View Full Version : Anyone put a straight edge across your upper flat top/railed forearm?

05-18-2009, 2:59 PM
Have any of you checked your 2 piece mid-length or rifle length free float forearm to see if it's perfectly level and straight with your flat top upper? I installed a Troy 2-piece MRF Mid-length rail, and it was sloped upward a tad at the handguard cap end, allowing about a 1/8" gap in the middle when I laid a straight edge across it. The Troy clamps onto the barell nut, and the front of it lays around the handguard cap (the triangular type). I removed it and noticed that the outer rim of the handguard cap had a slight lipraised lip around it from manufacturing. I carefully filed off the lip around all of the contact area to create a nice flat outer rim. Now when I re-installed the forearm, there is maybe a 1/16" "dip" at the location where the upper forearm meets the receiver rail. It looks like the handguard cap end may still be sitting a tad high. Anyone else experienced this with the Troy product? I noticed that the other brands of 2-piece free float forearms DO NOT sit on the handguard cap. It's a good thing I don't have a circular handguard cap, because I would have been SOL with this Troy model.

05-18-2009, 3:03 PM
I have seen this too. I read a post about how bad some were, even uppers that ppl think are top of the line, but when you put a level on them, you see problems. IIRC, it was Mark LaRue who posted this on ARFCOM when talking about "others". He didnt name names.