PDA

View Full Version : Indie Film projects to promote gun rights.

nicki
05-18-2009, 11:31 AM
The smaller budget independent films have a shot of getting distributed if the major studios release box office duds.

Many independent films have done because they have had a good story and script which compensated for lack of high dollar special effects.

We probably already have the people right here already on this forum who could actually fund, produce and help distribute a independent film right now.

I say a modest budget, say 1 to 2 million per film. This of course would be a calculated risk investment.

Funding:

While most investments want 5 to 10 K or more min for people to get in the investment, I would want to if possible keep the costs down to 1K or so.

My view being is that I would want to give most the opportunity to make a investment if they choose to.

We have 10,000 active members. In theory we have the numbers to actually do it if one out of 10 people would invest 1 thousand dollars.

Film Crew: With a modest budget, we could find a up and coming director and crew.

Actors: The acting field always has had 95 percent unemployment. A good screen play and story doesn't need name actors to carry the film, in fact, name actors can actually ruin the story.

Many great films had no name actors.

I myself do have ideas of what I feel would be stories that could be made into movies to promote our gun rights.

And I am not sure that I'm the only one.

We need to get our message out, why not see if it is viable to create our own production company and make our films with our values.

Who knows, if we are profitable enough, investment money for the film industry would come to us.

Feel free to post comments. I am attaching a poll regarding financing of such films.

Nicki

TatankaGap
05-18-2009, 12:38 PM
It'd have to be a great story, compelling characters and message and some attachments in order to make it real - IMHO - :cool2:

Fjold
05-18-2009, 12:40 PM
It's "losses" not "loses".

Mixing investing and emotions is a good way to not have any money to invest.

KCM222
05-18-2009, 12:55 PM
I like the idea, but I don't believe this is the right project for these boards; I feel the money generated by this site is better used to fund legal cases.

I think something like this would be more effective as something like a YouTube channel (which I believe you promoted before - correct me if I'm wrong).

Reason being is that if the purpose of the film is to promote gun rights then the type of people we want to hit with this message are probably not going to be interested in watching a full movie about it. If you water down the pro-gun message in favor of having an interesting story then I believe pro-gun dollars may be more useful elsewhere.

I like the idea of a YouTube channel because it could host a series of short stories that get a specific message across. Personally, I prefer having some of our main arguments spelled out and enacted for peoples' reference if they can not articulate them themselves. If you want to lean more towards a film that is entertaining to watch you could probably take some true life stories and have them reenacted. Using true life stories removes the trouble of creating an interesting story and adds a compelling element to the feature.

Also, to sell this as a possible investment would mean that the pro-gun message would have to play a subdued role in order to get enough people to want to pay to see it; ie it would have to be an interesting story that just happens to portray guns in a positive way (and that type of conditioning would require the kind of constant bombardment that the antis currently employ).

KCM222
05-18-2009, 1:07 PM
As a follow up, the first thing that came to mind for me when reading this was a "made for TV movie" that I saw as a child that I'm pretty sure was a true story.

The movie was about a woman with an abusive husband that she ends up shooting (in addition to his girlfriend) in self defense. The girlfriend lives and they go to court alleging that the wife murdered the husband.

It's complicated because her husband was the town doctor and viewed as an upstanding citizen. In addition he had written a prescription for anti-psychotic medication for the wife that he was taking himself for his own mental illness. Forensic evidence ends up saving the day and the wife is vindicated.

That story had little to do with guns, but I clearly remember as a child knowing that if the woman didn't have a gun she would probably have been killed (or at least forced to remain in her terrible situation - she shot her husband trying to leave him and he attacked her). The story illustrates how someone outnumbered and at a physical disadvantage could defend themselves.

I believe something along these lines could work if you wanted to make a feature film, but arguably there much of a pro-gun message and thus maybe not worth our effort. I'm sure you could work in the right message(s), but probably at the cost of entertainment.

Vtec44
05-18-2009, 1:12 PM
I think we should try short films first, like BMW short films, or even PSA's. That requires much less initial capital but we need a really good script.

Vacaville
05-18-2009, 1:23 PM
Reason being is that if the purpose of the film is to promote gun rights then the type of people we want to hit with this message are probably not going to be interested in watching a full movie about it.

Sadly, I do believe this to be true. I think we need to put money toward P.R. - press releases aimed at re-establishing gun culture in our youth, removing the negative stigma of gun owners, and preserving our 2A rights. Maybe even paid adverstisements rebutting some of the FUD that is being spread by the Antis. And while I do think that the main focus should remain legal action, I think that we are losing the battle as far as public opinion because we have literally given up the fight everywhere but in the courts.

sorensen440
05-18-2009, 1:28 PM
Meh
Having hosted the california independent film fest here at work I can tell you the folks viewing the film will not be at all receptive

Very much the tofu and no soap types

bulgron
05-18-2009, 2:48 PM
Very much the tofu and no soap types

Then write a tofu and no soap appropriate script that slides a pro-gun message in, sneakily.

That actually sounds like a challenge. I wish I had time to work on that.

rivviepop
05-18-2009, 3:17 PM
Then write a tofu and no soap appropriate script that slides a pro-gun message in, sneakily.

Assault Tofu - Evil Black Curd (*)

(*) working title

mcubed4130
05-19-2009, 12:23 AM
Hmm... I'm interested; but - I'm unclear how you make a main focal point of - pro gun - into a story.

I mean heck.... Ironman is a great pro-gun movie. :-)

As are most action films; as they concentrate on the action and not on the trivialities of who is allowed to have the guns. So anyone who sees a movie and identifies with the protagonist - and if that protagonist - used guns to achieve whatever the end result of some type of ending the viewer wanted to happen... presto... it's a pro-gun movie.

If the movie is just a bang you over the head; in a mode of - YOU in bad situation - HAVE gun... live... YOU in bad situation - DONT have gun... die...

It's not likely to reach anyone.

And as others have said... who is the target audience?

If it's a movie designed for people who think guns are responsible for all evil in the world... what could you possibly put in a movie to convince them otherwise?

If you are going for the middle-ground... the radio spots that City-Arms of Pacifica - have already been making waves so to speak. :-)

Other miscellaneous thoughts... though 95% of actors are out of work... about 98% of them are anti-gun, anti-meat, anti-gas, anti-family, hybrid driving zealots. So I suppose the Hybrid driving global warming vegan lesbian action hero - could save the day with non-lead environmentally friendly gun that just happened to be there when they needed it most... :-)

-M3

nicki
05-19-2009, 1:38 AM
Guys,

I recall seeing "Death Wish", "Red Dawn" and other Hollywood production movies with pro gun messages blantantly in the script in major theatres.

Sure the entertainment industry has bias, but the bottom line is money talks.

Independent films that have lower production costs can offer theatres higher profit margins.

All we have to do is go over the top. Look at the Saw movies. The first one was modest production, but it became a cult classic.

I am working on a book which I already have talked with a organization that can get it published this weekend.

I have already outlined what I know will be a great film. I figure if I am thinking this, someone else may also be doing the same.

I am not limiting my appeal for participation to only this board, I am seeking involvement wherever I can.

The reason I put the post up was to get the creative processes on this board thinking both small and large.

We have FAQ's on this board. Imagine if we had you tube links to FAQ's with video answers on various questions.

Literally we could become our own media.

We need to start our battles in the court of public opinion as well as the court of law.

The reason I bring up commercial film projects is so that we create projects that can make profits and fund other continuing projects.

Smaller profitable projects open doors for larger projects.

American history is so full of compelling stories that would make for very entertaining films.

Many key battles of the American Revolution would make excellent movies.

The Collafax massacre and the Crunshiak case would make a very controversial film.

The story of Jack Miller and the Miller decision would be entertaining.

The Heller case would make a interesting film project.

These are just some ideas, let your imagination run.

Nicki

gunsmith
05-19-2009, 3:30 AM
Assault Tofu - Evil Black Curd (*)

(*) working title

I suggest alien space monkey
zombies attack organic pot/mushroom "collective"
the hippies are almost all killed but at the last minute our hero the local geek libertarian shows up for his monthly med/mj stash and has a case of ammo and a cali legal AR and and maybe a case of .357 and a revolver and saves the day, gets the girl, doesn't let the stoned commies have the spare revolver because they were seen marching at the m/m/march
& the zombies all wear Obama tee shirts

Pelican
05-19-2009, 6:13 AM
Here's the book on which to base the movie:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/***-Hag/Robert-Rodi/e/9780525934066

Sort of "Will and Grace" meets "Rambo".

Pelican

The Director
05-19-2009, 7:53 AM
You're a day late and a dollar short, Nicki (lol!)

Already deep in development with most of the funding complete on a $2.5 million dollar film entitled "Red Ruination Blue". It's an amazing script which, among other things, displays what a disarmed society looks like and what the effects thereof are. It's very entertaining, very much in the vein of John Milius (Writer / director of Red Dawn). Not preachy. Hollywood types (hey, I'm a hollywood type!) already love it. It will star household names. One of two movies I am shooting in sequence.

Here is the poster for RRB. The other poster is the second movie we're shooting called Hangar 14. That one is a plain old shoot 'em up.

obeygiant
05-19-2009, 8:03 AM
You're a day late and a dollar short, Nicki (lol!)

Already deep in development with most of the funding complete on a $2.5 million dollar film entitled "Red Ruination Blue". It's an amazing script which, among other things, displays what a disarmed society looks like and what the effects thereof are. It's very entertaining, very much in the vein of John Milius (Writer / director of Red Dawn). Not preachy. Hollywood types (hey, I'm a hollywood type!) already love it. It will star household names. One of two movies I am shooting in sequence.

Here is the poster for RRB. The other poster is the second movie we're shooting called Hangar 14. That one is a plain old shoot 'em up.

Keep us posted as to when it will be available. :thumbsup:

nicki
05-19-2009, 10:21 AM
[QUOTE][/You're a day late and a dollar short, Nicki (lol!)QUOTE]

I am glad to see you have a project going, and I am sure that you and I have a very different vision to what kind of movies we would make.

The beauty is we don't have to limit ourselves to one movie line, we can be like Baskin Robbins.

Red Dawn was a classic, and all the young actors went onto other projects.
Too bad Pat Swayze is dying of cancer.

Nicki

dwa
05-19-2009, 3:10 PM
i think something like the brave one with jodie foster but with her unable to obtain a firearm to defend herself because of the laws would be a workable idea.

Maestro Pistolero
05-19-2009, 3:51 PM
Most importantly you need to start with a strong script. Find a really good screenplay writer or team. If the writing is bad, trite, overtly agenda driven, or just plain sucks, there's nothing you do can to overcome it. It has to be entertaining, and compelling.

It might be more compelling if it were based on true stories. Heartfelt tales of those whose lives or loved ones are alive today because of a firearm. And juxtaposed stories of those whose rights were denied resulting in loss of life.

It must be artfully told, well executed and produced, and above artistic reproach, regardless of budget limitations. To win acceptance, and to be credible, it must stand on it's own artistically, even to those who vehemently disagree with the premise.

I am a music producer/ who would volunteer to score a worthy project. Emotional impact is key, as it has been used against our cause to great effect. Music is essential to driving home an emotional point. If you get close to post production, please contact me.

http://www.christopherjhoffman.com