PDA

View Full Version : help with Geissele trigger install

aethyr
05-20-2009, 4:43 PM
I'm trying to assemble my first lower and I decided on a Geissele DMR trigger to replace the stock one.

The problem I'm having is that the hammer pin is already locked into the hammer and it appears its c-clipped into place. So...how do I install the hammer if I can't remove the hammer pin?

Here is a link to the instructions: http://www.geissele.com/install.pdf

If you look at Figure 1, it says that the Hammer Pivot and Hammer pin clip are non removable.

The trigger pin slips in and out easily.

Jicko
05-20-2009, 4:48 PM
Take some pic of yours.....

RECCE556
05-20-2009, 5:07 PM
I think the Hammer Pivot is not removable but the C-Clip is removable. Remove the C-Clip off the Hammer PIN, the Hammer Pivot stays in place. Drop the Hammer in (after the trigger is installed) and then re-insert the Hammer PIN and then install the C-Clip.

RomanDad
05-20-2009, 5:10 PM
I'm trying to assemble my first lower and I decided on a Geissele DMR trigger to replace the stock one.

The problem I'm having is that the hammer pin is already locked into the hammer and it appears its c-clipped into place. So...how do I install the hammer if I can't remove the hammer pin?

Here is a link to the instructions: http://www.geissele.com/install.pdf

If you look at Figure 1, it says that the Hammer Pivot and Hammer pin clip are non removable.

The trigger pin slips in and out easily.

I just did one of these a few weeks ago.... Both pins popped out of their respective parts rather easily with a small punch (like the one included in the kit with the black ball on the end of it?). I dont remember a "C-clip"? Can you take a photo of yours and Ill see if it jogs my memory? If not, I would suggest giving the hammer pin a slight tap with a small hammer and see if that moves it.... These kits fit together REALLY nice.

The most difficult part of the Greissele install is: Removing metal from the safety selector with a dremmel so that the trigger bar fits; and setting up the FIRST stage trigger pull without the hammer installed. The rest was pretty easy, and Im a complete klutz when it comes to this stuff....

aethyr
05-20-2009, 5:30 PM
I've uploaded a pic of the hammer only. You can't really tell, but that hammer pin appears locked in place. I've tried putting all my weight into it and it won't budge. I haven't tried using a hammer for fear of causing damage.

The 2nd pic is from the instructions - you can see that there is a c-clip holding the hammer pin in place...

aethyr
05-20-2009, 5:34 PM
I just did one of these a few weeks ago.... Both pins popped out of their respective parts rather easily with a small punch (like the one included in the kit with the black ball on the end of it?). I dont remember a "C-clip"? Can you take a photo of yours and Ill see if it jogs my memory? If not, I would suggest giving the hammer pin a slight tap with a small hammer and see if that moves it.... These kits fit together REALLY nice.

So if I punch out the hammer pin, do I need to reinstall the c-clip when I put the pin back in place?

aethyr
05-20-2009, 5:38 PM
Ok I got it out. I just punched it out as RomanDad (thanks!) said. There is indeed a c-clip, but its permanently attached to the inside of the hammer pin hole, and acts as a grip on the pin, keeping it place. But a few light taps with the included fitting pin popped it out. Thanks everyone!

aethyr
05-20-2009, 7:35 PM
Ok some more questions. As part of the install, the instructions say to use temporary hammer and trigger pins while you adjust...I dunno about others, but pushing the hammer down in place and trying to fit the hammer pin is a huge pain, so I'd rather not repeat the procedure if it isn't necessary.

For Geissele, I don't see why I can't just use the permanent pins in the first place and do my sear and 2nd stage adjustment with the hammer permanently installed, since those adjustment screws are accessible with the trigger/hammer installed? Am I missing something?

Also how much fiddling with the sear and 2nd stage adjustments did you guys have to do?

aethyr
05-21-2009, 10:09 AM
And yet some more questions. General lower assembly instructions online say that the hammer pin should be a tight fit. And the Geissele instructions say the provided Geissele hammer pin should be really tight. Yet the both the standard and Geissele hammer pin just slides in the lower's hammer pin hole with no resistance whatsoever...is this ok or is my lower out of spec?

DanHuuN
05-21-2009, 11:33 AM
Ok some more questions. As part of the install, the instructions say to use temporary hammer and trigger pins while you adjust...I dunno about others, but pushing the hammer down in place and trying to fit the hammer pin is a huge pain, so I'd rather not repeat the procedure if it isn't necessary.

For Geissele, I don't see why I can't just use the permanent pins in the first place and do my sear and 2nd stage adjustment with the hammer permanently installed, since those adjustment screws are accessible with the trigger/hammer installed? Am I missing something?

Also how much fiddling with the sear and 2nd stage adjustments did you guys have to do?

They suggest you use the temporary pins during your adjustments because it makes it easier to remove if you some how mess up. Such as, if you turn the over travel screw too far down then the trigger wont reset, therefore you must remove the hammer in order to readjust the screw...get it? I hope everything works out for you.

aethyr
05-21-2009, 1:12 PM
Thanks Dan, I'll keep that in mind.

I finally got my trigger installed, but not yet fully adjusted. That will come later. There were some issues that I had to work out with Bill Geissele, who, by the way was not only extremely friendly and helpful, instantly knew how to diagnose and fix my problems.

I will post my findings and solutions for posterity's sake.

Problem number 1 - My hammer pin hole on the receiver was a bit too large (off spec?). The instructions appear to be adamant that the hammer pin should be very tight, and require light strikes to push through. My lower receiver and hammer pin combo, however was not tight. The pin pushed through freely with no resistance. Bill explained that it need not be tight - that they changed the design with the c-clip (mentioned earlier) to hold the pin in place securely without depending on the lower receiver & hammer spring tension to hold it in place.

I think this is a good design decision to try not to depend on the lower receiver's quality.

Problem number 2 - The hammer would not easily fit into the lower. And when I finally got the hammer in place and pinned in, the hammer would not swing freely. In other words, I removed the hammer spring and installed the hammer only and the hammer would stick in place. Even as my first lower build, this didn't seem right to me. I felt that the hammer should be able to swing freely on its axis without any resistance. Another call to Bill confirmed this.

Bill explained that the receiver's trigger well was curving in prematurely and a quick dremel of the area would solve the problem. You can see from the attached pics that the receiver does indeed "curve-in" too early (see red circles), rubbing against the hammer's pivot tube.
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/5563/hammerrub.jpg

I whipped out my handy dandy dremel and removed some metal from the curvature area of the lower receiver hammer pin holes, the left side hole and the right side hole so that there would be no interference with the hammer's movement.

right side hammer pin hole
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/9941/hammerdremelright.jpg

left side hammer pin hole
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/3190/hammerdremelleft.jpg

The dremel was a success and now my hammer swings freely without issue or resistance.

Next, hopefully the sear and 2nd stage adjustments go smoothly.

DanHuuN
05-21-2009, 1:29 PM
Wow, I had no idea that it was to that extreme....Damn...I'm thinking your receiver might have been out of spec or the Geissele was....either way it worked out for you...Now enjoy the trigger and be happy....

aethyr
05-21-2009, 1:46 PM
I think my receiver is a tad on the loose side of spec. The hammer pin hole was clue number 1.

And clue number 2 - My stock hammer barely fit - the hammer wasn't rubbing like the Geissele, but if I pushed it slightly, it would start to rub against the premature curve-in mentioned above. I think my receiver was on the very edge of spec so that stock parts would fit, just barely, but the heavier, stockier Geissele pushed it over the edge. Either way, it was an easy problem to solve, once diagnosed by Bill.