PDA

View Full Version : Update On My BCM Mid-Length (If Anyone Remembers)

Mark One
05-19-2009, 12:10 PM
So about a month ago I sent my BCM Mid-Length upper back to BCM for inspection after a out of spec CMT charging handle, which was also purchased from them, caused some excessive wear. Here is a link to the old thread http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=173442 I am giving BCM a break with the time scale and the delays in emails because of the panic buying craze. I will say that when my emails were answered they were very professional and apologized about not getting back to me sooner.

Anyways, yesterday I got a phone call from a guy at BCM saying that he has my upper in front of him and that everything checks out dimensionally. Meaning that the charging handle didn't take off enough metal to make a difference. I was expecting to just get a email and have them saying that everything checks out and that its being shipped back so the phone call was a nice bonus. The guy on the phone was very professional and spent some time talking to me about my upper and how everything is fine even though the charging handle scratched the hell out of my upper. He then said that he is sending my upper back with a new BCM charging handle so the wear should stop.

So after a month my BCM upper is back on its way home and its bringing with it a new charging handle and my upper only has 200 rounds through it but I can basically say it has 2000 do to CMT's ****ty quality control.

I am going to go purchase my own caliper to make sure the charging handle didn't take any metal off. I was wondering; does anyone here have the dimensions for the inside of their BCM Mid-Length upper?

RECCE556
05-19-2009, 12:22 PM
Read my sig.... ;)

Good to hear that you're getting your upper back at least...

Richie Caketown
05-19-2009, 12:34 PM
^i hate your sig

i bought a stag :(

Jicko
05-19-2009, 1:01 PM
There is the Stag, CMT, DPMS, Bushmaster crowd.... and then there is the Colt, Noveske, LMT crowd....

:43:

Mark One
05-19-2009, 1:36 PM
Well I am staying far away from any CMT product now and I will advise everyone else to do the same...

Barney Gumble
05-19-2009, 1:59 PM
Come on.

No manufacturer puts out 100% perfect product all the time. One bad charging handle and you're ready to boycott them? Do you have some evidence that they have a systemic problem of out-of-spec parts?

This reminds me of the myth that Springfield Armory M1A receivers are liable to break because they're cast instead of forged. Lots of internet angst about it but no real-world evidence.

cheese
05-19-2009, 2:06 PM
I had the same thing happen with an out of spec charging handle. It looked as you described but i didnt see a reason to send it back...

RECCE556
05-19-2009, 2:18 PM
Come on.

No manufacturer puts out 100% perfect product all the time. One bad charging handle and you're ready to boycott them? Do you have some evidence that they have a systemic problem of out-of-spec parts?

This reminds me of the myth that Springfield Armory M1A receivers are liable to break because they're cast instead of forged. Lots of internet angst about it but no real-world evidence.
Well I've seen more than enough of out-spec and incorrectly assembled STAG components/parts/builds. Sure, it's not 100% but it's more than enough for me not to trust their parts.

Mark One
05-19-2009, 2:18 PM
Lots of internet angst about it but no real-world evidence.

I do have real-world evidence. I have a Upper that has excessive wear and the guy from BCM stating that the CMT charging handle was "crap".

I had the same thing happen with an out of spec charging handle. It looked as you described but i didnt see a reason to send it back...

I sent it back because it was a new upper which should not have that much wear on it. I was also advised from a few people here and on ARFcom that the upper should be sent back. I figured at the time that it wouldn't hurt anything and that I would have it back in a couple of weeks.

RECCE556
05-19-2009, 2:30 PM
.... and then there is the Colt, Noveske, LMT crowd....
:43:Damn elitists pigs!.....oh, wait...

Ducman
05-19-2009, 2:34 PM
Damn elitists pigs!.....oh, wait...
you forgot the pony :43:

Barney Gumble
05-19-2009, 10:53 PM
I sent it back because it was a new upper which should not have that much wear on it. I was also advised from a few people here and on ARFcom that the upper should be sent back. I figured at the time that it wouldn't hurt anything and that I would have it back in a couple of weeks.
Just out of curiosity, how much wear on that part of the upper is allowable before it affects function? I'm not trying to be a smartass, I don't know the answer myself and would like to know.

xm177
05-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Chalk another one up for Bravo Co. They are the sh*t.

Blacktail 8541
05-20-2009, 8:41 AM
Chalk another one up for Bravo Co. They are the sh*t.

Untill the first time they screw up, then the internet crowd will be all over them. :rolleyes:

Futurecollector
05-20-2009, 8:55 AM
There is the Stag, CMT, DPMS, Bushmaster crowd.... and then there is the Colt, Noveske, LMT crowd....

:43:

Hey whats wrong with Bushmaster!?!?!?!?

Futurecollector
05-20-2009, 8:56 AM
Well I am staying far away from any CMT product now and I will advise everyone else to do the same...

When did CMT (Country Music Televison) start making AR parts :confused:

!@#$
05-20-2009, 10:34 AM
don't forget noveske upper recievers,bcg,CH,lowers,LPK,and reciever extensions are just regular CMT made "junk". :thumbsup:

RECCE556
05-20-2009, 5:38 PM
don't forget noveske upper recievers,bcg,CH,lowers,LPK,and reciever extensions are just regular CMT made "junk". :thumbsup:YUP, that's why I only use their barrels. :thumbsup:

B Strong
05-20-2009, 5:52 PM
Come on.

I witnessed a SA M1A that fired out of battery.

Shattered the stock, broke it off at the wrist, blew the mag out, stuck the bolt to the rear.

The receiver wasn't craked or shattered, I don't think it was sprung out of shape, just based on mt MK 1 eyeball.

SA replaced the rifle no questions asked, with an upgraded NM model.

Nessal
05-20-2009, 5:56 PM
I doubt the CH took off enough material to affect the fuction AT ALL. It will remove material sooner or later, if you are planning to keep your rifle for any amounnt of time, I don't think it's a big deal.

Juicymeat
05-20-2009, 6:11 PM
When did CMT (Country Music Televison) start making AR parts :confused:

If you're not joking, CMT = Continental Machine & Tool

MarkOne, what dimensions do you need?

ETA: my upper (BCM 16" midlength) is 0.410" wide x 0.312" high (measurements taken at the opening where the CH slides into the upper) and the CMT charging handle I have is 0.406" wide x 0.296" high. The notched (widest) portion of the CH measures in at 0.486" but I can't compare it with the dimensions of the rails the notches ride in on the inside of the upper because my calipers can't reach into that recessed area.

Trendkill
05-20-2009, 7:03 PM
BCM has bolts marked CM.....just FYI....for anyone who doesnt like CMT stuff.

xm177
05-20-2009, 7:12 PM
Untill the first time they screw up, then the internet crowd will be all over them. :rolleyes: Too true...rabid dogs.:chris: