PDA

View Full Version : Where to sight in irons for AR in Bay Area?

IPSICK
05-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Just wondering where I can sight in my iron sighted AR in the Bay Area. I want to use the army standard 25m/300m method. Any places where I can set a target at 25m? Anyone got info for Jackon Arms indoor range in South San Francisco?

Thanks.

Gio
05-20-2009, 12:52 PM
If I knew what that method was I would be able to help you out. Chabot Range has a 100 yard line, a 50 and 20 yard line for rifles. Metfcalf has a 200 yard line but I think it is only open on certain days. Not sure who else has more options out there.

Jackson Arms info here:

Welcome to Jackson Arms

152 Utah Ave.
South San Francisco, CA 94080

Business Hours:
Open 7 days a week
We are closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day

Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
Saturday: 10:00am - 9:00pm
Sunday: 10:00am - 7:00pm
Hours are subject to change without notice.

http://www.jacksonarms.com/

-Gio

bluthandwerk
05-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Jackson's rifle line is 25 yards long. I've used it for sighting in before. Chabot has 25 yard positions on its' rifle line as well if you prefer to be outdoors.

Gio
05-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Jackson's rifle line is 25 yards long. I've used it for sighting in before. Chabot has 25 yard positions on its' rifle line as well if you prefer to be outdoors.

It's actually 20 yards, not 25 then goes to 50 and a 100 yards. Chabot that is :D

-Gio

bluthandwerk
05-20-2009, 1:02 PM
It's actually 20 yards, not 25 then goes to 50 and a 100 yards. Chabot that is :D

-Gio

Ah, I've only used the 50 for sighting in there. I think they've got a few stations for 75 too, at least that's what the guys next to me were saying there last weekend.

IPSICK
05-20-2009, 1:24 PM
Sounds like I may have to try the 50yd/200m Santose RIBZ, if those are the only ranges available. Unless anyone has more info or an alternative.

Btw,

Sorry not army but USMC. Anyways, this is the 25m/300m zero method per ar15zeroing.com:

U.S. Marine Corps Zeroing Procedure

The USMC zeroes all weapons with the small rear sight aperture and adjusts for a 300 meter zero.

The USMC Operators Manual TM9- 1005-3 19-10 for the Ml 6A2/M4 defines the Battlesight Zero as the following:

1. The front sight post and rear sight windage knob are adjusted so you can hit your point of aim at 300 meters.
2. The unmarked aperture must be in the up position. (this refers to the small aperture)
3. The 300-meter mark is aligned with the mark on the left side of the receiver. (8/3)

On my Colt AR-15, a “z” can be found 2 clicks above the “6/3” setting. You must adjust your rear-sight elevation to this setting and use the small rear sight aperture (from now on this will be referred to as the “unmarked aperture” to be in compliance with the manual). With this setting, the rifle will achieve a point-of-aim, point-of-impact at 25 meters which achieves a 300 meter battlesight zero. To place your actual 300 meter zero on the rifle, rotate the rear sight elevation knob 2 clicks down back to “6/3.”

According to page 58 of the manual:

“The normal rear sight aperture (unmarked) flips forward to expose a larger aperture marked 0-2. Use the 0-2 aperture only when the 3 is aligned with the mark on the left side of the receiver and the sight is rotated down. You will automatically get a zero of 200 meters. Use the 0-2 aperture when shooting at night or at close range, e.g., in a city or dense jungle.”

From page 60:

“The 0-2 aperture is preset for targets between 0 and 200 meters. Moving targets at close range are easier to hit if you use the larger aperture.”

With a 300 meter zero on your rifle, the sight crossings are at 37 meters (or so) and 300 meters.
Anything you shoot between these distances will result in a high strike (or require you to hold under the target like the US Army teaches) unless you flip to the 0-2 aperture. Interestingly, no firing ranges in the US are surveyed to fit this type of setup and distances except for Marine Corps ranges (the US Army uses this same procedure now but their ranges are built for an older procedure which was not mathematically correct).

Analysis: The Marine Corps technique is mathematically correct. For purposes of training at Front Sight, this zeroing technique will work well but you MUST use the 0-2 aperture or you will be shooting too high. The Marines do not use the 0-2 aperture beyond the 100 meter distance. They do not train for nor have in their doctrine any mention of using the 0-2 aperture for precision shooting in ideal light conditions. The standard course of fire for Marine rifle qualification is done at 200, 300, and 500 meters with the unmarked aperture. In order to shoot at 200 meters, the rear sight elevation knob on the M-16A2 must be turned 2 clicks lower than the “8/3” setting but still use the unmarked aperture. The rear sight on my Own Colt H-Bar bottoms out at “6/3” which prevents a 200 meter zero with the unmarked aperture.

TZL
05-20-2009, 2:04 PM
sunnyvale rod and gun is good b/c you can move your target frame from 25, to 50 and 100 without changing benches

IPSICK
05-20-2009, 2:23 PM
sunnyvale rod and gun is good b/c you can move your target frame from 25, to 50 and 100 without changing benches

Thanks that sounds great. I'll have to look into this place. More suggestions are still appreciated.

b.faust
05-20-2009, 3:47 PM
Richmond Rod and Gun also has 25/50/100 for rifle without changing bench, and alternatively, the ROs allow you to zero 25 on the pistol range as long as you check with them ahead of time.

B.

domokun
05-20-2009, 4:49 PM

-Gio

Are you sure it's 20 yards and not 25? The website says something about 25 yards...:confused:

sonicbuff
05-20-2009, 6:58 PM

+1

I like Sunnyvale R&G. The folks are pretty friendly there.

NSR500
05-20-2009, 7:10 PM
Metcalf has 50 and 100yds available but you got to switch benches... Unless you are there on a very slow day and talk to the RSO. They might let you take rifle lane 9, and allow you to shoot at target 9 and 10, so you get a 50 and 100yd target lane from one position.

doughboy334
05-20-2009, 7:29 PM

sunnyvale's range is the shiznit! :thumbsup:

aklon
05-20-2009, 10:37 PM
Don't forget Livermore. I sighted in an A2 out there on the 25 yard line not long ago worked out just fine. When I was done, I flipped up the 0-200 and put 20 rounds in the black at 100 yards from the same firing point.

tango5
05-21-2009, 11:09 AM
If you are a member at United Sportsmen in Concord, they have a 200yd range.

thempopresense
05-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Livermore has a 25 and 100 yard line, you can shoot at both targets without moving anything. I would suggest going in the morning because there is less wind and no sun on your back.

ElevenBravO
05-21-2009, 12:13 PM
.Wait. Didn't the OP asked for a 25m range? Everyone is talking about yards, I didn't see anyone put up about meters. Unless I'm wrong, which I might cause I don't know where any range that uses meters in Bay Area or in California

To the OP, I understand what you're talking about, the whole "Zeroing" at 25m/300m method. After BCT, I picked up an AR and from what I understand I haven't been or heard of a range that uses meters, only yards. But I could be wrong (please correct me if I am mistaken). The whole idea of this method is to zero in at 25m and then use Kentucky windage from 26m - 300m or more. As far as I understand that the military uses this method so that in the field, there shouldn't be any zeroing while in contact with an enemy, the person is to estimate the distance of the target and use Kentucky windage with iron sights or optics. This is what I understand from it when I went through BCT. But if I am wrong, please feel free to correct me

ElevenBravO
05-21-2009, 12:25 PM
.Wait. Didn't the OP asked for a 25m range? Everyone is talking about yards, I didn't see anyone put up about meters. Unless I'm wrong, which I might cause I don't know where any range that uses meters in Bay Area or in California

To the OP, I understand what you're talking about, the whole "Zeroing" at 25m/300m method. After BCT, I picked up an AR and from what I understand I haven't been or heard of a range that uses meters, only yards. But I could be wrong (please correct me if I am mistaken). The whole idea of this method is to zero in at 25m and then use Kentucky windage from 26m - 300m or more. As far as I understand that the military uses this method so that in the field, there shouldn't be any zeroing while in contact with an enemy, the person is to estimate the distance of the target and use Kentucky windage with iron sights or optics. This is what I understand from it when I went through BCT. But if I am wrong, please feel free to correct me

NSR500
05-21-2009, 3:52 PM
The difference between yards to meters is small for small arms engagments. A 25yd civilian rifle line will equal 22.86m, which is close enough of a variance to zero with.

mls343
05-21-2009, 3:58 PM
The best shooting range in the Bay Area, by far, is the Los Altos Rod and Gun Club located on Hwy 35 near Castle Rock. They have a full service pistol range a 40 yard TIN CAN range, 100 yard range, and a 100 yard TIN CAN range (may have more...).

Nothing like sighting in your weapon by blowing up a warmed, sealed liter of 7Up at 100 yards...:43:

:thumbsup:

dirtykoala
05-21-2009, 4:18 PM
+1 for sunnyvale rod and gun.

Requiem
05-21-2009, 4:39 PM
circle s shooting ranch out of Petaluma in the north bay has 100, 200, and 300 yard range for rifles, and 25 and 50 yd for pistol and others.

http://www.sonomashooting.org/circles.html

IPSICK
05-21-2009, 4:52 PM
Ideally I'd like to find a 25m range but fortunately we live in America where the metric system is more of a problem than gun ownership rights. For now I'd probably consider 25yds close enough for non-gov't work and I think Livermore fits my purposes. If I really wanted to get it perfect I'd probably beg an RO at the Richmond Action Range to let me measure 25m and set a target stand there and then zero it. The Santose method is still a consideration and finding a 50yd range is much easier anyways. Thank for all the replies.