PDA

View Full Version : AK barrel pin rant

Noobert
05-18-2009, 10:21 PM
This is absolutely bull... I finally got a press, and this romanian felt like it was welded on. after some serious flex in the press (20 ton), it banged loose, but seized right when its about to come out. I pumped hard, and it banged like a .45, and guess what, it left with such force, I can't find that little bastard anymore. andone think a drill bit shank will be a suitable replacement?

sergeantrex
05-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Spray a little WD-40 on it. That works fer me. DON'T force it you will wreck your parts kit!

Noobert
05-18-2009, 10:33 PM
damn, hindsight! I cant even find that pin after it was shot out by the press

scotthmt
05-18-2009, 11:16 PM
I believe people use drill shanks, dunno though, i've never lost the pin

Ford8N
05-19-2009, 5:08 AM
This is absolutely bull... I finally got a press, and this romanian felt like it was welded on. after some serious flex in the press (20 ton), it banged loose, but seized right when its about to come out. I pumped hard, and it banged like a .45, and guess what, it left with such force, I can't find that little bastard anymore. andone think a drill bit shank will be a suitable replacement?

Yes

nightthunder
05-19-2009, 5:35 AM
PM me, I one new extra one from AK-Builder.com I will donate to the cause that I will send to you.

bridgeport
05-19-2009, 5:54 AM
Noobert, meet learning curve. Next time try a little heat and a little lube
prior to cranking on it. Does not hurt to keep things lined up nice and straight
either. Penetrating oil is your friend. I dont even use a press, I use my vice
with a block of metal drilled to accept the pin coming out...never failed yet.

MrNiceGuy
05-19-2009, 9:06 AM
Yes, it you hear a "bang", it's a good thing, it means it's moving.
But a little heat and/or oil pre-soak will help it come out smoother with a smaller bang, most of the time.

You'd want to ice the barrel and heat the trunnion when pressing the barrel in, too much bang means it's going in maybe a 1/4'' at a time as oppose to going in smoothly.
Can be a problem lining up the barrel pin hole if it's not going down smooth.

Good on NightThunder for offering his extra AK Builder barrel pin, a generous gesture.

Noobert
05-19-2009, 3:09 PM
Thank you so very much NightThunder, PM sent. I assure you this pin will go a long way to support the cause!

dirtykoala
05-19-2009, 6:40 PM
i ordered my new barrel pin from cnc warrior for some super cheap amount

Solidsnake87
05-19-2009, 7:21 PM
lol. I used kroil and the buddy method with a sledghammer. The pin flew out of the trunion and across the room with such force that it shattered a glass jar full of pens. The thing barely missed the windshield on my dad's BMW. I learned to place a baggie around the pin side to catch it as it comes out.