PDA

View Full Version : House passes measure expanding gun rights

rulas41
05-20-2009, 1:47 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/05/20/house.guns/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Gun rights advocates found an unlikely ally in the Democratic-controlled House of Representatives on Wednesday as lawmakers passed a measure allowing concealed, loaded firearms to be carried in national parks.
The House approved a measure Wednesday to allow concealed firearms in national parks.

The House approved a measure Wednesday to allow concealed firearms in national parks.

The proposal passed 279-147, winning overwhelming Republican support and that of a significant number of more conservative rural and western Democrats.

The Senate voted 67-29 on Tuesday to attach an identical measure to a bill cracking down on credit card fees. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, was among 27 Democrats backing the measure.

Under the measure, any person with a state permit to carry a concealed weapon would be able to bring that weapon into parks and wildlife refuges unless a state law specifies otherwise.

The firearms language is now expected to be included in the final version of the credit card legislation, which lawmakers want to deliver to President Obama's desk by Memorial Day.

The language has been strongly pushed by Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Oklahoma, who saw an opportunity to grab on to a comparatively fast-moving target since Obama and the congressional Democratic leadership have made the credit card bill such a high legislative priority.

Coburn, speaking on the Senate floor Thursday, said his move "isn't a 'gotcha' amendment" but a genuine step to protect the Second Amendment. The measure would reverse a federal judge's decision in March to block a last-minute rule change by President George W. Bush to allow park visitors to carry concealed weapons.

"It was just an opportunity," Coburn spokesman Don Tatro said. The "congressional leadership has been trying to keep it from happening, and this was just the first opportunity."

Gun rights activists, however, have been cautious about declaring victory prematurely.

"Prior to the ink drying to anything that's signed, it's rare for a piece of legislation to not have ghosts haunting it," National Rifle Association spokesman Andrew Arulanandam said last week.

"Anything can happen."

Some congressional Democrats are dismayed by what they see as the continued success of the gun lobby in the face of a new Democratic administration and expanded Democratic majorities in Congress.

"The NRA is basically taking over the House and the Senate," said Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, D-New York. "If the NRA wins on each and every bill, the American people are going to suffer the most."

gunsmith
05-20-2009, 1:52 PM
from what I hear its even better then the old law which meant you had to have a ccw, I heard this Bill means we could LOC in Yosemite!
Sweet!

FS00008
05-20-2009, 1:52 PM
I can't wait for that damn windbag to go and take a long retirement...

In the UK perhaps?

bulgron
05-20-2009, 1:55 PM
"The NRA is basically taking over the House and the Senate," said Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, D-New York. "If the NRA wins on each and every bill, the American people are going to suffer the most."

When is Carolyn McCarthy going to figure out that the NRA membership is comprised of the American people?

rulas41
05-20-2009, 1:58 PM
When is Carolyn McCarthy going to figure out that the NRA membership is comprised of the American people?

:iagree:

adamsreeftank
05-20-2009, 2:18 PM
So does it have to be the state of residence, or would an out of state CCW be good enough. Either way, it's a good step forward.

bulgron
05-20-2009, 2:23 PM
So does it have to be the state of residence, or would an out of state CCW be good enough. Either way, it's a good step forward.

I haven't seen the law yet, but I assume that if you're legal to CCW in (city/county/state) parks in the state, then you'll be legal to CCW in the national parks contained within that state.

E Pluribus Unum
05-20-2009, 2:26 PM

What it sounded like to me was it takes away federal control of firearms on federal lands. It still allows state law to govern possession of firearms, but it prevents free states like Az being bound to "no firearms" policies when the state laws allow for it.

bwiese
05-20-2009, 2:30 PM
Your membership dollars at work :)

You're watching the NRA on a massive tank roll thru Congress.

Expect it to continue, with work. Bright people have planned the accumulation of events over time to get us to this stage today, even in an otherwise politically-unfriendly environment.[

gewgaw
05-20-2009, 2:35 PM
GREAT.... Anyone have an extra California CCW I can borrow? :rolleyes:

k0ncept
05-20-2009, 2:36 PM
Lets Write her a letter and try to educate her..

http://carolynmccarthy.house.gov/

Librarian
05-20-2009, 2:37 PM
None of the stories bother to mention this is HR 627 (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:HR00627:).

Coburn's amendment (from Congressional Record via thomas.gov) is SA 1067. Mr. COBURN proposed an amendment to amendment SA 1058 proposed by Mr. Dodd (for himself and Mr. Shelby) to the bill H.R. 627, to amend the Truth in Lending Act to establish fair and transparent practices relating to the extension of credit under an open end consumer credit plan, and for other purposes; as follows:

At the appropriate place, insert the following:

SEC. __. PROTECTING AMERICANS FROM VIOLENT CRIME.

(a) Congressional Findings.--Congress finds the following:

(1) The Second Amendment to the Constitution provides that ``the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed''.

(2) Section 2.4(a)(1) of title 36, Code of Federal Regulations, provides that ``except as otherwise provided in this section and parts 7 (special regulations) and 13 (Alaska regulations), the following are prohibited: (i) Possessing a weapon, trap or net (ii) Carrying a weapon, trap or net (iii) Using a weapon, trap or net''.

(3) Section 27.42 of title 50, Code of Federal Regulations, provides that, except in special circumstances, citizens of the United States may not ``possess, use, or transport firearms on national wildlife refuges'' of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service.

(4) The regulations described in paragraphs (2) and (3) prevent individuals complying with Federal and State laws from exercising the second amendment rights of the individuals while at units of--

(A) the National Park System; and

(B) the National Wildlife Refuge System.

(5) The existence of different laws relating to the transportation and possession of firearms at different units of the National Park System and the National Wildlife Refuge System entrapped law-abiding gun owners while at units of the National Park System and the National Wildlife Refuge System.

(6) Although the Bush administration issued new regulations relating to the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens in units of the National Park System and National Wildlife Refuge System that went into effect on January 9, 2009--

(A) on March 19, 2009, the United States District Court for the District of Columbia granted a preliminary injunction with respect to the implementation and enforcement of the new regulations; and

(B) the new regulations--

(i) are under review by the administration; and

(ii) may be altered.

(7) Congress needs to weigh in on the new regulations to ensure that unelected bureaucrats and judges cannot again override the

[Page: S5384] GPO's PDF

Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens on 83,600,000 acres of National Park System land and 90,790,000 acres of land under the jurisdiction of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service.

(8) The Federal laws should make it clear that the second amendment rights of an individual at a unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System should not be infringed.

(b) Protecting the Right of Individuals to Bear arms in Units of the National Park System and the National Wildlife Refuge System.--The Secretary of the Interior shall not promulgate or enforce any regulation that prohibits an individual from possessing a firearm including an assembled or functional firearm in any unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System if--

(1) the individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm; and

(2) the possession of the firearm is in compliance with the law of the State in which the unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System is located.

Now, I'm happy this is becoming law, not least because of the 'bi-partisanship', but what the heck kind of legislative system allows an amendment with this content onto a credit-card bill?

shirow
05-20-2009, 2:37 PM
This is great! Now to get shall issue...

stormy_clothing
05-20-2009, 2:40 PM
the question is - do I get to keep what I kill ? - mmmm mountain lion PJ's, lol

MKE
05-20-2009, 2:41 PM

The only American people who are going to suffer are the criminals and those intent on preying on armed law-abiding citizens.

yellowfin
05-20-2009, 2:45 PM
It's not the American people she knows. We don't exist as far as she's concerned.

RRangel
05-20-2009, 7:26 PM

No, some of your criminal constituents are going to suffer the most Senator McCarthy.

Steyr_223
05-20-2009, 9:25 PM
"The proposal passed 279-147, winning overwhelming Republican support and that of a significant number of more conservative rural and western Democrats.

The Senate voted 67-29 on Tuesday to attach an identical measure to a bill cracking down on credit card fees. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, was among 27 Democrats backing the measure."

Please note that some Democrats did support this bill, we are not all Anti's. Come on Barry sign this into law!

;)

radioburning
05-20-2009, 11:17 PM
Every time I hear her open her mouth I just wanna :cuss::censored:

Theseus
05-21-2009, 8:23 AM
None of the stories bother to mention this is HR 627 (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:HR00627:).

Coburn's amendment (from Congressional Record via thomas.gov) is Now, I'm happy this is becoming law, not least because of the 'bi-partisanship', but what the heck kind of legislative system allows an amendment with this content onto a credit-card bill?

I am not positive, but I assume much of our Constitution was a negotiated compromise. The Dems want the CC bill passed and the Rep agreed not to hold it up if they got theirs. . . I would assume it happens all the time.

rod
05-21-2009, 9:14 AM
I am not positive, but I assume much of our Constitution was a negotiated compromise. The Dems want the CC bill passed and the Rep agreed not to hold it up if they got theirs. . . I would assume it happens all the time.

That's my take on it. The CC bill is what was voted on and the gun thing was just thrown in to the mix. It really pissed off a lot of gun control freaks. They about lost their minds when this passed. I laughed a little because they don't think twice about adding some retarded bill, that has no chance by itself, to something they know is going to pass. As far as allowing guns into Nat parks, I don't see how this is a big deal in California....yet. You still have to follow State laws, and we all know those still need a little work.

gunsmith
05-22-2009, 2:34 PM
That's my take on it. The CC bill is what was voted on and the gun thing was just thrown in to the mix. It really pissed off a lot of gun control freaks. They about lost their minds when this passed. I laughed a little because they don't think twice about adding some retarded bill, that has no chance by itself, to something they know is going to pass. As far as allowing guns into Nat parks, I don't see how this is a big deal in California....yet. You still have to follow State laws, and we all know those still need a little work.

You can carry LOC in nat forest, so...if this passes LOC in Yosemite.
The anti's will pass ccw just so we keep it concealed rather then scare the sheeple

7x57
05-22-2009, 5:48 PM
I laughed a little because they don't think twice about adding some retarded bill, that has no chance by itself, to something they know is going to pass.

My most cherished source of entertainment right now is hearing them complain about *us* working on incremental victories, going on a "spree" challenging gun control laws, and the like. They don't seem to like being on the other end of the stick very much.

7x57

Knight
05-22-2009, 5:53 PM
Now, I'm happy this is becoming law, not least because of the 'bi-partisanship', but what the heck kind of legislative system allows an amendment with this content onto a credit-card bill?

I couldn't agree more. This kind of tactic is exactly the kind of the thing that most of us gun owners hate about politicians. We won, folks, but we sure used an underhanded method to achieve it.

Kid Stanislaus
05-22-2009, 5:57 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/05/20/house.guns/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

WASHINGTON (CNN) "The NRA is basically taking over the House and the Senate," said Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, D-New York.

Now THERE'S a program I can get behind!!

Rivers
05-22-2009, 6:00 PM
I couldn't agree more. This kind of tactic is exactly the kind of the thing that most of us gun owners hate about politicians. We won, folks, but we sure used an underhanded method to achieve it.

Absolutely! Such a disgraceful way to correct a legal minefield as carrying in a national forest. I feel so ashamed, even mortified that we would resort to the same underhanded sneaky tactics as have been used against us for years.

In case anyone hadn't figured it out, the above paragraph is an example of sarcasm. While in principle I agree with Knight, in real life, I'll take the win and sleep well tonight.

DarkHorse
05-22-2009, 6:23 PM
Note: Bill was signed into law today in the White House Rose Garden.

A big hullabaloo was made about protecting hard-working Americans from sneaky CC Company fees.

Nothing was mentioned (by the Pres.) about the gun amendment to the bill

My source was Yahoo, look it up.

Transmission ends.

7x57
05-22-2009, 6:46 PM
House passes measure expanding gun rights privileges.

Fixed it for you. :(

7x57

Timberline
05-22-2009, 6:58 PM
Fixed it for you. :(

Correct, rights have not been expanded, only privileges.

I think it's fascinating that a Democratic Majority in Congress, and a Democratic President, have just done more to expand the areas where we can carry weapons, than the Republicans managed while they were in charge. :thumbsup:

Theseus
05-22-2009, 7:01 PM
I almost wonder if the intention is to try and "shock" those tree loving anti's.

gunsmith
05-22-2009, 7:55 PM
now we need to make sure we can carry LOC in Yosemite when the law goes into effect, some folks on another forum who work for NPS say "no way" but I think they're confusing the old GW law with the new BO law.

tombinghamthegreat
05-22-2009, 8:07 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124302235634548041.html

Its signed into law as of today:thumbsup: