View Full Version : San Jose area "safety classes" for kids

05-20-2009, 9:22 AM
My wife approached me yesterday about taking our soon-to-be-7-year-old through some form of "gun safety class". I feel that I could drill him on the usual things (treat every gun as loaded, don't point it at anything you don't intend to shoot, basic Eddie Eagle points, etc.), but my wife would likely be more comfortable with him in a "real class".

He doesn't seem to have any particular fascination with my guns (he knows I have them, but hasn't once asked to see them, touch them, etc.), though he has asked a couple of times in the last year when he'll be "old enough" for me to take him to shoot my old .22 Marlin No. 29.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for an age-appropriate firearms safety class in the south SF Bay area? I've briefly looked at the NRA site, but didn't see anything.

05-20-2009, 11:24 AM

You have a nice option, in San Jose.

Dean Peterson and Bill Lyles, who are highly experienced instructors, run the 'juniors programme' at the old San Jose range, every Saturday from 8AM (approx) to 2PM.

You and your son could formally enroll in the programme, and your son could participate in NRA-recognised target shooting events intended as basic rifle instruction for young people.

I mayn't make any commitments of their time, of course, but I'd think it reasonable that Bill or Dean would be willing to arrange to provide some personal basic firearms safety and proficiency instruction, on a one-to-one basis, when they would have the time available.

If nothing else, I'd invite you and your son to the range in the early afternoon (2-3-ish PM) as my guests (meaning it wouldn't cost you anything) of any second Saturday, and I'd be happy to provide some basic safety/proficiency training with a .22 rifle, for your son.....the only thing that I require is that a parent/guardian be present with the young person at all times.

This is at the old San Jose range, 1580 South 10th St., in San Jose. (Tenth St. exit from the 280 fwy, go southbound past Alma Ave, look on the left just past the City ice skating rink)

If Saturdays are inconvenient for you, e-mail me, and I'll get you in touch with one or another of the Rifle Club members who could provide the instruction for your son, and would be at the range on some week-day evening.

05-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Thank you Carla. That seems to be exactly what I need.

Is the "formal" 0800-1400 Saturday program "show up / sign up", or is advance registration required?

05-20-2009, 3:09 PM
Hello again, Don,

My understanding is that you and your son simply 'show up', at 0700 to 0800, somewhere in that time-frame, ask for Bill or Dean, and they will make arrangements. (tell them Carla sent you, so if I gave you the wrong info, I'm to blame......could be that they want the juniors to go through a specific course structure, with established beginning dates, etc.......but if for whatever reason your son can't be included in the formal event, I'm sure they can arrange for suitable safety/proficiency instruction for him)

There is some event fee involved, but it would be a very modest one, the event is a non-profit public service programme.

Dr. Peter Venkman
05-22-2009, 6:24 PM
Check out the San Jose Zouaves

05-22-2009, 7:35 PM
I can no longer speak offically for either club, but the juniors programs at the SCVRC and SJ Zouaves nominally set the minimum age for participation at 10yrs old. Exceptions have been made to account for an exceptional maturity level of a participant. The age requirement results from the extremely hands-on activities of these programs. It would be best to contact the representative of these programs to see if your son can participate.

mala in se
06-01-2009, 4:10 PM
i take my son to metcalf on the 2nd saturday of each month where SJ Zouaves members do safety course prior to shooting 22lr rifles. the safety course is bare bones basic info, but at the same time the information is essential.

06-01-2009, 4:29 PM
Another fun option is to enroll him in some of the upcoming cub scout day camps.

They offer bb gun shooting, archery and lots more!

06-10-2009, 1:39 PM
Target Masters West offers free safety classes every monday nights 7pm-9pm.