View Full Version : boresight a semi auto 22?

05-20-2009, 12:21 AM
I just got a scope for an old semi auto .22 rifle that I have. I was wondering if there is a boresighting technique to use without having to use a boresighter? It's not like a bolt action where I can just look all the way down the barrel. I'm trying to find a way to do it without having to spend money on a laser....any suggestions?

05-20-2009, 12:27 AM
Not really sure how you could do that, but why not just shoot it? I mean it's only .22, not really costing too much to get it dialed in.

05-20-2009, 12:32 AM
Hang a target at 50 yards and do it the old fashioned way.

If you can't get it within 1 MOA of "dialed in" with $1 worth of ammo, the laser wouldn't have helped you much anyhow.

05-20-2009, 8:08 AM
i duct-taped a cheap laser to the barrel and adjusted the scope to 'get it close', then off to the range to get it dialed

Texas Boy
05-20-2009, 10:15 AM
In the past I've used a bright flashlight (like a Surefire) and directed the light down the barrel from the breach end. You may need to improvise some mirrors or even a simple tube to prevent stray light from going everywhere. The goal is to block enough stray light that you can go into a dim or dark room and the light going down the barrel will project a circle on the wall.

You then center your scope or sights on this circle. This won't be nearly as good as a laser bore sight, but it will at least get you on the paper at 25 yards.

Rifle Fetish
05-20-2009, 11:24 AM
I have the same problem. Im gonna try both of those ideas.

05-20-2009, 4:20 PM
thanks for all who replied! I will try some of the ideas out this weekend

05-20-2009, 5:33 PM
In an ideal world, the scope will be pretty close to start with straight from the factory - maybe a little elevation adjustment will be needed depending on how you've got it mounted. So you could probably just mount the sucker and plink away and see where you're at.

If you must tweak it before test firing, try this - when you go to the range, take the upper off the lower and lay it on the bench nice and flat. I put a couple of sand bags on mine to keep it from moving. Then look down the barrel from the breach end and "eyeball" it up with the target at 25 yards (I couldn't see well enough at 50 yards with my crappy glasses). Then view the target through the scope and dial it in. Reassemble your upper and fire away. This will get you close enough on paper where you can start to dial it in with live fire.

EDIT: nevermind, I just read the OP. I had mistakenly assumed we were talking about an AR set up. My bad.

Jonathan Doe
05-20-2009, 7:01 PM
Try at 25 yards. Then move to whatever distance you want to zero it.