View Full Version : Does anybody have a lasermax guide rod laser on their Glock?

05-20-2009, 11:11 PM
Does anybody have a lasermax guide rod laser on their Glock? I really like the idea of the laser being out of sight and was thinking of buying one. Do any of you guys have one installed and how do you like it. Is this a quality product or is the laser guide rod weaken the gun? Any comments would be helpful. Thanks. How often does the battery have to be changed and is it easy to activate the laser while holding the gun?

05-20-2009, 11:15 PM
there was a member here thinking of going that route. hope this helps

05-20-2009, 11:42 PM
there was a member here thinking of going that route. hope this helps

Thanks buddy, I dont think i will go with a lasermax. I dont want anything that can take away the reliability of a Glock, even if the chances are slim.
Only thing is, the crimson trace lasers for glocks look ugly i think.

05-21-2009, 12:39 AM
I do and I don't think it affects reliability. I you want a laser this is the way to get on on you pistol.

Having said that I don't feel it or any laser is worth the cost. You will only benefit from the laser during night time in which case if you had a compact weapon light it would mark your target just as well at handgun distance and you would see your target.

Lasers are not very visible on targets in the daylight. I feel they are useless outdoors during daylight. They show up well indoors during daylight but so do your sights.

IMO, a laser sight is very cool but not very practical. If they weren't so bloody expensive I say go for it but because they are pricy I suggest trying one before you buy. They may not do what you expected.

05-21-2009, 7:42 AM
I have one on my Glock. It's cool factor is pretty high, but that wears off
fairly quickly. Whenever I go to the range I may shoot a few rounds with it
on. Then turn it off the rest the rest of the night. It is easy to turn on & off.
I had some early reliability issues but none since.
Would I buy it now knowing what I know. Yup. But only because I have so many other guns that I shoot.

Mac Attack
05-21-2009, 8:56 AM
A few years back on an impulse I decided to purchase a laser for my G30. I looked at models from LaserMax and Crimson Trace and did a lot of research on both before settling on a CT. What I found was the LM could not be adjusted to POI and basically was calibrated to a set distance (15 or 25 yards I think). At the time of my research the LM was prone to Fouling and I read many posts on THR, Arfcom and several other gun baords that reliability was mediocure. Another big thing was the activation of the laser, though simple, was not intuitive and under the stress of SD shooting was not very intuitive. Sure you could train with to make it second nature like swiping off the safety, but to me it was a eliminating factor and is is not good for a carry weapon.

The CT on the otherhand, allows for adjusting the POI to coincide with your sites, was grip activated thus easier to turn on and off instinctively, offered a excellent warranty which includes batteries for life, and although external didn't really make it uncomfortalbe. I was also able to use it with my current VMII and CQC/S holsters.

It took me over 100 rounds to get it sited in but eventually I was able to fine tune my CT for a range of 25 feet which is the range I practice at. I found the POI at shorter distances was not that far off. Price was a little higher than the LM but I got mine at a great price from a buddy of mine.

The only thing is I am the type of shooter who at the range likes to keep a low profile and not draw attention to myself. When I shoot with it at the range I stick out like a punker at a classic music concert. I pulled it off after a year of using it but just put it back on a few months ago for my wife who is more of a point shooter than site shooter.

Truth be told after shooting with it I realized just how unsteady my hold was and how inconsistent my trigger pull was. I used it as a means to improve the consistency of my aiming/trigger control via dry firing. My accuracy actually improved. However I prefer my sites over the laser and found the dot to be distracting for marksmanship purposes. For SD practice the CT it is fine but it would be nice if you could turn it off when not wanted.

Now my information is dated a few years so the LM may have changed or flaws may have been identified on the CT so take what I said with a grain of salt.

For me a laser is the type of thing that you hardly ever use but when you need it it better work.

05-21-2009, 9:48 AM
A laser is a wonderful tool to have. I can't think of something that helps as much with all different kinds of practice. A laser REALLY shows you how you are jerking the trigger. It can help with holding a gun steadier, smoother pull, you can even use it to practice your flash sight picture, using the laser to verify where you think you are going to hi.

As to the reliability of a laser max system - I don't know, I just wanted to chime in and add what a great educational tool a laser can be.

05-21-2009, 11:22 AM
I have the LaserMax in my Glock 17. I haven't had any problems with it yet, but I have less than 1000 rounds with it. I have noticed a little wearing on the red plastic end of the laser (away from the target).

I agree with the comments above about the training aspects of the laser. I also shoot with and without the laser at the range (so I don't use it as a crutch). My thought on having it is for training (see if you are jerking etc.) and for those less-than-perfect, high-stress HD situations where I would want all the help I can get.

05-21-2009, 7:45 PM
I have it and it was a waste of money to me. I'm never going to use it. The red light is useless during the day and tactically, I'll never use it unless I'm shooting from the hip...but if I'm shooting like that, I probably wouldn't have time to turn the laser on anyway. I just can't see a scenario where I wouldn't just aim using the sights...not to mention the fact that the red laser is barely visible in sunlight...wouldn't want to waste seconds looking for the red dot.

I think lasers are better used on sub machine guns and carbines.

old and wary
05-21-2009, 7:53 PM
Had a couple on my glock 21 a couple of years ago both broke. Poor quality or maybe could not stand recoil. From what I see crimson trace is a lot better but I do without I guess I did not need one.

05-21-2009, 8:27 PM
I have a lasermax on a Glock 19 with a couple thousand rounds on the lasermax. It is as accurate as I could want, seems reliable and I like the idea of having it available but don't keep it installed on my HD Glock. I shoot so much that looking for the laser dot would be a waste of time for me but it could be a good thing for someone who doesn't shoot that much.

Would I ever install another laser of any kind on a handgun? I doubt it. Well maybe if my eyesight became so poor that I couldn't see the sights on my handgun.

Would I ever sell my lasermax laser? I don't think so as I like having it available should I ever decide to install it again.

Is it easy and intuitive to turn on? For me to turn it on all I need to do is grip my Glock the way I normally do and it turns on. Your experience may be different.

05-22-2009, 7:19 AM
A friend had one on a Sigma. The gun worked fine with it in but it didn't align quite properly to POI. He could have sent the whole gun to LM to have it tuned, but never did. It ate batteries (not cheap ones) like it was going out of style. One good range session, or two at most and it was time for new batteries.

He eventually sold the whole thing. Bottom line, interesting toy, but he wouldn't buy one again unless he gets so much money that it really doesn't matter.