View Full Version : refinished vaquero *updated pic*

05-18-2009, 5:54 PM
IMO, Ruger's "color-case" is a fail. I bought my new vaquero in this finish because of a great price. I figured I could always get it refinished down the road. To my disdain, the finish started losing it's color in 6 weeks. It was fired and cleaned (non-abrasive) and already needed a touch up. Rather than go through Ruger's C/S, I had a friend refinish for cheap. He's a gunsmith so I knew quality would be fine; I just got a coworker discount. The finish is moly resin and is similar to Tuff, Dura, and the like. The gun is a hunting sidearm, so beauty was in durability. The finish matches the stocks. Now I'm having a hard time deciding if I want custom ones. I figure a light color would contrast nicely... but I digress. This is my first picture post hope it works.
I'm also posting a Mossberg 500 in the shotgun forum.

07-30-2009, 7:39 AM
thats a NICE gun!

09-18-2009, 11:42 AM
More pics please.

05-22-2010, 10:26 PM
I know it's been a while, but here is a pic after 1000+ on the round count. Moly resin is still holding strong.

05-31-2010, 5:19 PM
Nice Ruger !

05-31-2010, 6:27 PM
a little cylinder lock wear, but looks like it is holding on. what is the scoop on the moly resin? looks good, and the price, without the discount. what would that be?

06-01-2010, 12:23 AM
If you're ever in south GA; let me know and I'll give you my buddy's number. As for the finish, johnnorrellarms.com can give you the price. I believe you can cure the finish in your oven. (But, don't quote me.) If you've ever finished a gun, you'll notice it's not that expensive.