PDA

View Full Version : Get Saiga rifles in CA?

jnojr
09-06-2005, 10:14 AM
It's my understanding that Saiga rifles are banned because they're "AK series". Well, the Vulcan AR-15 is an "AR series", but it's OK. So why not the non-pistol-grip Saigas?

50 Freak
09-06-2005, 10:22 AM
Because the AR/Vulcan series are non detachable mags. Whereas the Siaga will be a detachable gun. Regardless if the Siaga is a 10 rounder or 30 rounder.

Trust me, I'd love to get past this "series" restriction. I've been wanting a 308 VEPR for a long time.

bwiese
09-06-2005, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by jnojr:
Well, the Vulcan AR-15 is an "AR series", but it's OK. So why not the non-pistol-grip Saigas?

Because the Vulcan is not an AR series gun. Whether or not it takes AR uppers doesn't necessarily make it an AR-series; a magwell, pistol grip and action style are all key elements of "AR-ness". The fixed lo-cap mag was considered a sufficient distinction from AR land and thus it is not an AR, no matter that it takes AR uppers.

Also, the Vulcan receiver itself - even without that permanently-affixed mag - is not listed on the DOJ's own Roster of AR15 and AK Series Weapons, which does give it some protection via Harrott v Kings County decision. However, Saigas are specifically listed here as banned.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Pulsar
09-06-2005, 4:53 PM
How bout making them non-detatchable mags? I fail to see how doing that would make them still illegal... but then again, we are in california.

Just curious cause I really want to build a PSL, but of course they are illegal.

50 Freak
09-06-2005, 4:59 PM
A ten round fixed Siaga is useless as there would be no way to load it except dropping in round by round. Because of their gas system, they can't be fed via stripper clips.

Stick with a SKS if you were going to do that. Cheaper and much better than a fixed mag siaga.

bwiese
09-07-2005, 3:08 AM
Originally posted by Pulsar:
How bout making them non-detatchable mags? I fail to see how doing that would make them still illegal... but then again, we are in california.

Non-detachable 10rd mags, like the California FAL setup, are only good for non-AR/non-AK guns that are not listed on DOJ's Roster of AR15 and AK Series Weapons and that also are not on the original Roberti-Roos list of 50-plus specifically-named guns.

California FALs, for example, can be built up w/a nondetachable 10rd mag on an Imbel, Coonan, etc. receiver but can NOT be built up from a true FN-FAL receiver (unless, of course that FN FAL receiver were reg'd as an AW back in Jan 1991, making this discussion of it moot.)

Bill W.
San Jose