PDA

View Full Version : To +p or not to +p

1Shewter
05-18-2009, 6:09 PM
So I'm wondering about how well my sig 220 will handle 230gr +p ammunition.

I don't want to do anything that will wear out the spring or guide rod too much.

Any CalGunners have experience with the big bang loads?

BTW. They are Cor-Bon 230gr +P.

Jonathan Doe
05-18-2009, 6:28 PM
I use Winchester SXT 45 Auto +P for my P220. No problem.

savasyn
05-18-2009, 6:29 PM
Sig220 is a tough gun, shouldn't be a problem, especially in moderate amounts. If that's all you ever planned on shooting out of it, you have more money than most!

Ishoot
05-18-2009, 6:39 PM
Great reliable guns. Just do it in moderation and you should be fine.

goathead
05-18-2009, 6:42 PM
always P+

Greg-Dawg
05-18-2009, 6:44 PM
What does the manual say?

1Shewter
05-18-2009, 6:56 PM
The manual doesnt state anything other than "Don't shoot non-factory ammunition" and that's mainly just for liability purposes.

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't plan on shooting nothing BUT +P but I am interested in getting a 1k+ FPS load into the chamber and seeing how it performs.

I know they're sturdy, the thing is built like a tank. My Main concern is just with the guide rod and recoil spring. I don't wanna be replacing parts constantly if I'm gonna be putting these hot loads through it.

Voo
05-18-2009, 7:52 PM
Springs are consummable. They do wear and you should expect to replace them. They're about 12 bucks for the OEM versions. The guide rod is not going to wear out. Where did you get the idea that this was going to happen?

On the classic P series of guns (alloy frames) the only thing that you have to be careful of, is rail wear. The frames are made of aluminum alloy that has been anodized. Over time the anodizing wears through at which point, shooting the gun starts to erode it- eventually wearing the gun out. If you're good about using grease, this will go a long ways in keeping your Sig healthy over the years.

I see no issue with you shooting +P ammo through it. If you end up 'killing' the gun after 50,000 rounds, I think you'll have gotten your moneys worth.

gunrun45
05-18-2009, 9:44 PM
I can tell you that my old PD issued Sig P220's for several (think 10-12) years. Our duty ammo was 230 grn LE +P hydroshock rounds. We fired PLENTY of that ammo and never had a single function issue with any of the guns before installing lazermax guide rods. The finishes were garbage though and rust was a DEFINATE issue...

Somehow I don't think an averate person could afford enough of the +P ammo, if you can find it, to wear out any major manufacturers gun these days. Ruger, Sig, Glock, H&K, S&W, etc... are really all built to withstand the heavier +P rounds with ease for all intents and purposes. Now if you are using it for competition you wouldn't be shooting +P self defense ammo anyway BUT you might wear one out with an extreme amount of use like Tod Jarret (sp?) level of shooting.

bluestaterebel
05-18-2009, 9:50 PM
+P +P !!

1Shewter
05-19-2009, 12:44 AM
Springs are consummable. They do wear and you should expect to replace them. They're about 12 bucks for the OEM versions. The guide rod is not going to wear out. Where did you get the idea that this was going to happen?

On the classic P series of guns (alloy frames) the only thing that you have to be careful of, is rail wear. The frames are made of aluminum alloy that has been anodized. Over time the anodizing wears through at which point, shooting the gun starts to erode it- eventually wearing the gun out. If you're good about using grease, this will go a long ways in keeping your Sig healthy over the years.

I see no issue with you shooting +P ammo through it. If you end up 'killing' the gun after 50,000 rounds, I think you'll have gotten your moneys worth.

Appreciate the info.

The guide rod info was from an unreliable source. I suspected it was bogus concern but you know how it goes, I would never pretend to know something if I wasnt 100% sure about it.

These are defence loads that I'm trying out, but performance pending I may be alternating them with standard plinking rounds. I've got 120 rounds of the defense loads ( I believe in practicing with the ammo you intend to USE) and by the time I'm done I should have no more than 24 left.

I've gotta say, the Cor-Bon look is appealing lol. "The Golden Bullet!"

B Strong
05-19-2009, 5:56 AM

I don't want to do anything that will wear out the spring or guide rod too much.

Any SIG is good to go with factory +P ammo.

Homerolled +p may be a different issue.

cineski
05-19-2009, 7:28 AM
What model 220? SIG has a beefed up takedown lever they redesigned for the 220 Combat. If you contact them, they should give you a new one. If you're shooting a steady diet of +P, you'll want to replace this part as it has a tendency of breaking with standard loads. Also, some SIG guys love using Brian Enos Slide Glide. There's different viscosities, and you may want to experiment, but there's a medium or thin. Medium may help keep the extra wear of +p rounds to a minimum.

Oh, another important issue of the 220, if you have one made in 1994 or after, it's rated for +p loads. Pre-1994 isn't. You can tell by looking at the recoil spring. There'll be some green paint on it.

1Shewter
05-19-2009, 1:29 PM
Yeah, I've got the green painted spring.

Thanks for the info on the takedown lever. And DEFINITELY thanks for the slide glide reference. I'll be picking some up.

I tend to baby all of my other guns, and my sig gets extra attention at the moment.

will227457
05-20-2009, 10:59 AM
youshould never shoot +p ammo in it....send it all to me I will dispose of it and save your gun from a pounding......

mjv
05-20-2009, 4:06 PM
I really never understood this dilemma. I mean you would only shoot +p on self defense loads, which you wouldn't use on the range normally other than to make sure your ammo feeds reliably in your pistol. So as long as you have a good running firearm, the +p would not be an issue.

jimrod
05-20-2009, 6:21 PM
+P ammo in volume with an alloy frame is usually not advised as rail wear occurs faster (stainless slide impacts rail harder w/ +P). +P ammo in volume with a stainless frame is generally OK. +P is more expensive and provides more recoil. It's up to you what you want to shoot.

Futurecollector
05-20-2009, 6:41 PM
Cool +P

karesel
09-30-2009, 8:55 PM
Has anyone used +P ammo with a Browning BDM. I spoke with Browning and they won't say it's ok to run it through the gun, but that might be for liability reasons so I wanted to find out if anyone has been doing it?
Thanks...

Snake eyes
09-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Sig P239 9mm here. Never had a problem with +P.

I've also shot +P+ ammo with no problem. Got the encouragement from an experienced shooter who's shot plenty of +P+ through his 239 with no ill effects. Though I was advised not to do this on a regular basis. Just enough to get the feel for it so it wouldn't be a surprise if I used it for self-defense.

Prolonged usage of +P and +P+ ammo might cause exccesive wear. I wouldn't reccommend shooting it on a regular basis. However, if your gun suffers wear as a result of shooting "hot loads" in a self-defense situation and you have to replace it or have it fixed I'd say it was worth it. I'd rather survive and have to replace my gun then die because I used a round that wasn't powerful enough for fear of damaging my gun.

randy
10-01-2009, 12:44 AM
If all you have to concern your self with is wearing out the recoil spring and guide rod you have no concerns. The spring is going to wear and the manual should have the spec on how many rounds before changing the spring. It doesn't care +P or not.

B Strong
10-01-2009, 6:27 AM

The SIG will handle +P w/o any problem, and you should plan on replacing the recoil spring every 1K-2K rounds in any case - the spring is a consumable.