PDA

View Full Version : I hate to do it, buuuut, I have an OLL question.

Spyder
05-19-2009, 8:19 PM
I've got my BOHICA built and test fired. Planning on getting her sighted in tomorrow afternoon.

The way I have her set up right now is with no mag catch at all on the lower, pistol grip, A2 stock. Because it is a single shot bolt action rifle, this is fine.

Would it be better, worse or merely equal to have a bullet button installed or to have no mag catch at all. If it there is nothing there to hold in the magazine, than the rifle does not have the ability to accept a detachable magazine, correct?

...going to go read CCR 11 section 5469 (a) to see if I can figure this out on my own...but if anyone can guide me, I'd appreciate it.

Josh3239
05-19-2009, 8:27 PM
The last time I remember this question, the general consensus was that it was a bad idea because you can hold a magazine in there with either your hand or a table and it doesn't require a tool to remove.

Spyder
05-19-2009, 8:32 PM
Hmmm...K. That kinda makes sense, damnitt. Going to have to go dig up a bullet button then I guess.

Arteel
05-19-2009, 8:33 PM
Where are you located at? If you dont mind me asking.

Vinz
05-19-2009, 8:35 PM
Put the mag catch on ,can't you have anything on it since its a single shot? including a detatchable magazine.

Its no longer a semi automatic.

vinz

bigcalidave
05-19-2009, 8:38 PM
You say it's a bolt action rifle? No gas system? No buffer? I think you would be fine if it is NOT a semi auto rifle. All that said, why? why have you built the whole thing and not put a bullet button on there?

ohsmily
05-19-2009, 8:42 PM
If it isn't semi-auto, then 12276.1(a)(1)(A)-(F) does not apply. It doesn't matter what you do.

Spyder
05-19-2009, 9:13 PM
IIIIiii understand that because it is a bolt action, it doesn't matter. I'm just wondering about the potential un-educated LEO out there. Especially since I'm shooting with a few of 'em tomorrow. Not worried about the legality of it but don't want to raise any hackles of people that may freak out because they don't understand it.

Bigcalidave, I built it without a bullet button because up until a few days ago it was a .204 Ruger with a U15 stock on it, which didn't need the bullet button. =]

Arteel, I'm about an hour north of you, in the middle of nowhere.

wash
05-20-2009, 8:10 AM
A bullet button or a Prince 50 with locktite and a 5 round hunting magazine or single shot sled would be the safest thing.

I wouldn't worry about it when the bolt action upper is on, but if someone decides to slap a .223 upper on it, a fixed magazine would avoid any "assault weapon" issues.