PDA

View Full Version : Jackson Arms (South S.F.) losing its lease... sign petition

bwiese
07-18-2005, 11:26 AM
Folks,

Jackson Arms -- an indoor shooting range/gun store in South San Francisco, and the only place to fire centerfire handguns in the mid/upper peninsula -- is losing its lease along with approx. 5 other neighboring businesses sharing the same 'industrial strip mall'. The real estate developer wants to rebuild it into something else and wants all tenants out.

There is a petition list you can sign if you visit there. This petition is not intended for the real estate developer - probably a lost cause anyway - but to deal with South SF politics involved in opening a new range at a new location. Tentative plans involve a place not too far from See's Candy in South SF, and with all the permit processes involved support is needed to clear lotsa hurdles. The idea is to convey that if you shoot there, you'll also shop & eat in SSF, so there's 'carryover' business that brings in revenue. [I know I often eat in SSF afterwards when I go to Jackson Arms w/friends.]

The only other place to shoot on the Peninsula north of Mt. View is Coyote Pt. firing range, but this is available for rifles + rimfire only - no centerfire handguns).

The nearest other ranges are a substantial distance away - Reed's Indoor Range (Santa Clara), Target Masters in Milpitas, along with the Sunnyvale Rod & Gun, Los Gatos Rod & Gun clubs up in 'the hills'.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

[PS - I posted this in GunRights/Political/Legal due to legal/political hurdles to be overcome opening a new range location. This is more than a simple business issue. If there are fewer places to shoot, there are likely less gun sales, etc. etc and the cycle continues downward.]

imported_kantstudien
07-18-2005, 11:34 AM
So basically you are saying that there will no longer be any gun stores in Frisco? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

bwiese
07-18-2005, 11:42 AM
Kantstudien..

Well, Jackson Arms is actually in South San Francisco, not SF. It probably couldn't work in SF given politics that ran even SF Gun Exchange outta town.

There are gunshops near SF: the aforementioned Jackson Arms, City Arms in Pacifica (Dmitry's place), Tabor's Shooters Supplies (El Camino in San Bruno) and, further down, Krausewerk in San Mateo.

Jackson Arms' importance is a tad less as a gun store (selection was a tad limited) than as a shooting range. It's been open at same location since 1988 when it first opened doors as Aimark Shooting Range by a former SFPD detective, now retired.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

hicap
07-18-2005, 11:51 AM
Did the landlord give Jackson Arms and the neighboring businesses a deadline? If so, when do they want them out? We all know how tough it's going to be for Jackson Arms to open a new range in S.San Francisco. Next time I'm there I'll make sure to sign that petition. I was told by an owner of another bay area shooting range that it's a dead end business in this area. Kind of discouraging to say the least.

bwiese
07-18-2005, 12:04 PM
Spec...

Yes, I forgot how much deadline they have.
As I recall, it's under 90 days but I could be wrong - could be worse.

As for 'dead end' business: it's not that there's not a lot of gunnies around. But people are pressed for time these days, and it's expensive proposition. Even discounting political and supposed safety issues, the cost structures are difficult in high cost-of-living Bay Area.

Sometimes you'll see just 2 people on the range, yet 3 guys behind the counter. Even if staff only paid $5-$9/hr wages, when you count the overhead (rent, heat/lights/ventilation etc) thats below break-even. And the shop/range owner may, if lucky, just break $60+K/yr if everything goes right.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Zer000
07-18-2005, 12:17 PM
This is bad news. I just moved to the city and was thinking of going to jackson arms last weekend since we had a rental car. If I had known that there was a deadline, I certainly would have tried harder to get there. I don't know when the next time I have a rental car will be. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I like the city, but it sure sucks gun wise.

bwiese
07-18-2005, 12:26 PM
Zer000...

Dude, get a car:

<LI> public transit sucks;
<LI> there's life outside SF

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Bling Bling
07-18-2005, 12:56 PM
Well if we can show a greater economic interest, then we can just take it over now right? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

That really sucks about Jackson. That was a pretty good location too. Hope they can secure a new facility.

imported_1911_sfca
07-18-2005, 1:43 PM
Originally posted by Zer000:
This is bad news. I just moved to the city and was thinking of going to jackson arms last weekend since we had a rental car. If I had known that there was a deadline, I certainly would have tried harder to get there. I don't know when the next time I have a rental car will be. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I like the city, but it sure sucks gun wise.

Take Caltrain then. The S. San Francisco stop is right around the corner and walking distance to Jackson Arms.

I think they mentioned the lease cutoff is like October or something.

bwiese
07-18-2005, 1:44 PM
Bling Bling wrote:
Well if we can show a greater economic interest, then we can just take it over now right? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hahah. (BTW, good meetin' ya at Reed's sale!)

I don't think we all could pony up enough $ to not only cover Jackson's rent but the other 5+ businesses there. I suspect this bldgs may be knocked down and something fairly large goes in there, maybe multistory...

Bill Wiese
San Jose

50 Freak
07-18-2005, 2:15 PM
I don't think we all could pony up enough $ to not only cover Jackson's rent but the other 5+ businesses there. I suspect this bldgs may be knocked down and something fairly large goes in there, maybe multistory...

Lets cross our fingers and hope they build a big GUNS-R-US. Boy would I be a happy camper.

trempel_ry@yahoo.com
07-18-2005, 4:28 PM
Oh crap! That's my favorite indoor range! I hope they can open up another location and have the same people running it. It would be a shame to lose a place like that.

Henry47
07-18-2005, 5:46 PM
not to sound insensitive, but what will happen to my membership?

bwiese
07-18-2005, 6:08 PM
Henry..

Membership? I dunno. In theory - if a biz hasn't gone bankrupt - memberships may be refundable, but I dunno what the terms/duration of your contract were. (Do you still have 'the fine print'??)

If they do manage to move (it's only about 1.5 mi away) then there'd certainly be no issue...

Bill W
San Jose

rkt88edmo
07-18-2005, 8:37 PM
I hope they do continue and find a new home.

imported_QuarterBoreGunner
07-18-2005, 9:21 PM
Damn, Bill, this is the first I've heard of this. I'll stop by tomorrow and talk to Ryan. CRAP! That's my range!

07-19-2005, 5:42 AM
Originally posted by kantstudien:
So basically you are saying that there will no longer be any gun stores in Frisco? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

high bridge arms is still around

ivanimal
07-19-2005, 2:09 PM
That sux! When I lived in San Bruno, I could be found there 1 or 2 times a month. I live in the eastbay and have trouble using my new USI membership. If there is a way to sign the petition as an outsider I would. Tremple and I just did a tranfer there and I would have liked to shoot the pistol when I picked it up but was too rushed. Like everything else never enough time. Thanks for the inf o Bill I will give them a call to see if there is anything I can do.

pinheadbob2002
07-20-2005, 10:23 AM
FYI
I spoke with the guys at Jackson arms-
They were never told by the landlord they need leave. They were told by another tenant. So they have not been given any “official" notice.
The current owner of Jackson arm’s is not even on the lease. The old owner of the business is on the lease. I was told the new owner was trying to reach the landlord for the last year -to get the lease extended- it expires in 11/2005. The landlord did not return his calls. So this was brewing for a long time.
Most likely they will be given 30 days - once the lease expires.
I hear they are looking for a bigger facility down the road- maybe it will be big enough for a 25 yard range.
Also there is no petition. The whole idea of a petition was created; because they were looking at a building that was close to residential homes- they thought a petition would help them get a new lease there. They dropped that idea- not worth the fight.
If you want to help them – spend money there – so the owner will have an incentive to spend the money he needs to – to get a new space.
They are planning to start fresh- new back stop-new lanes.

trempel_ry@yahoo.com
07-20-2005, 1:59 PM
Thanks for the update. I'll probably be over there later this week. I need it - I haven't shot pistols for over a month.

imported_1911_sfca
07-20-2005, 4:09 PM
Originally posted by pinheadbob2002:
Also there is no petition. The whole idea of a petition was created; because they were looking at a building that was close to residential homes- they thought a petition would help them get a new lease there. They dropped that idea- not worth the fight.

I believe the idea is that anywhere they go in the bay area, they're going to need a conditional use permit to operate a shooting range. The petition is to help convince city hall that it is a needed institution and should be given such a permit.

chunger
07-24-2005, 3:04 AM
I went to Jackson Arms for the 1st time a couple of weeks ago, and it was really good. It's the only indoor range I know of that will let you double tap and rapid fire. I live in the East Bay, but hope they will be able to move.

My wife and I signed the petition on the counter http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-'Chung

sned45
07-27-2005, 10:23 PM
I wonder what the EPA will say about all the lead? I would be surprised if they could just tear the building down with out some kind of clean up.

imported_1911_sfca
07-28-2005, 5:08 PM
Originally posted by sned45:
I wonder what the EPA will say about all the lead? I would be surprised if they could just tear the building down with out some kind of clean up.

I was thinking the same thing. But then again, there are commercial buildings with much, much worse stuff inside. Apparently, lead is easy to handle - it doesn't seep into groundwater, and you can pretty much just dump it with the rest of the building debris...