PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Milspec ... good price?

Crazed_SS
05-18-2009, 4:55 PM
So I'm chillin here at work and decide to check the Discount Gun Mart website and see if they've updated their specials. I click the link and apparently they have Mil Specs for $550. I called them and verified they are in stock.

Im thinking about rolling over there after work and picking one up. I already have a 1911, but this seems like too good of deal to pass up.

http://discountgunmart.com/
http://discountgunmart.com/web_ad.pdf

timmyb21
05-18-2009, 7:38 PM
I'd buy it if I had the cash...

sorensen440
05-18-2009, 7:39 PM
If they are new that is a good price

scootergmc
05-18-2009, 7:45 PM
Depends on whether it's an actual milspec or just a GI...

clonepsi
05-18-2009, 7:46 PM
Less than I paid for my GI...

demo
05-18-2009, 8:01 PM
very good price if its from a local dealer. I paid more for my GI. and the mil should cost +$100 over a GI. If you wanted a 1911, its a good buy right now.

hawk1
05-18-2009, 8:01 PM
Thats a fair price for a new one.
If I was in the market for another I'd do it.

Crazed_SS
05-18-2009, 8:54 PM
Depends on whether it's an actual milspec or just a GI...

Hmm I went there it was actually a GI. I dont know if they're ad is wrong or what. It clearly says milspec and there's a picture of a milspec..

Oh well.. guess I dont need another 1911 right now :(

EDIT: They did have Stainless Milspecs for 630 though.. tempting..

OofieXD
05-19-2009, 4:09 AM
Yeah, I posted this a week ago. I found their ad on the SD reader saying $549 for a Mil-spec, I also checked their site and it says mil-spec. When I get there, they said that they had the "G.I. Mil-spec" for sale, and not the real mil-spec. I didn't want to argue with the guy so I just went home.

Crazed_SS
05-19-2009, 6:41 AM
Yeah, I posted this a week ago. I found their ad on the SD reader saying $549 for a Mil-spec, I also checked their site and it says mil-spec. When I get there, they said that they had the "G.I. Mil-spec" for sale, and not the real mil-spec. I didn't want to argue with the guy so I just went home.

Ahh Ok.. I missed your thread..
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=184089

Yea i didnt want to argue about it either. They really should change the ad and picture as it's kind of a bait and switch as it stands now.

OofieXD
05-19-2009, 7:02 AM
It was disappointing because that wouldve been my first 1911, oh well.

MrBurns
05-19-2009, 9:14 AM
IIRC, I paid $605 for my stainless Mil Spec from budsgunshop.com about two years ago. In today's market, I'd say $550 for a GI model is a pretty fair price, especially if you can get it at a retail store and not pay for shipping.

OofieXD
05-19-2009, 9:19 AM
It may be fair, but thats not what they had advertised. Why not just advertise the correct deal?

They had the mil-spec advertised for a really good deal and when you go there, they say its for the GI model. Typical bait & switch method.

CalNRA
05-19-2009, 9:24 AM
550 is fair for a GI, it was 460 and up 2-3 years ago.

I'm still kicking myself for not getting the Mil Spec for 550 when I saw one in Markley's that one time last year.

The GIs are good pistols, solid and reliable. The Mil Specs tend to be a little more accurate with better trigger and all.

Knauga
05-19-2009, 9:41 AM
$550 is still a decent price for a GI. for a Milspec it is a steal.

In defense of the store selling it, SA markets it as a "GI Milspec", it even says it on the label. The difference would be that the "Milspec" comes in a blue box and the GI comes in a green box. Yes a gun store SHOULD know the difference, but they don't always hire the brightest bulbs.

larryt
05-19-2009, 7:16 PM
I disagree. Springfield does not market the Mil-Spec as the G.I. Mil-Spec. There is the G.I. and the Mil-Spec. They market the Mil-Spec as "a step up from the G.I." If you want it, walk right back in there with the ad and the applicable Springfield pages from their site. Talk to the manager. I know some of the staff at DGM is dense, but the manager should make this right.

Capt Jack
05-19-2009, 7:20 PM
People also tend to mix up the meaning of "mil-spec" versus an actual model name in these. They were probably thinking it can take all standard 1911 parts so its definitely a "mil-spec" in their eyes.

The 1911 forum has a great post with the differences between the 2 models:
http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=48928

Here are the pics:
The GI
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa275/Gr8fuljack/GIsa.jpg

The Mil-Spec
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa275/Gr8fuljack/MIL-SPECsa.jpg

The grips that they show in the ad are also different from either of these? That's too bad about the mix up as that would have been a great buy!

Mr D
05-19-2009, 7:41 PM
I disagree. Springfield does not market the Mil-Spec as the G.I. Mil-Spec. There is the G.I. and the Mil-Spec. They market the Mil-Spec as "a step up from the G.I." If you want it, walk right back in there with the ad and the applicable Springfield pages from their site. Talk to the manager. I know some of the staff at DGM is dense, but the manager should make this right.

My box says Mil-Spec G.I. On the factory seal

PolishMike
05-19-2009, 7:47 PM

They do in fact say G.I. Milspec on them

larryt
05-19-2009, 7:49 PM
They do in fact say G.I. Milspec on them

Fair enough. However, the ad says Mil-Spec and does not say G.I. That's a big difference. If it was a mistake, fine. But as a consumer, I'd make them own up to it.

Edit: And my comment above was based on the marketing materials on the Springfield website, which is unambiguous.

Knauga
05-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Fair enough. However, the ad says Mil-Spec and does not say G.I. That's a big difference. If it was a mistake, fine. But as a consumer, I'd make them own up to it.

Edit: And my comment above was based on the marketing materials on the Springfield website, which is unambiguous.

Yeah, unfortunatley when they put the stamp on the box they blur the lines leaving room for "oops". I do believe that the ad is an error, I might let them know about their error to keep them honest. If they fix it, then it was an error, if they don't they're scumbags and don't deserve our money.

I think going in and trying to force the issue would actually be a problem. They'll just say they don't have any "Mil-Spec" pistols in stock, but for a non refundable deposit they'll order one for you and let you know when it comes in... which it never will. SA has preferred distributors that get all of the "good stuff", anything leftover goes to other distributors which is probably why this place only has GI's sitting on their shelves.

I was going to order a pistol from SA through a local FFL, he told me he'd be happy to order it, but good luck on it showing up in my lifetime.

CA Gun Laws Suck
05-19-2009, 10:12 PM
It was a typo in the ad....There are milspecs on the shelf as well.