PDA

View Full Version : Can I send my Sister a gun in KY?

sammy
05-19-2009, 7:52 AM
My sister has just got a restraning order against her ex-husband living in KY. He has threanted her life on more than one occasion and is very unstable. I called a gun store in Louisville and they said I can send it straight on to her. Does that sound right? I am going to send it to her today if I can get this figured out. Thanks Sammy

paul0660
05-19-2009, 8:22 AM
It has to go to an FFL because it is crossing state lines. The only exception to that would be an antique, more than 100 years old. A C&R gun could go to a 03 FFL, anything else has to go to a 01 FFL. See if the gun store can accept it and then do an instant backround check on her so it is in her name. You can't do a family transfer to a sibling, unfortunately.

bigcalidave
05-19-2009, 4:19 PM
Don't ask gun stores for advice! Ask a lawyer!

AfricanHunter
05-19-2009, 5:01 PM
I think cosmoline or another grease/oil designed for firearms would be preferable to KY......

Seriously though. Pretty sure it needs to go through an FFL.

Sobriquet
05-19-2009, 5:03 PM
I think cosmoline or another grease/oil designed for firearms would be preferable to KY......

Damn, someone beat me to it. Well played, sir.

springy101
05-19-2009, 5:08 PM
Would he be able to transfer it to his dad and then have him send it straight to her as an intra-familial transer? Or is that much more complicated than just sending it to her FFL.

ke6guj
05-19-2009, 6:07 PM
no.

There is no intrafamily exemption to the need to use an FFL to faciilate a transfer of a firearm across state lines between two non-licensees.

jasilva
05-19-2009, 9:43 PM
no.

There is no intrafamily exemption to the need to use an FFL to faciilate a transfer of a firearm across state lines between two non-licensees.

But most other states don't have the F'd up waiting period that CA has so she should be able to go right into the dealer's shop and pick it up.

Quiet
05-20-2009, 4:01 AM
But most other states don't have the F'd up waiting period that CA has so she should be able to go right into the dealer's shop and pick it up.

Agreed.

KY does not have a waiting period and is a shall issue CCW state.
She could go to a gun store and buy a handgun in under an hour.
After which she can apply for a CCW permit.

Glock22Fan
05-20-2009, 9:17 AM
Is the O.P planning a transfer or a short term loan?

Kid Stanislaus
05-20-2009, 12:29 PM

RIGHT!!:eek:

yellowfin
05-20-2009, 2:14 PM
Agreed, get her to buy something there and get a holster and apply for CCW. She might be able to OC while waiting on the permit.

sammy
05-20-2009, 3:22 PM
Is the O.P planning a transfer or a short term loan?

This is a gift. Thanks everyone, I sent her my Smith 638 to an ffl willing to do the transfer. Amazing, I called 3 places that said "we don't do business with the peoples republic of california" On my 4th different shop I first pleaded my case about my Sister needing it for immediate protection. After the sob story no other questions asked. I also sent her 400 rounds of practice and 40 of .38 +p short barrel HP's. Funny, I am her younger brother by 10 years and I am giving her advise now. She has signed up for a shooting class and her 8 hour CCW class.

sammy
05-20-2009, 3:29 PM

Seriously though. Pretty sure it needs to go through an FFL.

I am slow. KY, that is pretty funny right there. I am a astro-glide man myself. Too much effort getting the woman worked up these days. A man needs his sleep.

Kid Stanislaus
05-20-2009, 6:24 PM
Too much effort getting the woman worked up these days. A man needs his sleep.

AH! A man who can talk sensibly!!