PDA

View Full Version : Saiga & 922(r) ??

neomentat
05-21-2009, 5:55 PM
If I don't do a pistol grip conversion on the Saiga and get it to take legal AK high cap mags do I need to play the 922r game? Does 922r apply when there's no pistol grip?

jt1911
05-21-2009, 6:15 PM
I believe high capacity mags constitute the gun "unsporting" and so then you would need to drop the foreign parts down to comply with 922r.

Edit: Should be an easy fix. Use a US high cap mag and change out one part and presto, compliant.

supermario
05-21-2009, 10:16 PM
If I don't do a pistol grip conversion on the Saiga and get it to take legal AK high cap mags do I need to play the 922r game? Does 922r apply when there's no pistol grip?

One its modified to accept high cap Ak mags you do have to comply
with 922r. regardless if its left in stock configuration.

zeus45c
05-22-2009, 1:53 AM
922r compliance does in fact need to happen when using magazines higher than ten rounds. I personally would like to do the same thing but want to avoid relying on magazines for my compliance. I personally think there is too much room for error. Dinzag Arms has a drop in fire control kit for unconverted Saigas that counts as two parts. You can then throw an America made hand guard (Tapco) for three parts. The last part is somewhat of a tough decision. I would prefer to switch out the stock but no one makes an oem comb stock domestically. Another option would be the gas piston but I have read that the Saiga one is better because it chromed rather than just stainless steel.

Do you know anyone that can make a custom wood stock?

SJgunguy24
05-22-2009, 2:07 AM
Just do the conversion, the trigger improvement alone makes it worth it. When the stock is swapped out for an AK stock, the overall length of the rifle is cut 4-5 inches. A shorter rifle tends to handle better. I will always lean towards internal parts for 922r compliance, just makes it easier..........Oh snap I forgot "The Mag".......can't shoot that rifle.