PDA

View Full Version : Walther P99 Racegun?

Moxie
05-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Anyone ever see a Walther P99 turned into a open racegun? Or have they tried it themselves?

I figure if a Glock 17 can be made into one, why not a P99. Unfortunately, the aftermarket for the Walther is significantly smaller than Glocks.

Black Majik
05-19-2009, 10:56 PM
I haven't seen a race gun P99 yet, but a few observations.

The P99, is the snappiest of my 9mm pistols, and along the compact family.

Lack of aftermarket support

Short sight radius, it's moreso comparable to a G19 than the G17.

Baseplates on factory magazines have a history of failing spilling ammo contained in the magazine

Overall, I feel that the P99 is the black sheep of the polymer handguns. They're just not popular enough to warrant companies to make aftermarket parts for it. Glocks, XDs, and M&Ps rule the polymer handgun market.

My P99 has the shortest reset, even shorter reset than my Glocks. The DA is very smooth, the slack is quite long though.

awl168
05-20-2009, 8:59 AM
Lack of aftermarket support

I agree completely. As you stated, the P99 isn't popular enough to warrant companies to start producing the amount of aftermarket products that are available for other brands.

Baseplates on factory magazines have a history of failing spilling ammo contained in the magazine.

I thought this issue only applied to the .40cal mags? Is it also an issue with the 9mm? I haven't experience any breaking with my 9mm baseplates, but will consider getting a few spares just in case.

X-NewYawker
05-20-2009, 9:02 AM
I think you'd be more likely to make a race gun out of an XD...

Black Majik
05-20-2009, 10:04 AM
I

I thought this issue only applied to the .40cal mags? Is it also an issue with the 9mm? I haven't experience any breaking with my 9mm baseplates, but will consider getting a few spares just in case.

You very well may be correct. I never had problems with my P99 9mm mags either, but those mags have never been dropped.