PDA

View Full Version : questions on importing a FAL

harmoniums
05-19-2009, 1:13 PM
I'm trying to import a FN FAL (actually an austrian STG56) with a grenade launcher screwed on the muzzle.
The seller is unwilling to replace with a muzzle break and tack weld it in place, too much trouble for him
If he ships the Upper to my FFL as is and the lower to me, can I DROS the upper and remove the grenade launching attachment and disable the mag release and then reassemble and be legal?

ohsmily
05-19-2009, 1:20 PM
Why would the muzzle brake need to be tack welded on? He can just remove the offending muzzle device and leave it off or simple screw the brake on.

Frijolito1988
05-19-2009, 1:21 PM
Why would the muzzle brake need to be tack welded on? He can just remove the offending muzzle device and leave it off or simple screw the brake on.

+1 , yup what he said., unless its a super SBR upper which needs to meet 16''

harmoniums
05-19-2009, 1:23 PM
I was under the impression that a threaded barrel was illegal
So if a new brake was welded on it would cover permanently said offending threads

dfletcher
05-19-2009, 1:28 PM
A threaded barrel on a rifle is not illegal - just have him unscrew the GL. While I would not think it unreasonable for a seller to decline the welding bit I think simply unscrewing the thing is reasonable. I suppose letting him keep it(and sell it I presume) would be a nice way of compensating him for the extra effort.

We're of course presuming the bbl length is +16 without any device welded on.

harmoniums
05-19-2009, 1:31 PM
yep its longer than 16 inches w/o the muzzle device

GSequoia
05-19-2009, 1:34 PM

You're thinking pistols.

Rifles can be threaded all you want and you're good to go, the only issue there is some FFLs may not know that (*cough* *cough* Turners). If your FFL is willing to transfer a FAL then I'm sure your FFL will know that the threads are perfectly legal.

My Yugo 59/66 has an inch of threads on the muzzle where the launcher used to be.

ohsmily
05-19-2009, 2:06 PM
So if a new brake was welded on it would cover permanently said offending threads

You have been here a year and you are under the impression that a threaded barrel is illegal? What gave you that impression in your time here at Calguns? Do you have a link? Threaded barrels are NOT evil features on rifles.

Futurecollector
05-19-2009, 2:30 PM
You have been here a year and you are under the impression that a threaded barrel is illegal? What gave you that impression in your time here at Calguns? Do you have a link? Threaded barrels are NOT evil features on rifles.

Smack down:hide:

harmoniums
05-19-2009, 2:37 PM

thanks for your input.

bwiese
05-19-2009, 2:57 PM
I'm trying to import a FN FAL (actually an austrian STG56) with a grenade launcher screwed on the muzzle.
The seller is unwilling to replace with a muzzle break and tack weld it in place, too much trouble for him
If he ships the Upper to my FFL as is and the lower to me, can I DROS the upper and remove the grenade launching attachment and disable the mag release and then reassemble and be legal?

If barrel is at least 16" long, the muzzle device is very likely NOT pinned & welded,
unless this were assembled/imported during the 1994-2004 Fed AWB timespan
[when a threaded bbl was illegal on a 'postban' semiauto rifle; this former Federal
prohibition is no longer extant, since the Fed AB 'sunset' in Sept. 2004.]

California has no ban on threaded barrels on rifles.

Do NOT import the upper with a Grenade Launcher in place. True G/Ls (like those
on the Zastava M59/66 carbine, colloquially termed "Yugo SKS") are considered
'destructive devices' in California and should not even be possessed *separately*,
as they are intrinsically illegal even when not on rifle.

Do you mean "STG58" instead (and not "...56")? I'm wondering if the regular Steyr
STG58 muzzle device is indeed even considered a G/L.

Bladewurk
05-19-2009, 4:37 PM
this is one of those items that can be debated but I don't think has been tested,...

The STG58 can fire standard 1960's NATO rifle grenades (22mm?) just like the Imbel Combo device and Belgian Combo device and many Black rifles out there but people have them all the time ..its not a dedicated launcher ..
You can remove the spring clip that holds the grenade tensioned and say its no longer capable..

I built my first STG58FAL in 2002 and went with an FSE Brake that looks like a Combo device but is slightly larger diameter so grenades won't fit and I even had it soldered..you can still find the STOLL type Fake devices if you want one. Heavy though..

I wouldn't worry about having one on without the clip as long as I didn't have any Rifle grenades!

YMMV blah blah blah...
The cut in an M4 barrel is a grenade launcher mount also...:sleeping: