PDA

View Full Version : Building or buying a 1911 Long slide ?

brendog10
05-19-2009, 9:04 PM
Hello y'all ,
I really want a 1911 long slide and have as long as I can remember. I just went looking for one and was shocked to find that on dealer has them , and that they don't seem to be approved for California. So my question is , is there anyone offering an affordable 1911 long slide to CA? and if not is there anyone who I can buy parts from to build my own ? I have also had the urge to build myself a 1911 but am running into walls there as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated .

CA Gun Laws Suck
05-19-2009, 11:59 PM
Longslide as in 6 in instead of a 5in? you would probably have to get a frame or start with a cheap gun and build it yourself. Or send it out to wilson, Les baer or springfield. Les baer has 6 in slides on his website with barrels and everything if you want to take that route. There really arent any approved longslide 1911's these days unfortunatly.

brendog10
05-20-2009, 7:37 AM
Well, darn.
So, if I purchased a RIA GI frame & a slide and barrel from Fusion I should be started in building my own? or is there any reason to believe that I would be stopped from purchasing the slide from fusion?

JTROKS
05-20-2009, 8:44 AM
You can buy any parts to make a 1911 except a frame which is the only part that has a serial number requiring an FFL paperwork, unless someone in CA has one and will sell it via PPT. There are a lot of folks in these boards with the know how to build 1911s. My advice is to get a RIA or a SA GI and build it from there. When you buy a slide, barrel/bushing and the other parts to make a complete top end there is no guarantee everything will drop in and provide a match grade fit. If you want a high tolerance match grade upper to shoot bullseye you'll have to get gunsmith fit slide, barrel and bushing. If you'll go that route I suggest a competent 1911 smith to fit your gun. The slide will need to be fitted to the frame and if you're starting with a complete RIA or SA then you may want to keep the frames original dimension to keep using the original top end for other purposes. The barrel will need fitting so does the bushing. Mostly everything should drop in unless you want custom the extractor and ejector tuned. A tight fitting firing pin stop is also a plus to keep the extractor in place providing consistent pressure to the rim. You can look into Caspian for your 6" longslide build, click on the slide.

http://www.caspianarms.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/SLLONG.jpg (http://www.caspianarms.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=CAL)

1923mack
05-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Do you allready own a 1911? If yes you are good to go. Buy the slide and barrel from whoever and it can be installed on your existing frame.

brendog10
05-20-2009, 11:28 AM
I do. I was hoping to build a complete new one though . But I guess that's out of the question . unless I buy a whole new gun and replace the slide. :(

B Strong
05-20-2009, 5:19 PM
It's a worthwhile project.

The 6" is better than the 7" (AMT Longslide) when it comes to reliability, and if you put one together, make sure you start off with a standard spec. recoil spring.

I made the mistake of going to a higher Lb. rate and reliability went south.

JTROKS
05-20-2009, 9:41 PM
If you are shooting standard 45acp loads a 16lb spring will do, in fact a 15 lb variable might be better since the extra mass of slide and barrel will delay the rearward travel some. The recoil spring plugs for the 6" slide should utilize standard 5" recoil springs.

It's a worthwhile project.

The 6" is better than the 7" (AMT Longslide) when it comes to reliability, and if you put one together, make sure you start off with a standard spec. recoil spring.

I made the mistake of going to a higher Lb. rate and reliability went south.

Riodog
05-20-2009, 10:27 PM
WELL, I just completed a 'long slide' in 10MM. It is on a Para P-16 frame and a Fusion slide. I had Irv Stone of Barsto Barrels do the install including a match barrel. It is extremely 'picky' as to ammo. It will run all day long on 180g but is less than reliable with 170g bullets.
The cost was over 2100 bucks. You can do better.

Call Bob Serva, owner of Fusion, buy an approved weapon and have him install the long slide before it ever leaves his domain. He'll prolly 'refund' the difference in slide cost when you return the original slide, barrel, etc.
He's extremely easy to deal with as is Irv Stone.
I just went about it in the wrong way to get what I wanted, NOW!
Rio

Z ME FLY
05-21-2009, 3:51 PM
Doesn't RIA make a 6 inch? I think on the 1911 boards some members got the GI then got the different parts from RIA for the 6 inch top.

B Strong
05-21-2009, 4:26 PM
If you are shooting standard 45acp loads a 16lb spring will do, in fact a 15 lb variable might be better since the extra mass of slide and barrel will delay the rearward travel some. The recoil spring plugs for the 6" slide should utilize standard 5" recoil springs.

You're 100% correct.

I made the mistake of thinking that higher slide mass meant I had to use a higher spring rate.

randy
05-21-2009, 6:20 PM
Cheap way to do it. Caspian slide with site cuts, Barsto barrel, whatever sites you want that fit the cuts. Fit the barrel and slide to your frame and shoot.