PDA

View Full Version : IS MOSSBERG 930 SPX CA. LEGAL ?

DOUGJAMES
05-19-2009, 6:28 PM
Hello, I am fairly new here. I hope not to sound noobish but my question is, are any of the Mossberg 930 SPX's Semi Auto 12 guage californis legal? Also while i am at it are the saiga 12guage semi autos ca. legal as well. My friend id looking for a semi auto shotgun for a home defence gun.

Thanks,

DJ

ohsmily
05-19-2009, 6:30 PM
Why wouldn't the Mossberg be legal????

The Saiga 12 must have a magazine locking device on it because semiauto shotguns with detachable magazines are AWs in CA.

This has been covered many many times.

Capt Jack
05-19-2009, 7:07 PM
I think a few people on CGN have that shot gun. Its supposed to be a great gun. Oh, this is the handgun section, we have a whole section dedicated to shotguns :thumbsup:

Welcome to CGN anyways, I'm sure you will like the Mossy.

DOUGJAMES
05-19-2009, 9:32 PM
Well thank you, I thought it would be but you know how california is. I am thinking of purchasing one for myself also. Currently I have a Winchester 1300Defender for the zombies if the shtf...

Why wouldn't the Mossberg be legal????

The Saiga 12 must have a magazine locking device on it because semiauto shotguns with detachable magazines are AWs in CA.

This has been covered many many times.

Shane916
05-19-2009, 11:31 PM
I'd advise against a semi shotgun for home defense, but if he or she is convinced then it would be a wise investment to save for a Benelli.

jinggoyd1967
05-20-2009, 1:29 PM
I'd advise against a semi shotgun for home defense, but if he or she is convinced then it would be a wise investment to save for a Benelli.

Why do you advise against an auto-loader for home defense?

maxicon
05-20-2009, 3:38 PM
Yeah, the things that matter most for HD are reliability and capacity. You wouldn't choose an unreliable pump over a semi you had put thousands of trouble-free rounds through, would you?

I'm a fan of semi-autos for defense guns, as there's less to go wrong in the heat of the moment. I also prefer them for fun shooting, due to the light recoil, but I'm recoil sensitive. I don't take my pumps out so much since getting a couple of semi-autos.

A defense-configured pump is generally cheaper than a defense-configured semi, though, and there are more options available.

Either is reliable if you've put enough rounds of your preferred defense ammo through it to work out any issues, and ease of clearing jams depends on the individual shotgun design more than the general style.

A pump is dependent on your working the action correctly, and if you're in a physically tight spot or your weak arm hits something during pumping, you can have a short-stroke. Pumps can only be worked 2 handed, barring Hollywood techniques.

A semi-auto is point-and-shoot, and can be fired one-handed if something's wrong with your other hand, though there's an increased risk of jams there with inertia-operated guns. There's a potential reliability difference in such a situation between inertia- and gas-operated models, so it takes a bit of research. Again, practice makes perfect.

If cost is a factor, it's hard to beat a pump.

For simplicity of use, it's hard to beat a semi.

Either way, you need to practice regularly and put hundreds of rounds of your chosen defense load through the gun to make sure it's going to work well and your muscle memory is dialed in.

Somebody's sure to say something about the clack-clack of the pump making intruders mess their pants and run away, but you could get the same effect with a recording...

Ishoot
05-20-2009, 4:48 PM
Yeah, the things that matter most for HD are reliability and capacity. You wouldn't choose an unreliable pump over a semi you had put thousands of trouble-free rounds through, would you?

I'm a fan of semi-autos for defense guns, as there's less to go wrong in the heat of the moment. I also prefer them for fun shooting, due to the light recoil, but I'm recoil sensitive. I don't take my pumps out so much since getting a couple of semi-autos.

A defense-configured pump is generally cheaper than a defense-configured semi, though, and there are more options available.

Either is reliable if you've put enough rounds of your preferred defense ammo through it to work out any issues, and ease of clearing jams depends on the individual shotgun design more than the general style.

A pump is dependent on your working the action correctly, and if you're in a physically tight spot or your weak arm hits something during pumping, you can have a short-stroke. Pumps can only be worked 2 handed, barring Hollywood techniques.

A semi-auto is point-and-shoot, and can be fired one-handed if something's wrong with your other hand, though there's an increased risk of jams there with inertia-operated guns. There's a potential reliability difference in such a situation between inertia- and gas-operated models, so it takes a bit of research. Again, practice makes perfect.

If cost is a factor, it's hard to beat a pump.

For simplicity of use, it's hard to beat a semi.

Either way, you need to practice regularly and put hundreds of rounds of your chosen defense load through the gun to make sure it's going to work well and your muscle memory is dialed in.

Somebody's sure to say something about the clack-clack of the pump making intruders mess their pants and run away, but you could get the same effect with a recording...

I feel the opposite. Sure with enough practice, even a muzzle loader can be fast and simple to use. :rolleyes: But for the non trained public..i.e wife and/or older kids..the pump shotgun is much more simple to load and clear than an autoloader. More moving parts in a semi that can get jammed or malfunction. Not arguing that practice makes perfect, just chiming in my 2 cents. :thumbsup: