PDA

View Full Version : high cap mags in an AR is illegal?

neomentat
05-19-2009, 10:19 AM
I thought I knew all about the CA AW law, but recently in my research I've come across some conflicting info.

So here's the scenario, legal high cap mags in a fixed mag or bullet button, Radlock AK/AR/FAL/G3 whatever the rifle is with a pistol grip. Is this configuration legal?

I've read conflicing views on tihs, some say if the mag is fixed then the legal high cap mags can be used.

Other say even if the mag is fixed, by using a mag that holds more than 10rounds in combination with pistol grip or other "evil features" will render the rifle illegal.

What gives? Which is it? Can I use a legal high cap mag in an AR/AK with a mag lock or no?

skkeeter
05-19-2009, 10:22 AM
No you CAN'T. Please don't put any mag that can hold more than ten rounds in your AR/AK. The only way you can use your Hi cap mage is on a featureless rifle.

QuarterBoreGunner
05-19-2009, 10:28 AM
Or a pre-ban reg'd aw.

Some one should put together some sort of chart... perhaps a flow chart maybe... hint hint.

elSquid
05-19-2009, 10:29 AM
http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12275.php

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following: (1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following: (A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon. (B) A thumbhole stock. (C) A folding or telescoping stock. (D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher. (E) A flash suppressor. (F) A forward pistol grip. (2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds. (3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

-- Michael

Jpach
05-19-2009, 10:32 AM
With no evil features and no mag lock, hi-caps may be used. With a Mag lock (with or without evil features), hi-caps may not be used

DB2
05-19-2009, 10:35 AM
I thought I knew all about the CA AW law, but recently in my research I've come across some conflicting info.

So here's the scenario, legal high cap mags in a fixed mag or bullet button, Radlock AK/AR/FAL/G3 whatever the rifle is with a pistol grip. Is this configuration legal?

I've read conflicing views on tihs, some say if the mag is fixed then the legal high cap mags can be used.

Other say even if the mag is fixed, by using a mag that holds more than 10rounds in combination with pistol grip or other "evil features" will render the rifle illegal.

What gives? Which is it? Can I use a legal high cap mag in an AR/AK with a mag lock or no?

Conflicting info? NO HIGH CAPACITY MAG in a fixed mag rifle. Even if you have a featureless rifle with monsterman grip, if you put a magazine lock on it it still has to be 10 rounds. Featureless with no lock you can use "high" capacity mags. If the mag is locked it MUST be 10 rounds or less.

This is for centerfire rifles. Rimfire does not apply. Although you must have legal high cap rimfire to use.

neomentat
05-19-2009, 10:37 AM
thanks for the info guys, good thing I didn't stick my 30 rounders in my monsterman-grip AK at the range lol.

DB2
05-19-2009, 10:39 AM
thanks for the info guys, good thing I didn't stick my 30 rounders in my monsterman-grip AK at the range lol.

That would be legal. What is the confusion? Do you have a magazine lock on it with a monsterman?

Teletiger7
05-19-2009, 10:40 AM

Is it featureless?

Jicko
05-19-2009, 10:41 AM

You DARE to say this? Go read 12276.1 (a) (2).... and come report back!

aermotor
05-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Anything with a BB/Maglock can ONLY use 10 round cap mags.

Hi-cap mags can be used on featureless guns only if mags were owned before 2000 (pre-ban) - OR - on a registered AW.

Futurecollector
05-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Yeah man, aslong as no evil feats. and no mag lock your legal 30rder mag is legal with a MMG

Futurecollector
05-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Is it featureless?

To have only a MMG and a standard mag release it has to be featurless.

neomentat
05-19-2009, 10:43 AM
That would be legal. What is the confusion? Do you have a magazine lock on it with a monsterman?

No the monsterman doesn't have a mag lock. But I am thinking of getting a PTR 91 with mag lock and I have a grip of mags for it.

Another question is if I use a Monsterman-grip AK with legal high caps, do I need to comply with 922(r)???

QuarterBoreGunner
05-19-2009, 10:43 AM
We need a face palm smiley.

aermotor
05-19-2009, 10:44 AM

I believe this is only legal if they are pre-ban mags, I don't think you can buy new 30 round mags and use them no matter what in the state of CA. Not 100% sure but I have read that in other threads.

Jicko
05-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Anything with a BB/Maglock can ONLY use 10 round cap mags.

+1

As stupid as it sound, EVEN if your rifle is a featureless, but you have a non-detachable magazine..... you STILL have to stick with 10 or less rounds magazines.

DB2
05-19-2009, 10:46 AM
No the monsterman doesn't have a mag lock. But I am thinking of getting a PTR 91 with mag lock and I have a grip of mags for it.

Another question is if I use a Monsterman-grip AK with legal high caps, do I need to comply with 922(r)???

It's an AK. It should already be 922r compliant, when it was built. 6 US parts had better be there somewhere.

neomentat
05-19-2009, 10:47 AM
It's an AK. It should already be 922r compliant, when it was built. 6 US parts had better be there somewhere.

So the Century AKs should be good to go with legal high caps if I stick a MM Grip on it right?

Futurecollector
05-19-2009, 10:48 AM
I believe this is only legal if they are pre-ban mags, I don't think you can buy new 30 round mags and use them no matter what in the state of CA. Not 100% sure but I have read that in other threads.

It does sound weird but think about SKS in that regard, they make 20Rd mags for them but if you where to swap out your 10rd Fixed for the 20Rd fixed, even if you had it before the ban your still in Shizzz

Futurecollector
05-19-2009, 10:48 AM
So the Century AKs should be good to go with legal high caps if I stick a MM Grip on it right?

YES, you are fine, No evil features, and a MMG, you can use Hi caps.

DB2
05-19-2009, 10:49 AM

Yeah your GTG.:thumbsup:

neomentat
05-19-2009, 10:50 AM
thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate it

Semperpluris
05-20-2009, 12:37 AM
Or a pre-ban reg'd aw.:

Since there's no longer a Federal Ban is there reason why you need to specify pre-ban. Is it correct that you can use Hi-caps on AR manufactured after 1994 provided you registered it as an AW in 1999/2000?

Nessal
05-20-2009, 12:46 AM

Actually I could have sworn that it's not legal UNLESS it's a preban mag.

glockwise2000
05-20-2009, 12:53 AM
No you CAN'T. Please don't put any mag that can hold more than ten rounds in your AR/AK. The only way you can use your Hi cap mage is on a featureless rifle.

Or if you own an RAW.

ke6guj
05-20-2009, 12:53 AM
Actually I could have sworn that it's not legal UNLESS it's a preban mag.

It would be legal to use any large-capacity detachable mag on a featureless rifle. The fact that a crime may have been committed in the acquistion of the magazine does not now make it illegal to use that magazine in the firearm. Or, if I was out shooting with LE-buddies, I could legally use their legally obtained "post-ban" large-capacity detachable mags in a featureless rifle.

QuarterBoreGunner
05-20-2009, 8:45 AM
Is it correct that you can use Hi-caps on AR manufactured after 1994 provided you registered it as an AW in 1999/2000? Correct. 100% good to go with your huge pile of previously owned standard capacity magazines, that you lawfully acquired pre-2000. Go koo koo nuts!

Example: I have a pre-ban (post 94 - pre 2000) Colt Sporter; I registered it with the Cali DOJ in late 99. I also have a pile of pre 94 manufactured 30 round magazines that I purchased pre 2000. Let's put these two crazy kids together and it's all good to go.

Blacktail 8541
05-20-2009, 9:46 AM

:banghead: NO, A mag with a capacity of greater than ten rounds may not be used in a fixed mag build.

Futurecollector
05-20-2009, 9:53 AM
We need a face palm smiley.

this will do for the time being.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj297/frijolito1988/FUNNY/facepalm.jpg

tgriffin
05-20-2009, 10:33 AM
Neo I'm shocked! You've been here as long as I have and should know better by now. Ok who jacked Neo's account?

gn3hz3ku1*
05-20-2009, 10:40 AM

huh? i thought i told you that was legal.. didnt we talk about this a few months ago?

gn3hz3ku1*
05-20-2009, 10:42 AM

wait when you get an AK? you got rid of your saiga for an century? WTF

Fate
05-20-2009, 10:59 AM
wait when you get an AK? you got rid of your saiga for an century? WTF
Where's the FAIL pic? LOL

neomentat
05-20-2009, 1:24 PM
Neo I'm shocked! You've been here as long as I have and should know better by now. Ok who jacked Neo's account?

lol sorry for the brain fart moment, I think I've been spending too much time in the handgun section and the for sale section.

phamkl
05-20-2009, 2:17 PM
So... a 20 round mag OK for an M1A?

Assuming that one can get a hold of them legally or had them lying around from before or picked one up that was forgotten out in Barstowe or something?

I hope all these laws go away... no matter how many times I try to read them, I can never fully grasp what is and isn't legal.

ke6guj
05-20-2009, 2:21 PM
So... a 20 round mag OK for an M1A?
Yes, as long as the M1A is either a registered AW or in a featureless configuration. If it had a mag-lock, then it would not be OK.

TwitchALot
05-20-2009, 2:23 PM
YES, you are fine, No evil features, and a MMG, you can use Hi caps.

The key is "fixed-magazine." If you have no evil features (ie. MMG) but you still have the BB on, you CANNOT use "high-capacity" magazines.