PDA

View Full Version : NEED FFL For a PPT

Theseus
05-18-2009, 5:59 PM
I have a friend in my area that needs an FFL.

Here is the deal, correct me if I am wrong.

Seller is in Fresno. Seller can complete the transfer form and ship the pistol to the buyers FFL. FFL takes down buyers information and conducts the PPT...Fee should be $35.

My friend is being quoted by dealers for FFL transfers... If I am correct any FFL's willing to do this for the proper price? If I am wrong then anyone wiling to contact me so I can get my friend worked out?

lorax3
05-18-2009, 6:15 PM
Although there may be work on this in the future, for now both the seller and the buyer must show up in person at the dealer for a true PPT.
A PPT is defined in the penal code, so unless you and your friend are able to show up in person it is not a PPT in nature. The transfer can still happen, although since it would not legally be a "PPT", as the buyer and seller are in different location; there is no legal maximum fee. A dealer may charge whatever he sees fit to do such a transfer.

Since this kind of transfer is not a "PPT" the handgun roster applies, so the gun you wish to transfer must be rostered.

-lorax

Theseus
05-18-2009, 6:39 PM
Interesting. Thanks.

rbetts
05-18-2009, 11:36 PM
I get this question all the time. It is not a PPT unless I can Physically ID both people and they can sign the DROS in person. Otherwise, its a regular transfer. As long as the handgun is rostered, I'll accept it from you with a copy of your DL in the box with the gun. The buyer gets DROS'd, HSC'd, Gun Locked and Safe Handled. Fees are the same as a regular transfer.

Hope this helps.

Theseus
06-03-2009, 7:55 PM
I figured I would use this same thread instead of a new one.

A person is required to wait 10 days for a "cool down" period. Is there anything that says a friend or other person with permission from the owner of the firearm can pick it up on behalf of the DROS'er?

I expect the answer would be yes, there are many reasons why an authorized person could not, but I would like to know if there is a factual, legally based one and not the common sense reasons.

SVT-40
06-03-2009, 11:06 PM
No, the actual buyer must pick up the firearm in person. He must also sign the 4473 at the time he picks it up. NO EXCEPTIONS are allowed by law.