PDA

View Full Version : Required DOJ Notification

Rukus
05-20-2009, 1:27 PM
I remember reading that an FFL is required to notify the DOJ if someone purchases more than x amount of guns in a 24hour period. I can't seem to find the thread now. Could someone clear this up? If I buy a pistol from dealer inventory the same day I do a ppt does that get reported? What if I buy a rifle and a pistol at the same time?

lunde
05-20-2009, 1:36 PM
If memory serves, it is two handguns within a five-day period, and it is an ATF (Federal) thing. The dealer files the report with the local (to the dealer) police department.

I think I just found the appropriate FAQ item on the ATF website: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#f18

bwiese
05-20-2009, 2:43 PM
Lunde's got it.

It's nothing worrisome. Sometimes the ATF calls the gun shop back to see if it's some kinda questionable situation.

In my case, I'd purchased two consignment guns from the local shop within a week...

Shop: "It's just Bill, he's a local gun nut, saw some old S&Ws he wanted."
ATF: "Thanks." <click>

leelaw
05-20-2009, 3:37 PM
It's an ATF requirement, activated when one person purchases or transfers two or more handguns from one FFL within a 5 day period.

It's a 3-page form (carbon copy).

Page 1 goes to ATF.

Page 2 goes to the designated local or state agency for their records.

Page 3 goes into the FFL's files.

lunde
05-20-2009, 3:40 PM
I should point out that my dealer has needed to fill out this form several times for me, and I have yet to receive a phone call, either from the ATF or from the police.

HowardW56
05-20-2009, 4:00 PM
Lunde's got it.

It's nothing worrisome. Sometimes the ATF calls the gun shop back to see if it's some kinda questionable situation.

In my case, I'd purchased two consignment guns from the local shop within a week...

Shop: "It's just Bill, he's a local gun nut, saw some old S&Ws he wanted."
ATF: "Thanks." <click>

I've heard similar stories.... And I've been known to purchase more than one gun at a time... Turners is good for that, they will notify the local PD if you PPT more than one gun at a time..