PDA

View Full Version : Felon change of last name allowed to buy Handguns?

shooter308
05-19-2009, 9:54 PM
Some guy I met at the range, an admitted felon. According to him, he did time in prison for murder (with prison tats) was able to buy handguns at an FFL gunshop, 2 Glocks, one is a full size 40 cal.

He changed his last name and was able to buy several handguns, is this true or was he bs'ing?

It may have been purchased by his wife too but was told it was registered to him.

DDT
05-19-2009, 9:59 PM
not legally but it is possible that a change of name wouldn't make it into the computer system.

shooter308
05-19-2009, 10:02 PM
not legally but it is possible that a change of name wouldn't make it into the computer system.

The subject of being a felon came up, when we talked about concealed carry.

I told him, if you have good cause, like I do. OCSD will approve your app.

He then told me, if there is a SS/ fingerprint check, he'll be denied and he told me about being a felon, etc...

Josh
05-19-2009, 10:03 PM
he is not allowed to buy or own any firearms.

Just because he got around the system doesnt make it legal. And if his wife did buy them for him then its a straw purchase as he is not legally allowed to possess a firearm.

M. D. Van Norman
05-19-2009, 10:06 PM
Felons can own any firearms they want and donít need concealed-carry permits. Itís right there in the job description.

B Strong
05-20-2009, 5:33 AM
Some guy I met at the range, an admitted felon. According to him, he did time in prison for murder (with prison tats) was able to buy handguns at an FFL gunshop, 2 Glocks, one is a full size 40 cal.

He changed his last name and was able to buy several handguns, is this true or was he bs'ing?

It may have been purchased by his wife too but was told it was registered to him.

He might be able to get by on beating the background check, but he's breaking the law.

A name change does not legally change one's status as a convicted felon.

JDoe
05-20-2009, 6:22 AM

Did you just walk away from a murdering felon in possession of firearms without calling 911? :confused:

Fjold
05-20-2009, 6:33 AM

Just because he got around the system doesnt make it legal. And if his wife did buy them for him then its a straw purchase as he is not legally allowed to possess a firearm.

He's not allowed to touch them.

halifax
05-20-2009, 6:39 AM
I can't believe he changed his name legally, probably just stole someone else's.

WHenderson
05-20-2009, 7:08 AM
His original name is connected to his new name unless he has assumed a false identity. On your drivers license or ID card, you can put whatever name you like to call yourself (you used to be able to anyway). The number on the DL or ID card does not change. He wouldn't clear a DROS. If he just calls himself joe blow without any ID, he is using an alias. He's probably a big BSer. A convicted felon is committing another felony by being in possession of any firearm. Even if it is his wife's gun, he can't legally use it.

shooter308
05-20-2009, 7:19 AM
Did you just walk away from a murdering felon in possession of firearms without calling 911? :confused:

It was non of my business to call 911, it's the DOJ's job to do the background check not me for all I know he was bs'ing since he was with 3 women and one was his wife.

Dude was cocky and arrogant. I thought I'd rather be listening to what he had to say and got a chuckle out of it.

shooter308
05-20-2009, 7:24 AM
What if he was from out of state and moved in CA and had a new DL?

B Strong
05-20-2009, 7:37 AM
What if he was from out of state and moved in CA and had a new DL?

It's still a no-go.

A convicted felon's status follows them across state lines.

cousinkix1953
05-20-2009, 7:38 AM

There was a dope dealer who ran a jewelry and gun store in Scotts Valley in the 90s. He had a prior conviction for selling marijuana; so the FFL was in his wife's name. Then he got busted with some weed in the back of his place again. The police and the feds pulled the plug on the operation...

shooter308
05-20-2009, 8:05 AM
Good.

So, a persons DL record follows them everywhere.

I have no idea why he got 2 Glocks in his name, probably under his wife's name too.

Thanks.

Table Rock Arms
05-20-2009, 7:51 PM
Maybe its just me, but when someone tells me they were in prison for murder I usually don"t hang around to long.

jamesob
05-20-2009, 7:56 PM
he was b.sing you. no one would admit to murder and tell you he purchased weapons, total b.s

the_quark
05-20-2009, 8:05 PM
On your drivers license or ID card, you can put whatever name you like to call yourself (you used to be able to anyway).

That's no longer true - you have to have a social security number to get a driver's license or ID card, now, and that number has to belong to a name that is the same as the one on your card:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#SSN

I know this personally because, when we got married in '96, my wife never bothered changing her last name with the Social Security Administration, but did, everywhere else (new driver's license, etc.). Only effect it had was that we filed our taxes with her maiden name on them.

Last year, her license expired, she went to the DMV, and they wouldn't renew it with her married name until she actually changed her last name with the Social Security Administration.

-TQ

shooter308
05-21-2009, 6:22 AM
I was going to high tail it out of there but I already paid for my range fees and don't want to lose the fee over it. I could have moved to a different spot but didn't.

Plus the dude had 3 eye candy with him.

I kind of thought he was bs'ing, he mentioned it over and over within earshot of the women including his wife. Probably convicted of something else though, the prison tats were a giveaway.