PDA

View Full Version : Conversion Kit Question for Ar 15

caligundude
05-18-2009, 12:39 PM
i was looking into getting a .22 conversion for my ar. i was jus wondering if i get the conversion kit would i be able to shoot it out of my .223/5.56 barrel with out any problems and with accuracy. or do i have to get the conversion kit with the whole upper for a .22 .

evan69
05-18-2009, 12:45 PM
That's what they are made for, they are just sensitive to which brand of ammo you use.

USPLove78
05-18-2009, 12:49 PM
You will be fine shooting .22LR out of your 5.56/.223 barrel. I bought spikes tactical 22lr conversion kit and it works fine on my AR. Just be sure to use good ammo preferably CCI Mini Mag 38-40 grain or Walmart Federal Bulk pack. I also shoot about 10 rounds of .223 after im done shooting 22lr round just to clean out the gas tube from any fouling left from the .22lr rounds.

sonicbuff
05-18-2009, 12:53 PM
I'm not hijacking this thread, but just want to add another question.

I heard from some dealer that conversion kit is bad for AR15, and should not be used, due to gas fouling.

Are they full of it ? Or we know the problem and we just ignore it ?

ironcross
05-18-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm not hijacking this thread, but just want to add another question.

I heard from some dealer that conversion kit is bad for AR15, and should not be used, due to gas fouling.

Are they full of it ? Or we know the problem and we just ignore it ?

I would just do what UPS said after your done with the 22lr.

You will be fine shooting .22LR out of your 5.56/.223 barrel. I bought spikes tactical 22lr conversion kit and it works fine on my AR. Just be sure to use good ammo preferably CCI Mini Mag 38-40 grain or Walmart Federal Bulk pack. I also shoot about 10 rounds of .223 after im done shooting 22lr round just to clean out the gas tube from any fouling left from the .22lr rounds.

GoingPro
05-18-2009, 1:02 PM
worst case scenario, buy an extra gas tube if anything happens down the road.

sonicbuff
05-18-2009, 1:42 PM
worst case scenario, buy an extra gas tube if anything happens down the road.

Can we simply flush the gas tube ?

dchang0
05-18-2009, 2:35 PM
To the OP: accuracy does decrease a bit with a .22LR conversion kit due to the smaller diameter and weight of the .22LR bullet, but it's good enough for plinking. If you care enough about accuracy, there are dedicated uppers out there that have barrels with the proper twist. You can also get match-grade barrels from various sources.

dieselpower
05-18-2009, 4:18 PM
You need to clean the weapon well after a couple hundred rounds of 22. Pay close attention to the chamber. And always fire some .223 to clean out the gas tube. I have heard of ppl using compressed air, but I doubt that is as good as firing a live round.

dirtykoala
05-18-2009, 5:31 PM
i just bought a cmmg conversion kit, i brought it out and it was horribly inaccurate, i posted the problem on here yesterday and people said i just needed better ammo, so ill try that. it shot just fine out of my 556 upper, but it does get pretty dirty. i have heard that it leaves crap in your gas tube, but the instructions that came with conversion said that shooting some 223/556 after youre done shooting 22 will clean it out.

Agro
05-18-2009, 6:26 PM
From what I read the Spikes kit is the best. All will work though. Yeah I've read all the same stuff on ARFCOM about the dirtyness of rimfire. Following up with .223/5.56 is good and then major cleaning later. Even in your lower as it gets down there too.

caligundude
05-19-2009, 12:11 AM
i just bought a cmmg conversion kit, i brought it out and it was horribly inaccurate, i posted the problem on here yesterday and people said i just needed better ammo, so ill try that. it shot just fine out of my 556 upper, but it does get pretty dirty. i have heard that it leaves crap in your gas tube, but the instructions that came with conversion said that shooting some 223/556 after youre done shooting 22 will clean it out.
thanks let me know after you try it with better ammo.
thanks all