PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on 6.8SPC??

Teeznutz
05-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Where does it rank? Positives/Negatives? This taking over 7.62/308??

TIA

joelogic
05-21-2009, 7:18 AM
I can think of at least ten thread where this has been discussed, just search for it.
Summary: Army will not adopt. Ammo too expensive.

skkeeter
05-21-2009, 8:48 AM
negative, It never really caught on. Just like ^^^^^^ he said.

djleisure
05-21-2009, 9:02 AM
I had one for about a month and it was fun to shoot, but I didn't find it any different than shooting my 5.56 ARs, except that it is MUCH more expensive to shoot. I am really just a plinker/target shooter and I was never going to go hunting with it, which I guess would be one reason to go with the 6.8. Also, If I want to do some true, long distance shooting, I'll use the .308.

CSDGuy
05-21-2009, 9:38 AM
The 6.8 SPC, from my understanding, is basically good for hitting things pretty hard, but only out to about a mid-range distance. It's not a long range projectile by any means. To me, it seems like someone just up-sized the 5.56/.223 bullet to the 6.8/.270 bullet and kept the OAL the same. Then they figured out how to get the new cartridge to have a similar trajectory as the older cartridge out to about, what, 400 yards...

End effect, you have a larger, heavier bullet going downrange that delivers more energy to the target. Big downside... mentioned already... cost. It's cheaper to have AR-15/M-16 platforms for most people, accurized versions for the marksmen, and for longer range, the M-14 variants using a .308. These are cartridges that are in the current production pipeline at a much lower cost.

Makes lots of sense to me!

brando
05-21-2009, 10:02 AM
It's a decent intermediate cartridge that fits pretty well between 5.56mm and 7.62mm. You get advantages of both - still lightweight enough but delivering more mass at reasonable velocity. As soon as you move up to 7.62mm you get too much weight and recoil for an assault rifle, in my opinion. But many have complained about the power of 5.56mm, so this fits a good niche.

The reality is that better, heavier bullets have made 5.56mm more effective and while I won't discount 6.8mm but it's never going to catch on like the other calibers. I personally would want one in an SBR if I was doing VIP Protection work (mass of a 9mm with the velocity of a 5.56mm), but that's about it.

The good news is 6.8mm is far more of an available caliber than it was back in 2004. Loaded ammo is available as are reloading dies and components. But yes, it'll never get to the volume and prices of the other calibers.

TwitchALot
05-21-2009, 10:06 AM
Every time I hear "6.8," the first thing I always think is, "expensive." :thumbsup:

jasonnorcal
05-21-2009, 10:07 AM
I was interested in the 6.8spc, but after much research decided on the 6.5 grendel:) It has much better ballistics and ammo is cheaper.

opgarlic
05-21-2009, 10:32 AM
Silver State Armory is expected to have a "plinking round" out that should be a cheap option for those who dont reload.

Jpach
05-21-2009, 10:33 AM
Dont go 6.8SPC. Go 6.5 grendel. Or go both, but if you have to choose one, 6.5 all the way. It really makes no sense to get 6.8SPC. The 6.5 Grendel shoots faster, heavier bullets with higher BC, EVEN WITH HUNTING BULLETS!

People say Oh well um 6.8SPC is good for 300 yards and less and 6.5 Grendel is good for 300 and out (until whatever its max range is). How the hell is 6.5 Grendel only good for 300 and beyond when it shoots heavier bullets and faster velocities than a 6.8 SPC? Thats like saying "Oh only use .25 ACP for concealed carry because its good out to the average urban robbery engagement" instead of using a 9mm or 45 or something else more effective than a .25 ACP in that distance.

ad6mj
05-21-2009, 10:52 AM
6.5 Grendel would be a better choice.

stag6.8
05-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Silver State Armory is expected to have a "plinking round" out that should be a cheap option for those who dont reload.

+1 very true....while the 6.8 has its pro and cons....the others has thier pros and cons too....I`m waiting for silver state to bring out the plinking round too which should be soon.....I brought the 6.8 cause I wanted more power on a 5.56 lower platform ....yes the ammo cost more....but its my money, my choice....if I decide to go boar hunting one day like I plan to, I can do it....its also a good home defense round...so in my case the pros outweigh the cons...also I keep a tight shedule of guns shows(crossroads, miwall booth).....to keep my 6.8 ammo stocked up in bulk...to keep the cost down...and never run out

TZL
05-21-2009, 2:29 PM
6.8 spc is supposed to have the punch of 7.62 x 39 with the drop (or lack thereof) of 5.56

Its designed to allow for more close range power than 5.56 while being able to use the standard 5.56 lower

7.62 x 51 Nato requires a totally different gun, 6.8spc is just a complete upper and mag

well 6.8 spc is about $1/ round, which is expensive, but considering that quality heavy gr 5.56 is now often $0.45-0.50 /round, and quality 7.62 nato is also getting close to $1/rd, its not horrible

much cheaper than other exotic rounds

if you want to shoot far 6.5 grendel, if you want more stopping power(than 5.56) 6.8spc,

djleisure
05-21-2009, 2:33 PM
...its also a good home defense round...

No offense, but I'm glad I'm not your neighbor! ;)

kblack583
05-21-2009, 2:36 PM
Here's a link to some 6.8/6.5 discussions. You can link from there to a couple of other active discussions.

http://www.68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6094

After looking and looking for sometime for something to throw heavy lead in a smaller package, I went with the 6.8. I handload so I'm not all that concerned with ammo. Its impressive how this cartridge has evolved from Remingtons initial butchering of it.

J_Rock
05-21-2009, 2:41 PM
Here's a link to some 6.8/6.5 discussions. You can link from there to a couple of other active discussions.

http://www.68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6094

After looking and looking for sometime for something to throw heavy lead in a smaller package, I went with the 6.8. I handload so I'm not all that concerned with ammo. Its impressive how this cartridge has evolved from Remingtons initial butchering of it.

68forums in a 6.5 vs 6.8 discussion...:rolleyes:

kblack583
05-21-2009, 2:46 PM
Links in there to 65grendel and arf discussions.

Very entertaining.

Desert_AIP
05-21-2009, 5:17 PM
I love both of my 6.8 rifles.

Different strokes.

It's a great round that seriously outshines 5.56.
It is not, nor was it intended to be, a .308 replacement.

It was never meant to wholly replace 5.56 in the military. It is in use today in SOF units. They can't get enough of them. Police agencies are also adopting it.

There have been many new releases by ammo and barrel/rifle manufacturers just this past year. It is more popular than ever.

If all you want to do is mag dump as fast as you can, stay with 5.56. If you are interested in gaining a significant performance enhancement in the same sized rifle, seriously consider it.

Teeznutz
05-21-2009, 5:20 PM
Great info fellas! Decided to pull the trigger on a complete Noveske 6.8 upper. Need to diversify, why not with another Noveske? My N6 build is on permanent hold.

arfan66
05-21-2009, 6:20 PM
Great info fellas! Decided to pull the trigger on a complete Noveske 6.8 upper. Need to diversify, why not with another Noveske? My N6 build is on permanent hold.

Good choice! I love my WOA 6.8 upper and am waiting for another (Mk68 upper) from Harrison @ AR15Performance.com

While not a loooong range cartridge, it does just fine out to 550-600m with my handloads. I've toppled many a steel ram @ 550m on Sac Valley Shooting Center's rifle silhouette range.

Can't go wrong with a Noveske!

krushem2000
05-21-2009, 7:53 PM
i have 2 rounds that I use: one cheapie for plinkin and one for huntin. I have both the ar10 and 6.8spc. think csdguy post answers most of questions. personally 6.8 easier to haul around compared to ar10 if youre hunting. long range shootin I would favor my ar10

krushem2000
05-21-2009, 7:57 PM

know the feeling with N6 build on hold. I'm sitting on 2 complete Noveske lowers waiting to be built.

Jpach
05-21-2009, 10:57 PM
if you want to shoot far 6.5 grendel, if you want more stopping power 6.8spc,

So, TZL, what magically gives the 6.8SPC more stopping power than a 6.5 Grendel when the 6.5 Grendel shoots heavier bullets at a faster velocity? I, along with many others, are just dying to know

TZL
05-22-2009, 1:11 AM
correct to my statement, 6.8 spc if you want more stopping power than 5.56, 6.5 grendel if you want to shoot farther distances...happier now?

So, TZL, what magically gives the 6.8SPC more stopping power than a 6.5 Grendel when the 6.5 Grendel shoots heavier bullets at a faster velocity? I, along with many others, are just dying to know

kblack583
05-22-2009, 5:30 AM

I think there's an open challenge to answer that question.

I would love to see it.

opgarlic
05-22-2009, 6:21 AM
plan on takin my 16" 6.8 huntin. i cant imagine navigating the hillside with a 24" barrel.

jasonnorcal
05-22-2009, 10:06 AM
correct to my statement, 6.8 spc if you want more stopping power than 5.56, 6.5 grendel if you want to shoot farther distances...happier now?

Much better:thumbsup:

Jpach
05-22-2009, 12:13 PM

I am not completely happier now, YET. You did not answer my question. And I also have another. Why is 6.5 Grendel only better for longer ranges if it has more energy even at closer ranges? Refer to my last post on this thread if there is any confusion.
Should we only use .308 for ranges of 600 yards and beyond just because it should do better than a 5.56 at 600 yards? Im not trying to be a jerk, its just that statements like "6.8SPC out to 300 yards and 6.5 Grendel for beyond" dont make any sence yet they continue to be repeated by a number of people that dont even get that what they are saying doesnt make sence (especially after it is clear that the 6.5 Grendel has more energy at ALL ranges compared to the 6.8SPC).

Desert_AIP
05-22-2009, 12:27 PM
Grendel only has more velocity with longer barrels.

With carbine sized (16") barrels 6.8 will have higher velocities.
The 6.8 is VERY efficient at burning powder. The largest percentage of the energy is imparted to a 6.8 round in the first few inches of barrel. This is why SBRs and carbines are so effective in 6.8.

ChrisDM
05-22-2009, 2:06 PM
If the Grendel were interchangeable with AR lowers like the 6.8SPC is, it would obviously be the superior choice for me (in terms of power), but it isn't so it isn't... Therefore between the readily available platforms for my AR, I'll take the one with twice the power! (But that's just me, I prefer more power in my guns when given the option).

PEBKAC
05-22-2009, 2:15 PM
If the Grendel were interchangeable with AR lowers like the 6.8SPC is, it would obviously be the superior choice for me (in terms of power), but it isn't so it isn't... Therefore between the readily available platforms for my AR, I'll take the one with twice the power! (But that's just me, I prefer more power in my guns when given the option).
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Grendel uppers ARE compatible with standard lowers...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=271627

Lower Receiver Compatibility: 6.5 Grendel uppers can be installed on any AR15 lower. No change is required to the lower receiver group.

:confused:

Desert_AIP
05-22-2009, 2:17 PM
Grendel does fit in standard AR-15 lowers.
That's what it was designed for.

yellowfin
05-22-2009, 2:23 PM
Every time I hear "6.8," the first thing I always think is, "expensive." :thumbsup: Interestingly that's what I think of .223/5.56. 40 cents for a varmint cartridge when a deer round is only 20 to 30 cents more? Ridiculous! The price is vastly out of proportion to materials or performance. Gimme a 5.45 for the work that .223/5.56 does, as that's at least somewhere in the ballpark of what it should cost--I can't stack 5k rounds at 2-3x the price just because that's what they want to charge. If I'm buying 6.8 or 6.5 that's for a purpose I'm not shooting volume, and given that Wolf puts out acceptable 6.5 and probably soon 6.8, I can live with that a lot better.

Comparing 6.8/6.5 with 7.62/.308 just isn't really valid because .308 is in a more expensive and entirely separate platform--it isn't putting an extra upper on your existing rifle and having a brand new rifle, going from 55 grains for gophers to 115 grains for deer in 10 seconds.

Sgt Raven
05-22-2009, 2:31 PM
Grendel only has more velocity with longer barrels.

With carbine sized (16") barrels 6.8 will have higher velocities.
The 6.8 is VERY efficient at burning powder. The largest percentage of the energy is imparted to a 6.8 round in the first few inches of barrel. This is why SBRs and carbines are so effective in 6.8.

+1 the Grendel if you want to hump a 20"-24" barrel 6.8SPC if you want a 14.5"-16" barrel. Also the 6.5 Grendel is more finicky than the 6.8SPC. :thumbsup:

Super Spy
05-22-2009, 2:39 PM
I like a 16" barrel, was thinking 6.8 SPC, I already have 2 AR-15 lowers, though I keep hearing the 6.5 Grendel is the cat's meow. I will be hunting deer, elk, and maybe boar, and the ranges I will be shooting at will vary. I used to have 7mm Remington Mag, great long distance shooter, but heavy and not great for backwoods. So 6.8 or 6.5? Or just go 308?

yellowfin
05-22-2009, 2:52 PM
I like a 16" barrel, was thinking 6.8 SPC, I already have 2 AR-15 lowers, though I keep hearing the 6.5 Grendel is the cat's meow. I will be hunting deer, elk, and maybe boar, and the ranges I will be shooting at will vary. I used to have 7mm Remington Mag, great long distance shooter, but heavy and not great for backwoods. So 6.8 or 6.5? Or just go 308?

I'd stick with the 7mm for elk, as it's going to put more power on the elk which you need for them because of their size. For deer, 6.8 for 200-250 yards, 6.5 if longer shots are in the picture. .308 won't work with the AR15 lowers you have, so you'd shell out the $400 for an AR10 lower and start all over again.

Desert_AIP
05-22-2009, 2:57 PM
6.8 is a GREAT hog/deer round. Out to 300 yards easy.
Some have used it on elk, but I wouldn't.

For hogs
An 85 grain Barnes TSX can be had in SSA factory loads to ~3000fps from a 16" barrel. Handloads can push it to nearly 3200fps.
This bullet will fly through and through a hog. Most hits with it are DRT.

For deer
The Barnes round or the less expensive 110 grain Sierra ProHunter if lead is allowed. Velocities are around 2550fps from factory loads.

For coyotes and lighter game
Hornady 110grain V-Max @ 2600fps (also nearly perfect CQB round).
90 Grain Speer TNT @ 2900fps is a great second choice.

My 16" hog/deer gun
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w135/Desert_AIP/My_68_Hunt_02.jpg

Jpach
05-22-2009, 3:07 PM
It seems that the 6.8 SPC would be good in an SBR as a fellow member has said. I wonder how it would compare to a 6.5 Grendel with the same short barrel length with the same powder. Hmmm...

ChrisDM
05-22-2009, 4:32 PM
Grendel does fit in standard AR-15 lowers.
That's what it was designed for.

Hmmm, good to know. But all the AR15 uppers I've ever seen are 556 or 6.8...

kblack583
05-22-2009, 4:58 PM
It seems that the 6.8 SPC would be good in an SBR as a fellow member has said. I wonder how it would compare to a 6.5 Grendel with the same short barrel length with the same powder. Hmmm...

Not sure same powder test would be of relevance. Maybe same bullet (or weight at least) out of similar length barrel. I think it would come down to use whatever gives the best results.

Jpach
05-22-2009, 7:32 PM
Not sure same powder test would be of relevance. Maybe same bullet (or weight at least) out of similar length barrel. I think it would come down to use whatever gives the best results.

From my understanding, the reason why the 6.8 SPC does well with shorter bbls is due to the fast burning powder in factory loads, thats also why it doesnt gain much velocity going from 16" to 20" barrel length. I dont believe factory 6.5 Grendel loads have the same fast burning powder, so therefore a "same powder test" would indeed be of relevance as we cannot just directly compare factory loads to determine which is best in shorter barrels unless we use the same components (which factory loads apparently do not share the same powders).

**ETA** Im starting to feel about 6.8 SPC Like JRock does when it comes to piston-driven AR uppers

1911su16b870
05-22-2009, 8:09 PM
IMO 6.8 is the solution to a problem 7.62 solved along time ago...:)

J_Rock
05-22-2009, 8:26 PM
From my understanding, the reason why the 6.8 SPC does well with shorter bbls is due to the fast burning powder in factory loads, thats also why it doesnt gain much velocity going from 16" to 20" barrel length. I dont believe factory 6.5 Grendel loads have the same fast burning powder, so therefore a "same powder test" would indeed be of relevance as we cannot just directly compare factory loads to determine which is best in shorter barrels unless we use the same components (which factory loads apparently do not share the same powders).

**ETA** Im starting to feel about 6.8 SPC Like JRock does when it comes to piston-driven AR uppers

Oh and what feelings would that be? :cool:

Anyway these is my thoughts on the 6.8:
Does it have better performance than 5.56? Sure it does. But the increase in performance is not big enough to offset its cons which is cost, availability, increased weight, decreased mag capacity(doesnt really apply to CA), increased recoil resulting in decreased shot to shot recovery time.

Teeznutz
05-23-2009, 6:07 AM
Here's goes the comparison stat chart:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=p0mexhIqnSUAIBf5cexy1fA

kblack583
05-23-2009, 8:17 AM

Each cartridge is unique and when you look at all the possible variables in the shooting process (bullet types, weight, firearm variations) each of those combinations also become unique. Plugging in a faster powder doesnt mean you're going to get higher velocities. In fact its not uncommon to get lower velocities when you start going up the burn rate chart. Its all about finding the right combination.

Jpach
05-23-2009, 11:35 AM
Each cartridge is unique and when you look at all the possible variables in the shooting process (bullet types, weight, firearm variations) each of those combinations also become unique. Plugging in a faster powder doesnt mean you're going to get higher velocities. In fact its not uncommon to get lower velocities when you start going up the burn rate chart. Its all about finding the right combination.

Im talking about using the faster burning powders used in 6.8 SPC commercial(what greatly contributes to its velocity in shorter barrels, and is likely the reason it doesnt gain much velocity going from 16" to 20" in bbl length) in 6.5 Grendel and then test velocities at short barrel lengths (such as 8" or 10.5" and so on). My last post, which you quoted, was specifically on the subject of short barrels.

Of course each bullet weight with a given powder will have a unique velocity in each barrel length. But there is a reason why pistol cartridges tend to use faster burning powders, and as we all know that answer is because pistols tend to have shorter barrel lengths. I think a test between 6.8SPC vs 6.5G with the 6.8 faster powder would be interesting, as the same caliber test but with both having 6.5G powders. Then the 6.8 vs 6.5 debate would finally end :chris:

Jpach
05-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Oh and what feelings would that be? :cool:

Oh you know, feelings of love with visions of squirrels and bunnies skipping holding hands in the meadows whenever someone glorifies the subject.:p You know what I mean ;)

Im digging your avatar by the way

Desert_AIP
05-23-2009, 11:59 AM
I think a test between 6.8SPC vs 6.5G with the 6.8 faster powder would be interesting, as the same caliber test but with both having 6.5G powders. Then the 6.8 vs 6.5 debate would finally end :chris:

The issue becomes pressure

Quoted from an ARFCOM discussion:
"The (Grendel) 100gr Lapua and the velocity obtained from a 16" barrel is 2597fps. This is Bills hottest load at 54000psi. his recommended maximum load.

SSAs (SPC) 100gr Nosler load is as close as we can get weight wise , The SSA factory load shot through a chrono this week hit 2740fps, that load only produced apx 48000psi, SSA advertises it at 2650fps. At this anemic load it is still 50fps faster than Bills max load.

When (the SPC is ) loaded up to 54000psi the velocity is closer to 2800fps or 200fps faster than the Grendel round with the same length barrel and weight bullet, faster bullet = more energy.

The extra velocity of the 6.8 will produce more energy to that range even if you did use an unsuitable 6.5 match bullet with a higher BC. If you compare a 6.5 100gr Nosler and a 6.8 100gr Nosler both with BCs near .350 with Bills max load and SSAs factory load the performance will be apx the same, not enough to argue over.

The 6.8 is more efficient and uses faster powders to obtain better velocities in shorter barrels. The 6.5 uses slower powders which work better in longer barrels and possibly with heavier bullets. This is all about the case capacity to bore area ratio. "

Also

"You could use the 6.5Grendel 90gr Speer TNT and the 6.8 SPC 85gr SSA TSX load as a comparison (roughly). Just using muzzle velocity, the SPC load (SPCII chamber, 1:10" twist) achieves 2850fps out of a 10" barrel, whilst the Grendel achieves a velocity of 2880fps with the 90gr Speer TNT out of a 24" barrel. "

My moderate 6.8SPC 90gr TNT handloads are ~2900fps from a 16" barrel.

KAVEMAN762
05-23-2009, 1:36 PM
In my opinion I like the round when I shot it. It is no way a "better" replacement or "solution" for any 7.62x51 cartridge. It is a better replacement or "solution" for the 5.56x45 or 7.62x39 though. But like what people say on here, just too pricey to justify. You cant go wrong with the 7.62, but for an assault rifle for infantry troops, might be a hassle with a couple things like ammo load, rifle weight and recoil, but I bet less people will complain about actually using them in combat. Id rather have a 7.62 rifle to use in combat missions than the 5.56. An SR25 style .308 with selective fire would be nice, even though Id probably only use it in semi auto, even during a combat mission

Jpach
05-23-2009, 1:43 PM
Damn, if only us CA ppl could actually get SBRs, then we would be able to reap the benefits of the 6.8SPC. Some day...

Even tho I hate on 6.8SPC so much, Im still going to get one for fun

KAVEMAN762
05-23-2009, 1:57 PM
Damn, if only us CA ppl could actually get SBRs, then we would be able to reap the benefits of the 6.8SPC. Some day...

I want one too, but I had a hard time finding ammo that is reasonably priced. I'd mainly want to use it for small game :)

eaglemike
05-23-2009, 3:55 PM
There seems to be a wider support base for 6.8 barrels and magazines at this time than the 6.5. The 6.5 runs higher pressures, based on the info I've read.

Before you 6.5 guys start bashing - I'm saying that seems to be the case to me...... :p

The good people at WOA are working on a couple of 6.8's for me and a friend. They make really nice stuff.
all the best,
Mike

kblack583
05-23-2009, 4:13 PM

I think we"re reaping the benfits right now with the 6.8's being put out right now.

Hate the 6.8 SPC so much? What did it do to you?

Teeznutz
05-24-2009, 7:11 AM
I'm sold on the 6.8 spc....... hoping pricing and ammo stock gets better

Desert_AIP
05-24-2009, 9:32 AM
Now you are ready for the next step.

http://68forums.com/forums/

Teeznutz
05-24-2009, 9:52 AM
Just joined......Thanks!

Mad Geek
05-24-2009, 11:41 AM
If you're looking for a hard-hitting round in a standard package with all the parts support you'd expect from the 5.56 platform, any major manufacturer with 6.8 SPC has it.

Ammo has been, at times, difficult to find, and a little more costly than 5.56. Silver State Armory, Hornady and Remington had been the only commercial rounds available for a time, but I'm sure demand has brought others into the picture.

At $20.00 + a box of 20 rounds, watching for deals and sales has been something I've been doing ever since I built my 6.8 AR. The best price I've been able to come up with was online, several months ago. With coupons and free shipping I would up paying $14.00 a box and I bought all I could afford to at the time, for what NOW is selling for $22. or more. Occasionally you might see someone dumping what they have in The Marketplace (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=91). That's where I scored my last.

There will always be the 6.8 VS 6.5 debate, so don't let the other camp scare you off. Maybe the 6.5 has done somewhat better, or maybe the ones that support it just like it and haven't had 1st hand experience with the 6.8, just read the specs and saw that what they bought into made them look smart.

Tarmac02
05-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Great source of 6.8 information.

http://www.ar15performance.com/6_8_facts___load_data

Waiting on my upper, looking at late June early July.

Teeznutz
05-24-2009, 11:38 PM
Great source of 6.8 information.

http://www.ar15performance.com/6_8_facts___load_data

Waiting on my upper, looking at late June early July.

Good info. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

krushem2000
05-25-2009, 7:23 AM
i thought the accuracy drops on 6.8 greater than 400 yards compared to 6.5. I read it somewhere and cant remember. it was spreadsheet comparing various loads vs various distance and drop in inches at x yards comparing both caliber. wasnt much difference until you hit 600 yards or greater.

Desert_AIP
05-26-2009, 5:26 AM
i thought the accuracy drops on 6.8 greater than 400 yards compared to 6.5. I read it somewhere and cant remember. it was spreadsheet comparing various loads vs various distance and drop in inches at x yards comparing both caliber. wasnt much difference until you hit 600 yards or greater.

Depends on BC and velocity which, as discussed above, depends on barrel length.
You're going to need a 20-24" barrel to get out to 600 yards and beyond.
When comparing the two rounds, it's crucial to factor in barrel length and bullet type/BC.

krushem2000
05-27-2009, 4:30 PM
response to desertAIP:
Think 6.8 is minimum 75grain- maximum 135grain (might be listed in spreadsheet posted earlier in post). I use 115 grain with my 18" barrel and no problems hitting 400 yards. Longer the barrel, better quality ammo you need (ie. match grade ammo) unless you know how to reload or got the time to do so.

k1dude
06-01-2009, 9:05 PM
A good write-up comparing the two (6.8 vs 6.5) and some interesting comments following the article.

http://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.com/airborne_combat_engineer/2006/04/65_grendel_vs_6.html

eaglemike
06-01-2009, 9:46 PM
Are the magazines for the 6.5 as available as for the 6.8? Prety sure the answer for this one is no....

Is the feeding as reliable for the 6.5 as for the 6.8? From my reading, it seems like the 6.8 has some advantage in this area, but this is just my impression.

It seems like the 6.8 has continued to evolve, with chamber dimensions evolving and ammunition choices increasing. Performance has also improved a fair bit as this happened.

It seems to me that some of the 6.5 crowd seem to feel threatened and/or defensive whenever someone brings up the 6.8. :)

all the best,
Mike

Desert_AIP
06-02-2009, 5:16 AM
The 6.5 and 6.8 magazines are the same (with different markings).
They SHOULD be interchangeable.

According to DocGKR, one of the reasons the 6.8 was chosen over the 6.5 was the feeding reliability concerns of the PPC style case.