PDA

View Full Version : Mauser feed issue

Crusader
05-19-2009, 9:43 PM
Harmoniums made a video of me shooting my Kar98k today. It's the 3rd one.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186718&page=7

He edited most of it, because it's embarrasing. But you can clearly see 2 or 3 examples of where the bolt simply pushes the round into the chamber, rather than snagging the round and feeding it. I was able to remedy it this time by simply pointing the barrel up. But it's really annoying.

I have a Czech Kar98k rifle that is having some feeding issues. I love it to death, but the last time I took it out shooting I probably had this same problem happen 5 times.

At random times, the claw extractor/ejector will not snag the case by the lip when chambering, and will rather just push it straight into the chamber. If I am working the bolt hard and fast, the result is a round stuck in the chamber but that won't extract because the claw never hooked on to the case.

I can force the round to chamber when it is stuck in this fashion, but to do so requires all my strength pushing down on the bolt handle to force the claw around the round already stuck in the chamber.

I know this is not normal, because if this happened in combat it would pretty much be a death sentence... I'm a really strong guy and it takes all my might to snap the bolt into place when this issue happens.

The only other choice is to pull out the cleaning rod and slam down on the bullet a couple times to force it back out of the chamber.

Does anyone know what's going on, and what I can do to fix it? Other than this issue, the rifle performs wonderfully. And it only happens on every 30-40 rounds or so.

God Bless The Mauser
05-19-2009, 9:53 PM
NEVER try and close the bolt if the round goes in front of the extractor like that as it can break the extractor since it's a fixed extractor. I've had the problem you described when I was using Romanian ammo on clips and it wasn't feeding from the clip very well because of the laquer coated rounds. Make sure all the rounds are as far back in the magazine as they can and it should feed right.

Crusader
05-19-2009, 10:01 PM
This issue came up with Turkish and Romanian ammo both, so I don't know what was up. I realized after the second time I closed the bolt in such a way that I shouldn't do it so no worries there.

But this was coming up when both using clips and when hand feeding them in. And if I load with clips, there's no way for me to push the rounds back any farther.

God Bless The Mauser
05-19-2009, 10:11 PM
It happened to me when I was cycling the bolt fast too which was too bad because it ruined a good video. I was just seeing if I could get it to do it in my K98 but having the rounds further foreward in the magazine and it didn't do it. If I started to move the bolt and stopped it would get in front of the extractor but I don't know how that could happen cycling the bolt fast.

Crusader
05-19-2009, 10:15 PM
Haha so basically we don't know what's going on. Sweet.

Pthfndr
05-19-2009, 10:42 PM
buy a new extractor

MrKyle
05-19-2009, 11:29 PM
Does your extractor flex at all when you push on its side against the bolt?

Crusader
05-20-2009, 7:08 AM
Does your extractor flex at all when you push on its side against the bolt?

You mean pushing it towards the bolt? Yes it does. And it breaks down just fine for cleaning and snaps right back together again when reassembling.

MrKyle
05-20-2009, 1:02 PM
You can try asking this question on the military mauser forum on gunboards.com here:

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

There's a lot of knowledge there. They might know what the issue is.

God Bless The Mauser
05-20-2009, 1:22 PM
The extractor tip could be bent in a little too much.

Crusader
05-25-2009, 7:24 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186718&page=7
The 3rd video shows my Mauser in action today (thanks Harmoniums).

Much of it is edited, but you can see 2 or 3 times where the bolt simply pushes the round into the chamber, rather than grabbing it with the extractor and feeding it in.