PDA

View Full Version : AR Pistol in CA, What is the deal?

bambihunter
05-21-2009, 7:47 AM
Hello, I was wondering if some of you guys could shed some light upon this subject. I have seen the "one shot" AR pistol, I have also heard that you can do BB equipped 10 shot fixed mag semi. With the first option can you have detach mags? I would opt for the second route as it being a semi is more important to me...
I also heard that when you dros it you have the option of specifying what you wish to have, semi or single shot?
Thanks for the help.

freakshow10mm
05-21-2009, 7:56 AM
Needs to be DROS'd as a single shot. Mag lock and sled mag. After pickup, you can put in a 10rd mag for a semi auto. That's how I and others make and send ARs to be legal for CA.

ghost
05-21-2009, 8:04 AM
if youre doing a ppt it can be left in semi-auto,but if its a ffl transfer it has to be a single shot to be exempt from the roster.after the 10 days is up you can change it back to semi-auto if you want to.either way it`ll still need a bb/maglock and 10rd magazine to be cali complaint.

bambihunter
05-21-2009, 8:42 AM
From what I have gathered the pistol need to be complete, IE not just a stripped lower. Is this correct, where would be a good place to get one in SOCAL?

ghost
05-21-2009, 8:51 AM
From what I have gathered the pistol need to be complete, IE not just a stripped lower. Is this correct, where would be a good place to get one in SOCAL?

you can ppt a stripped pistol lower,if its a dealer sale or transfer it has to be complete.

Full Clip
05-21-2009, 9:52 AM
I wish there was a CalGuns-approved flow chart on this subject...
(Hint, hint...)

bluestaterebel
05-21-2009, 11:15 AM
I wish there was a CalGuns-approved flow chart on this subject...
(Hint, hint...)

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=157216&highlight=ar+pistol

yasushi
05-22-2009, 8:34 AM
Iíve been following the AR pistol posting for few months and the whole process seems pretty straightforward as far as the pistol being drosíd as a single shot.

One item that Iíve been perplexed about is how legal are those AR pistols that have the threaded barrels? I understand that being single shot it is fine but how about later when converted as semi-auto? Arenít threaded barrel on semi-auto pistols illegal in CA? Are the suppressor/comps being pinned & welded before being converted into semi-auto??

Arteel
05-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Wait, so can you have a FVG on an AR pistol with a fixed mag?

I've always thought you couldn't.

Rukus
05-22-2009, 12:16 PM
A VFG makes the AR Pistol into an AOW and should not be done without the proper Tax stamp.

ke6guj
05-22-2009, 12:22 PM
Wait, so can you have a FVG on an AR pistol with a fixed mag? CA doesn't regulate a VFG on a non-AW pistol.

I've always thought you couldn't.that's because the feds do regulate VFGs on pistols and consider them to be AOWs, Any other Weapons, because they feel that it no longer meets the definintion of a handgun when it has a VFG on it. So, fill out the papework, send in your money, and get back an approved AOW Form, and you can comply with federal law and put a VFG on a handgun.

roc
06-02-2009, 3:00 PM
does anyone know the process of getting a AR rifle lower legally converted to a pistol lower? is that too big of a pain in the ***? am i better off just going with a single shot complete pistol?

smokingloon
06-02-2009, 3:19 PM
does anyone know the process of getting a AR rifle lower legally converted to a pistol lower? is that too big of a pain in the ***? am i better off just going with a single shot complete pistol?

Once a lower is registered a rifle, it is a rifle.

You have to register the lower as a pistol.

aplinker
06-02-2009, 5:05 PM

Can't be done... you could get it SBR'd... :rofl2:

You have to buy a complete single shot pistol.

Table Rock Arms
06-02-2009, 6:21 PM
OC armory had an AR pistol in stock on Sunday. I already own one so I didn't look for the price. Looked like it was a Gunsmoke enterprises pistol with a 4 rail handgaurd and railed gas block. If you really want one that is about as easy as it gets. Of course that was Sunday and it might be gone by now.

Ryan

Futurecollector
06-02-2009, 7:06 PM

No you just slap a short barrel on it and call it a day :sleeping:;)

lmao