PDA

View Full Version : Replaced A2 stock with carbine stock...

jumbopanda
05-19-2009, 12:06 AM
I've had an A2 stock on my AR for a while, but just replaced it with a LMT SOPMOD stock on a Vltor tube. The carbine buffer and spring came out of an old Tapco stock I bought a long time ago but never really used. I noticed that it is now a LOT harder to pull back the charging handle, and it makes a very unpleasant grinding noise as I do so. Adding more oil barely made a difference.

I even tried putting the longer rifle spring in the carbine tube, and although it is too long to allow the bolt to travel all the way back, it still provides less resistance than the carbine spring and seems a bit smoother.

Is it normal for carbine buffer assemblies to feel and sound a lot rougher than A2 assemblies?

Tweak338
05-19-2009, 12:42 AM
Tapco..
Try a different carbine spring.
It should be just as smooth and easy to pull back as it was on your A2

r1ghtw1ng
05-19-2009, 7:58 AM
You might want to check the backing plate. Mine was a little too tall and would come in contact with the charging handle and feel like it was grinding metal on metal. A file and a few minutes of elbow grease did the trick.

rmasold
05-19-2009, 8:18 AM
You might want to check the backing plate. Mine was a little too tall and would come in contact with the charging handle and feel like it was grinding metal on metal. A file and a few minutes of elbow grease did the trick.

+1:thumbsup:

JTROKS
05-19-2009, 9:03 AM

Another +1.

Also check the overall fit of the tube. Does the threads fit squarely and snugly in the lower receiver? I had a problem with an M4 Stoner stock from Midway USA, the threads were small enough that the tube won't stay straight. The bolt would bind because the tube won't stay straight. After trying it on 4 different brands of receivers (Colt, DPMS, Stag and RRA) it was deemed out of spec.

jumbopanda
05-19-2009, 9:04 AM
Just checked and it's not touching at all. I just ordered a Sprinco replacement buffer spring, hopefully that will help.