PDA

View Full Version : Shipping handgun back to manufacturer laws

sigsr
05-18-2009, 5:03 PM
Is it legal to ship a handgun to it's manufacturer via FedEx or UPS for warranty work? Specifically from Sacramento, CA without a FFL licensee.

And am I legal to accept the package back from the manufacturer or will it have to go back to a FFL dealer?

I read the FedEx and UPS policies, but I'm not sure of our legal laws here regarding shipping a handgun.

Erik S. Klein
05-18-2009, 5:20 PM
You already own the gun so there is no need for an FFL or any transfer.

You can ship it and get it back without a hassle (assuming it's all legal stuff.)

I've done it.

ke6guj
05-18-2009, 5:22 PM
Yes, it is legal to send a firearm to any FFL to have worked on, not just the manufacturer. YOu do not need an FFL to ship or receive it, and do not need to use an FFL to the shipping.

You can ship a long gun via USPS, UPS, Fedex, etc, but for a handgun, you have to use a shipper other than USPS.

fairfaxjim
05-18-2009, 5:23 PM
You can ship it to the mfr. and the mfr. can ship directly back to you. You do have to send it overnight and take it to a UPS or Fedex service center, not a UPS store or Kinko's. The overnight requirement makes it terribly expensive.

jkasandiego
05-18-2009, 6:31 PM
I did this a couple of time. Sent two of my pistols (different manufacturer) for repair on the manufacturer's dime. Sent it through UPS and FED EX.

user5412
05-18-2009, 6:50 PM
Some carriers require overnight. If you have a relationship with an FFL, he can ship it with his license 2-3 day.

gucci pilot
05-18-2009, 7:24 PM
Is it legal to ship a handgun to it's manufacturer via FedEx or UPS for warranty work? Specifically from Sacramento, CA without a FFL licensee.

And am I legal to accept the package back from the manufacturer or will it have to go back to a FFL dealer?

I read the FedEx and UPS policies, but I'm not sure of our legal laws here regarding shipping a handgun.

Not to hijack, but what's the warranty work you're having done?

hkusp9c
05-18-2009, 7:51 PM

Looks like you have a Sig. right? Call Sig customer service and ask for a shipping label for warranty service. They are gonna email you one and you can ship it back to sig through UPS (2nd day air). But you have to go to the UPS main center and let them know that you are sending a unloaded firearm back to its manufacturer. turnaround time should be around 2 weeks depends on what kind of warranty service. Hope that helps.

sigsr
05-18-2009, 8:37 PM
Not to hijack, but what's the warranty work you're having done?

I have a new Springfield 1911 mil spec. Went straight from the shop to the range. Put 170 rounds through it, took it apart and clean it up. Took a look down the barrel, and there looks like what appears to be a small spot of grime in the barrel next to the rifling. No scrubbing or even scraping would take it off. I have no idea what it is, but it looks like a small spatter from a weld.

Going to send it to Springfield and see what they can do about it. I asked the kind lady if I can just send the barrel, but she said the guys in the shop wanted the whole gun just in case they needed to do some fitting. I want them to do a few custom work as well, since the whole gun is going.

But thanks guys. I will call UPS and confirm before I head out there to ship, no need to get in a debate with a uptight clerk.

marklbucla
05-18-2009, 8:40 PM
Hold on now-

You're sending a gun back to Springfield for warranty work? They ought to email you a FedEx label which has the shipping prepaid. If they didn't do this for you, then you ought to call them back and ask for one.

sigsr
05-18-2009, 8:51 PM
Hold on now-

You're sending a gun back to Springfield for warranty work? They ought to email you a FedEx label which has the shipping prepaid. If they didn't do this for you, then you ought to call them back and ask for one.

Is that how it works? This is my first handgun purchase. I have to say I am a little disappointed it's going in for what looks like a product defect already, but glad it's a lifetime warranty.

I will call them again tomorrow. Thanks.

marklbucla
05-18-2009, 8:57 PM
Yes, that's how it works with Springfield, or at least the last three or four times I send them stuff within the last year.

I have to ask though since your post count is low and you're a new member- Did you use Hoppe's or some other gun cleaner first to see about getting the stain off? Is this purely cosmetic or is there something wrong with the gun?

gucci pilot
05-18-2009, 9:11 PM
Is that how it works? This is my first handgun purchase. I have to say I am a little disappointed it's going in for what looks like a product defect already, but glad it's a lifetime warranty.

I will call them again tomorrow. Thanks.

Yeah, they should pay for the shipping. I asked the warranty question because my XD had to go back for repair. I sent my gun back to Springfield via the dealer I bought it through. Never even got to put one round through it. Make 'em fix it on their dime, you spent enough cash on it.

sigsr
05-18-2009, 9:18 PM
Yes, that's how it works with Springfield, or at least the last three or four times I send them stuff within the last year.

I have to ask though since your post count is low and you're a new member- Did you use Hoppe's or some other gun cleaner first to see about getting the stain off? Is this purely cosmetic or is there something wrong with the gun?

I have to admit, I am a firearm noobie. I would rather get it resolve without sending it in.

I used Hoppes 9 and a brush to clean it, and look down the barrel through a lamp. You can clearly see the bore is clean, but that little spot just won't come off. It's like a little speck of weld spatter or something. I even tried to scrape it lightly with a small screwdriver, to which had no effect.

Honestly, I don't know what this will do. I'm sure the gun would function, but this speck looks like it would cut into the bullet as it travels down the bore. I don't know if and what kind of effect it will have on accuracy. Any clue?

I've actually thought about putting a few more round through it and see if it clears it. Any suggestions, before I continue the warranty process? My main concern is that this speck will affect my potential accuracy. Quite, honestly I'm not a good enough shot to tell the difference, but it's hard to ignore the fact that it's a brand new gun and I spent some hard earn dollars on it.

paul0660
05-18-2009, 9:19 PM
They should pay for shipping for the warranty work, but they won't want to because you are having some optional work done as well. Be mean. GET THAT SHIPPING LABEL.

Glock619
05-18-2009, 9:26 PM
not to sound like a buzz kill or anything and hope you dont take it the wrong way. but is that incident under warranty? Sounds like you could be at fault for not cleaning before shooting,
just bought first gun and they told me, "before you do anythin, clean it!" since its packed with the oil and stuff.

again, i dont know much, just a thought.