folks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/ivanimal/orasngetips.jpg

goober
05-30-2009, 11:57 AM
I am concerned about the rifle tips painted to resemble airsoft in the picture. He was no friend of ours folks.

looks more like blank adapters to me, but i dunno.
anyway i'd have to agree he was not a shining example of responsible gun ownership...

norcal13
06-06-2009, 12:25 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/ivanimal/orasngetips.jpg

could they be plastic caps to cover the bore for storage?

i for one will not be so quick to throw another gun owner out to the wolves on the evidence of a fuzzy picture.

Fate
06-06-2009, 12:33 PM
could they be plastic caps to cover the bore for storage?

i for one will not be so quick to throw another gun owner out to the wolves on the evidence of a fuzzy picture.
+1. Look like muzzle covers to me.

glockwise2000
06-08-2009, 4:59 PM
So, what's it gonna be? Misdemeanor or felony for this charges?

glockwise2000
06-08-2009, 5:01 PM
It is awfully sickening how twisted the CA law is. Here goes an oldie without any criminal record (I Hope) and suddenly he becomes one.

F***:mad:

TheBundo
06-08-2009, 10:05 PM
I guess I better be careful, I'm getting closer to 61 then I want to admit.

61 is not old, and to say he didn't know it stretches the credibility. It was made pretty clear in a lot of ways that registration was at hand. NOBODY that was not a hermit could not have been aware.

That said, if he, like many others back a few years ago (when he was apparently already not of sound mind) decided NOT to register any potentially registerable guns, the prevailing wisdom was you better keep yer yap shut about them and be wary of who knows you have them. And not have friends or relatives who didn't ALWAYS have your best interests at heart. Lot's of people figured that if any were found it would likely be as a result of other factors. Like this.

George Foreman is a few months from 61 years old. I wouldn't want to fight him, at 61, at the best point in my life.

SgtWaggoner
06-08-2009, 11:34 PM
It stinks. Poor Guy, probably just a guy who likes rifles, is now considered a "FELON"...it's so sad he has the same title as some punk that served time for a drive by or that kind of thing. It's bad enough they are taking his guns away & his right to own them, but to call him a a criminal really stinks.
:mad::mad::mad:

WileyWilly
06-10-2009, 5:17 PM
http://www.ksby.com/Global/story.asp?S=10482052

Arroyo Grande man pleads not guilty to storing assault weapons

Posted: June 4, 2009 05:25 PM

Video Archives: Howard Krinsky
Alan Garrison

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Reported by: Kelly Bush

An Arroyo Grande man accused of storing assault weapons in his home pleads not guilty in a San Luis Obispo County courtroom.

61-year-old Howard Krinsky was arrested last month after investigators acting on a tip found assault weapons in his home.

Krinsky is due back in court on June 18.

Late last month, deputies arrested 52-year-old Alan Garrison in connection with that same seizure.

I haven't heard anything more on this.
WW

nicki
06-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Maybe someone from this forum who lives down around San Luis should track down this guy, be nice, tell him who we are and how we found out about his case.

The first thing you should ask him is did you catch him and a bad time and if so, would there be a better time to talk to him.

Tell him that you are not trying to sell him anything, that you are not from the police.

Your purpose is just to make contact, so that you can contact this board and see what can be done to help him.

It would be good if you had a laptop with a wireless like Verizon, Sprint card etc with you just in case this guy is not connected to the internet.

That way you could show him who we are.

It should be as simple as this.

Calguns.net is a California based gun forum, we read about what happened to you, would like to get your side of the story, if you have a attorney, we will talk with him.

If this guy doesn't have an attorney and can't afford one, we may be the only people on his side.

Right now we really need more information. The guy may look at the situation and say, I can't fight or risk things, in that case, we may be able to help him get a plea bargain that will limit his damages.

Most people outside of this forum don't understand the legal system, how it really works.

The bottom line is we are going to need to find plaintiffs to challenge the AW bans once we have incorporation.

Getting "standing" is a big issue. The Heller case originally had 6 plaintiffs, it was difficult to find a plaintiff who had standing.

I'm not a lawyer, but we may have a problem finding plaintiffs with standing on the AW ban.

I don't know about you guys, but I am not eager to deliberately break a law with felony penalties to challenge it.

If Nordyke is upheld in en banc, and if this guy is clean except for this gun charge, we may have a ready to go client to challenge both the Roberti Roos bill and AB23.

I don't know what other cases the Calguns foundation has going, I know these cases are expensive and we just may not have the resources at this time.

On the other hand, if we Nordyke gets reaffirmed, we may find ourselves getting increased support from the gun industry itself.

Nicki

triggerhappy
06-14-2009, 9:25 AM
THIS is exactly why I am moving!!! This fella could be the sheriff's best friend and beer-buddy if this was in Arizona or Kentucky. But, here in the People's Republic, he's booked, jailed, and most likely, imprisoned. I hope all the people involved in this travesty get incurable gingivitis and B.O.

jacques
06-15-2009, 6:32 PM
Gingivitis and BO. That is harsh. It would only offend the people around them.

Hard to tell what is happening. He pleaded innocent though.

Turbinator
06-22-2009, 5:48 PM
83 year old new dads.

I dunno. James Doohan was one; but he passed away long before his kid could grow up. His son is now growing up without a father. I'm not sure I would encourage 83 year olds to have kids at that age..

Turby

EscapeFromCal
08-22-2009, 4:19 PM
Any reason this thread died?

EscapeFromCal
08-22-2009, 4:30 PM
Here is a article written by the local liberal news rag after their story on this case:http://www.newtimesslo.com/cover/2922/what-assault-weapons-ban/ it was a front cover story...and has been quoted on some "gun control" websites. Great input from Calguns in this article and the reason I became a member (I had not heard of Calguns previous to this). Very impressed with the site.

rkt88edmo
08-22-2009, 5:03 PM
Welcome aboard, hard to follow the news when there is no new happenings, things just fall off the radar.

I'm surprised this didn't get posted back when the article came up that quoted Gene. then again, they quoted the whirlybird nowicki too. Thanks for posting it.

Dang looks like one of those anti-tank guns in front of the table, wonder what the calibre and that bad boy is.

Alaric
08-22-2009, 10:22 PM
Looks like his buddy got 6 years.

http://www.ksby.com/Global/story.asp?s=10560050 (http://www.ksby.com/Global/story.asp?s=10560050)

Man gets six years in prison in connection with Arroyo Grande weapons seizure

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Reported by: Kelly Bush

One of two men accused in a local weapons seizure is sentenced to six years in prison.

The San Luis Obispo County District Attorney's Office says the sentence for 52-year-old Alan Garrison was handed down Wednesday. He received four years for converting a firearm into a machine gun and an additional two years for failing to appear in court.

Garrison's arrest late last month came weeks after deputies took 61-year-old Howard Krinsky into custody. Investigators say they found assault weapons in Krinsky's Arroyo Grande home.

Krinsky was in court Thursday for a pre-preliminary hearing, but it was postponed until next month.

Krinsky is pleading not guilty to the charges, according to another story on the same site. His prelim hearing was postponed until July, but there don't seem to be any followup stories since then. :confused:

Untamed1972
08-25-2009, 2:29 PM
Maybe someone from this forum who lives down around San Luis should track down this guy, be nice, tell him who we are and how we found out about his case.

The first thing you should ask him is did you catch him and a bad time and if so, would there be a better time to talk to him.

Tell him that you are not trying to sell him anything, that you are not from the police.

Your purpose is just to make contact, so that you can contact this board and see what can be done to help him.

It would be good if you had a laptop with a wireless like Verizon, Sprint card etc with you just in case this guy is not connected to the internet.

That way you could show him who we are.

It should be as simple as this.

Calguns.net is a California based gun forum, we read about what happened to you, would like to get your side of the story, if you have a attorney, we will talk with him.

If this guy doesn't have an attorney and can't afford one, we may be the only people on his side.

Right now we really need more information. The guy may look at the situation and say, I can't fight or risk things, in that case, we may be able to help him get a plea bargain that will limit his damages.

Most people outside of this forum don't understand the legal system, how it really works.

The bottom line is we are going to need to find plaintiffs to challenge the AW bans once we have incorporation.

Getting "standing" is a big issue. The Heller case originally had 6 plaintiffs, it was difficult to find a plaintiff who had standing.

I'm not a lawyer, but we may have a problem finding plaintiffs with standing on the AW ban.

I don't know about you guys, but I am not eager to deliberately break a law with felony penalties to challenge it.

If Nordyke is upheld in en banc, and if this guy is clean except for this gun charge, we may have a ready to go client to challenge both the Roberti Roos bill and AB23.

I don't know what other cases the Calguns foundation has going, I know these cases are expensive and we just may not have the resources at this time.

On the other hand, if we Nordyke gets reaffirmed, we may find ourselves getting increased support from the gun industry itself.

Nicki

But once incorporation comes thru couldn't anyone who's ever been convicted of an AW crime challenge their conviction stating the recent court precedent has made the law they were convicted of unconstitutional?

No need for someone to risk new charges......find someone who's already been convicted of it.

1923mack
08-25-2009, 3:13 PM
This guy is going to have assault rifle, machine gun and more charged against him. He sounds like more than just a guy with a few pre registrtion guns.

GuyW
08-25-2009, 4:24 PM
But once incorporation comes thru couldn't anyone who's ever been convicted of an AW crime challenge their conviction stating the recent court precedent has made the law they were convicted of unconstitutional?

I've been told under current "law" - "no", but we could could pass a new law that requires such....

gturner140
08-28-2009, 9:30 PM
Krinsky thought the bail agent was a friendly and offered the info to him, unfortunately. Garrison and Krinsky then pointed fingers at each other and seem to be equally culpable and aware of what they were doing. They had multiple full auto receivers, unregistered AW, and other class 3. The original bust was Garrison selling a full-auto to undercover in a nearby city.

kf6tac
08-28-2009, 10:49 PM
I believe a search warrent specifies what LE is looking for and an Arrest warrent is looking for an individual which I believe doesn't allow them to search the home unless they are looking for that individual...If the individual is found and arrested there shouldn't of been any search.... I think he can fight this in court but him getting is guns back, not!

LEOs can conduct a search incident to arrest that covers the arrestee's person and the area "within his immediate control," which has been defined as the area from within which he could gain possession of a weapon or destructible device. All that is required is that there be some possibility that the suspect can reach the area being searched. Additionally, LEOs can search closets and other spaces immediately adjoining the place of an arrest to make sure that no possible attacker is there; this can be done as a precautionary measure and requires no specific facts suggesting a risk of attack.

I don't believe there is procedure for such a challenge under state law. They could file a habeas corpus petition in federal court challenging it, but the U.S. Supreme Court has been very demanding of such petitions. They generally require that legal rule forming the basis of a petitioner's appeal be dictated by precedent that existed at the time the conviction became final, which would preclude most habeas appeals of firearms convictions that occurred prior to Heller.

Wombat25
05-19-2010, 7:50 AM
Hate to bump an old thread, but there's a story today in the local paper:

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2010/05/18/1145564/ag-man-takes-the-stand-in-firearms.html

radioburning
05-19-2010, 8:02 AM
Collecting guns=obviously a criminal. Freedom? Yeah, we got freedom. Just don't ever exercise it, or your door will get kicked down and you'll be dragged into a legal quagmire that can last for years, or decades...

winnre
05-19-2010, 10:15 AM
How many guns can you legally own before the cops arrest you to look for something going on?

Barabas
05-19-2010, 10:25 AM
Another case of being made a criminal for doing nothing? Am I the only one that sees this as a potential test case on appeal once McDonald is released?

goober
05-19-2010, 10:46 AM
while he may have been on the level, he was rooming with a criminal. doesn't help.

PatriotnMore
05-19-2010, 10:54 AM
In the book "Unintended Consequences" it shows actual for sale ads from the day that unit sold for about $200.00, if my memory serves me correctly. Not bad of a return on investment.

"Krinsky said he bought a Lahti anti-tank weapon that he estimated to be about 80 inches long from a private seller in 1966 or 1967 before the Gun Control Act of 1968, which regulated firearms sales.
He said that the anti-tank weapon’s historical significance is that it had German stamps on it from World War II; he estimated the cannon’s value at $70,000.

Read more: http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2010/05/18/1145564/ag-man-takes-the-stand-in-firearms.html#ixzz0oOnrC6fp"

OlderThanDirt
05-19-2010, 12:37 PM
The picture in the article is a classic. The firearm is clearly a M1a with a muzzle brake. If this is indicative of most of the weapons, this guy is being screwed over legal firearms. Unfortunately, he also admitted to possession of a machine gun that was a gift, but that he never opened the packaging or fired the gun. Right! He never even peaked? What a waste of a really nice gun collection.

M1A Rifleman
05-19-2010, 1:10 PM
Regarding the picture of him in court and in the jury box with an attorney handling a M1A. The M1A has the FS, not the muzzle break from what I can tell.

winnre
05-19-2010, 1:37 PM
while he may have been on the level, he was rooming with a criminal. doesn't help.

Can you ask a potential roommate or renter about their criminal history?

OlderThanDirt
05-19-2010, 4:43 PM
Regarding the picture of him in court and in the jury box with an attorney handling a M1A. The M1A has the FS, not the muzzle break from what I can tell.

You are correct. It looked more like a muzzle brake on the low resolution screen I was using this morning. FS very bad for the poor guy. I doubt the M1a had a magazine lock...

GuyW
05-19-2010, 9:21 PM
Can you ask a potential roommate or renter about their criminal history?

WTH - why not??

ccandgc
05-19-2010, 9:41 PM
I love how CA is listed as the "victim" :censored: