PDA

View Full Version : M1A Scout Scope Rings?

HK Dave
05-19-2009, 8:52 AM
Hey guys, tried to do a search on this and couldn't find anything... or I just don't know how the search option works...

I picked up a Leupold FX II 2.5x28mm Scout Scope for my M1A Scout...

Wondering if anyone had any suggestions for rings to mount it.

I've heard something about Leupold QRW... any experiences with them? Get the low, medium, high?

Thanks!

MasterYong
05-19-2009, 10:24 AM
I have the same rifle and the same scope, and I use either these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=516703

or these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=345532

Both work well, I can't tell the difference between the two. The only issue I've run into is cheek weld. With low rings you get a weird 1/3 co-witness that is pretty much unusable, and with the mediums the scope is too high for a cheek weld. Get a cheek riser of some kind and you'll be good to go! :thumbsup:

Barney Gumble
05-19-2009, 11:32 AM
I don't like the Leupold QRW rings because they scratch the scope tube.

Not sure why you need quick release rings on an M1A. Personally I like regular rings on an M1A, I lean towards Badger and Seekins.

MasterYong
05-19-2009, 11:36 AM
I went with the quick release because I like to take the scope off regularly to use iron sights and it's just easier for me.

The scope tube does not get scratched by the levers. I'm not sure what scope you used when you had that problem, but it's a non-issue here. Just put the levers on the left side so they don't contact the knobs on the scope and you're good to go!

vantage
05-19-2009, 12:16 PM
I agree with MasterYong, I've got the Leupold QRW on my Scout and love it. I shoot iron sights a lot, but out to 300 yards it's nice to be able to put a bit of magnification on. No scratches on my scope (from the rings at least).

Barney Gumble
05-19-2009, 2:15 PM
I went with the quick release because I like to take the scope off regularly to use iron sights and it's just easier for me.
I missed that this was for a Scout...so yes QR is nice for that situation. I would go with ARMS though, for the reason below.

The scope tube does not get scratched by the levers. I'm not sure what scope you used when you had that problem, but it's a non-issue here. Just put the levers on the left side so they don't contact the knobs on the scope and you're good to go!

Did I say the levers scratched the tube? No. I said the rings scratch the tube. The top ring goes more than halfway around and when you install it, it's a snap fit and it rubs the tube enough to leave marks. Doesn't affect the function at all but when you go to sell it some folks don't like ring marks.

MasterYong
05-19-2009, 2:35 PM
I missed that this was for a Scout...so yes QR is nice for that situation. I would go with ARMS though, for the reason below.

Did I say the levers scratched the tube? No. I said the rings scratch the tube. The top ring goes more than halfway around and when you install it, it's a snap fit and it rubs the tube enough to leave marks. Doesn't affect the function at all but when you go to sell it some folks don't like ring marks.

Sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of the crib this morning. Sorry if I misunderstood you. Either way, I always use the tape that comes with the rings (or at least all the rings I've purchased so far) so that it doesn't scratch the scope. I guess you never use any of your rifles? I can't even avoid scratches at the range, let alone in the wilderness.....

Additionally, anyone that whines about tiny scratches on a USED scope when they're considering it for purchase has serious issues. It's used. Want it in mint condition? Buy it new.

HK Dave
05-19-2009, 2:53 PM
Medium Leupold QRW rings it is... thanks guys!

Any suggestions on a cheek riser for the m1a scout? :D

MasterYong
05-19-2009, 2:57 PM

I haven't got around to that yet, myself. It's one of those products that I don't really want to order online only to find that it doesn't fit or I don't like it for some reason, and I can't find a decent on in any of the local shops.

You're definitely going to need it though- the only way I can get a steady sight picture using my VX-II is when bench shooting. That's one of the reasons I like the quick release rings is I often take off the scope to use iron sights when I'm not at the range. Maybe if you have REALLY big cheeks you wont need it :p or if you stuff your mouth full of acorns like a squirrel!!! :smilielol5:

HK Dave
05-19-2009, 3:09 PM
Hmm... stuffing my mouth full of acorns sounds like the perfect cheekweld... will try that for now until i can find another way. :D

Barney Gumble
05-19-2009, 4:07 PM
Sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of the crib this morning.
Not really but thanks for asking. :D

Sorry if I misunderstood you. Either way, I always use the tape that comes with the rings (or at least all the rings I've purchased so far) so that it doesn't scratch the scope. I guess you never use any of your rifles? I can't even avoid scratches at the range, let alone in the wilderness.....
Yes I use them but I do protect my scopes from hard knocks.

Additionally, anyone that whines about tiny scratches on a USED scope when they're considering it for purchase has serious issues. It's used. Want it in mint condition? Buy it new.
I'm more or less with you. I don't believe in pretty rifles either. It's the same as people whining about the logo on their lower. But if you've tried to sell a scope the reality is that a lot of buyers do care. They tend to see it as an indicator for wear and tear. If a scope is pristine they tend to believe that you've taken better care of it.

Here are a few:
- http://www.m1acheekpad.com - I lot of folks like this one
- Springfield Armory has one with different sizes of foam so you can adjust it yourself, it's on their website
- You can use the Eagle cheekpad and stuff some additional foam under it to your desired height

maxicon
05-20-2009, 8:28 AM
I like QRW rings - they're my favorite of the less expensive QR rings, but I haven't tried the Burris.

They are more likely to scratch or scuff the tube, due to the design, and they don't come with tape (at least, none of the ones I've bought). Tape wouldn't help this problem, anyway, as it's not the ring surface, but the edge of the ring half that scratches or scuffs.

As Barney Grumble says, they're not split down the middle, but at about 1/3, so they snap onto the scope, and they will scratch or scuff sometimes, depending on the scope finish. Some people care a lot about this, and others don't. Leupold does this so the scope won't rotate as you tighten down the rings.

Warne Maxima QD are also good, and are split vertically, but the recoil lug is a separate piece on them, and it tends to fall out when you're mounting the ring on the scope - I've found one sitting on the bench many times when swapping rings. If you don't change or adjust your rings often, this won't matter.

I'm a fan of scratched or dinged scopes, as I buy most of my scopes used. Not only do people discount scratched ones a lot more, but there's not nearly as much competition for them. There are lots of people out there who baby their scopes, though, and it's easy to find mint, used scopes.

MasterYong
05-20-2009, 10:58 AM
I like QRW rings - they're my favorite of the less expensive QR rings, but I haven't tried the Burris.

They are more likely to scratch or scuff the tube, due to the design, and they don't come with tape (at least, none of the ones I've bought). Tape wouldn't help this problem, anyway, as it's not the ring surface, but the edge of the ring half that scratches or scuffs.

As Barney Grumble says, they're not split down the middle, but at about 1/3, so they snap onto the scope, and they will scratch or scuff sometimes, depending on the scope finish. Some people care a lot about this, and others don't. Leupold does this so the scope won't rotate as you tighten down the rings.

Warne Maxima QD are also good, and are split vertically, but the recoil lug is a separate piece on them, and it tends to fall out when you're mounting the ring on the scope - I've found one sitting on the bench many times when swapping rings. If you don't change or adjust your rings often, this won't matter.

I'm a fan of scratched or dinged scopes, as I buy most of my scopes used. Not only do people discount scratched ones a lot more, but there's not nearly as much competition for them. There are lots of people out there who baby their scopes, though, and it's easy to find mint, used scopes.

The Burris ones, as best as I can tell, are split right down the middle. They might be a little off center, but they definitely don't snap on to the scope- they'll fall right off if the screws aren't tightened down. The Leupold ones might not be, I can't recall because I don't use them as much but if Barney has experienced that issue then I believe him. If you're worried about the scratches, try the Burris ones- they're fairly inexpensive as rings go, and they haven't scratched by scope at all.