PDA

View Full Version : Whats the point of quad rails?

nrakid88
05-20-2009, 10:28 AM
So I am wondering what the point of quad rails are. I had one on my 20 inch build before. With a foregrip and a flash light... but it just made the gun too heavy to comfortably shoot offhand... I am going to start a new build, 16 inch gov profile, a light gun, and am wondering if it will be too heavy too if I get a quad rail and foregrip. I really like the looks of the rails, but I think I am more comfortable with regular handguards than foregrips... Am I the only one?

fatass
05-20-2009, 10:31 AM
dd lites are pretty damn lite. i'm getting one installed on my BCM upper, I doubt that with just the rails it'll be too much heavier...

Jicko
05-20-2009, 10:32 AM
your personal preference...

and some quad rails are meant to FF your barrel.... improves accuracy...

others are just for mounting accessories...

djleisure
05-20-2009, 10:33 AM
For this, of course! (someone had to do it)

http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/119829.jpg

evan69
05-20-2009, 10:37 AM
Some reasons are flexibility, mounting things where you want, tacticool, etc. I just like how they look, so if I ever mount anything I will get quad rails.

operationblackwater
05-20-2009, 10:38 AM
DD, Vltor are lite. No matter what rail system you install and how lite it is, the weight of the rail wont really matter if you adapt components to it. Then again you just get used to it. If you are just plinking at the range it could feel heavy, I just got used to the weight after patrolling in Iraq.

joelogic
05-20-2009, 10:44 AM
friends don't let friends hold the magwell.

rugit
05-20-2009, 11:29 AM
http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.4_hg.php

if you get this ff tube or one like it you can save on weight by putting the rails only where you want them

Barney Gumble
05-20-2009, 11:29 AM
The point is to mount stuff on them. If you don't need that functionality, stick with regular plastic handguards and throw an Aimpoint and rear sight on your upper and you're good to go! Makes for a nice KISS build.

Also I remember seeing somewhere that the DD lite is no heavier than the plastic handguards because the DD barrel nut is so much lighter than the regular barrel nut. Maybe someone can confirm, I've never weighed them. Maybe that's true of other rails as well?

djleisure
05-20-2009, 11:37 AM
You could always go with the Magpul MOE handguard as well. It looks a little cooler than standard handguards IMO plus you have slots to mount rails where needed...

Jicko
05-20-2009, 11:41 AM
http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.4_hg.php

if you get this ff tube or one like it you can save on weight by putting the rails only where you want them

That tube is NO lighter, if not heavier, than some of the "light" railed HG. I bet it is heavier than DD lite or even DD omega.

Oh, one GREAT thing about the JP tube tho... is that they already have 45deg mounting points.... that's really GREAT for putting on secondary red-dot optic in addition to a scope on the flat-top

You could always go with the Magpul MOE handguard as well. It looks a little cooler than standard handguards IMO plus you have slots to mount rails where needed...

But they rattle!!

stix213
05-20-2009, 11:43 AM
For this, of course! (someone had to do it)

http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/119829.jpg

Holy crap!

djleisure
05-20-2009, 11:48 AM
But they rattle!!
Eeww - didn't know that. Is that just your experience or is that "common knowledge" on those? I know they are new, but that's the first time I've heard that they are loose-fitting. That would drive me crazy.

Jicko
05-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Eeww - didn't know that. Is that just your experience or is that "common knowledge" on those? I know they are new, but that's the first time I've heard that they are loose-fitting. That would drive me crazy.

Personal experience, and I had seen more than a few....

They are "tighter" than regular M4s.... but they still move....

glock_this
05-20-2009, 11:59 AM

yep.. OR you could go with the standard hand guards you want and you can buy those 3-4" bolt on rails which would be just enough to bolt on/into the plastic where you want to put just the item(s) you want on.

http://www.sporterexpress.com/images/250-120a.jpg

bobfried
05-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Most quality FF HG nowadays weight LESS than the stock HG setup, even the drop in DD OMEGA rails are lighter than the double heat shield HG it is replacing (8oz for the DD OMEGA and 8.9oz for a set of double shielded M4 HG).

The misnomer of FF rail system being heavier is about 10 years old when all you had were ARMS SIR to play with. Nowadays, any of the quality rails will free float your barrel, allow you to mount up rails, be stronger than the regular HG AND lighter. Basically it's a smack load of benefits with the only draw back being price.

bootcamp
05-20-2009, 12:04 PM
That pic is hillarious.

Never understood the "want" for rails in a civilian environment (plinking).

Other than tacticoolness.

bobfried
05-20-2009, 12:08 PM
That pic is hillarious.

Never understood the "want" for rails in a civilian environment (plinking).

Other than tacticoolness.

You meant NEED!

No civilian NEED a rail, but everyone WANT a rail. Than again, no one NEED a house, car, 3 meals a day or clothes, but they sure as heck WANT it.

supersonic
05-20-2009, 1:22 PM
dd lites are pretty damn lite. i'm getting one installed on my BCM upper, I doubt that with just the rails it'll be too much heavier...

I don't mean to threadjack, but HOW in the HELL did you get away with your username not being CENSORED???????????:confused: Any time that word is typed in, it is "auto-censored." Watch: ***. See? :eek:

EDIT: Wow, I think I see now. If you type in "fat" before "***" ....it comes out uncensored!!!!!! Watch: FATASS!!! See?

dchang0
05-20-2009, 1:48 PM
The DD rails are lighter than factory plastic handguards, believe it or not!

cmace22
05-20-2009, 2:14 PM
I don't mean to threadjack, but HOW in the HELL did you get away with your username not being CENSORED???????????:confused: Any time that word is typed in, it is "auto-censored." Watch: ***. See? :eek:

EDIT: Wow, I think I see now. If you type in "fat" before "***" ....it comes out uncensored!!!!!! Watch: FATASS!!! See?

:rofl2:

fatass
05-20-2009, 2:39 PM
haha, shhhhh

glock_this
05-20-2009, 2:59 PM

here is a set just listed (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186155)!! jump on them