PDA

View Full Version : Shop Owner Kills Burglary Suspect in Carmichael

rtlltj
05-18-2009, 11:46 AM
http://www.ksbw.com/news/19494251/detail.html

CARMICHAEL, Calif. -- A shop owner allegedly shot and killed a burglary suspect near a Sacramento shopping center early Monday, the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department said.

Officials said a man who runs a coin and jewelry shop opened fire on two alleged burglars shortly after 4 a.m., sheriff's Sgt. Tim Curran said.

One of the burglary suspects was hit and died in the parking lot. The other suspect got away but was found nearby and detained by investigators, Curran added.

Authorities said the shop was also burglarized on April 29.

Curran said the 65-year-old shop owner, who was not identified, was inside the store when he noticed two people wearing black ski masks trying to break in.

The shop owner called 911 for help. While the owner was on the phone, a dispatcher could hear several shots being fired, Curran said.

The victim's body was found about 50 feet from the front of the store. The shop owner told a 911 dispatcher that he could see the second burglary suspect trying to help his injured accomplice, but the second suspect eventually fled.

Deputies arrived to find the Latino victim lying in the parking lot. The suspect, who had at least one gunshot wound to the upper body, was pronounced dead at the scene.

At 5:18 a.m., deputies searching the area detained a 22-year-old Latino man. He was interviewed by detectives to determine what, if any, involvement he had in the burglary attempt, Curran said.

Curran added it was unclear if the shop owner will face any charges. The case will be forwarded to the district attorney's office for review.

It would be nice if people who commit crimes would stop being referred to as victims by the news.

Vtec44
05-18-2009, 11:59 AM
The "victim's" body?

BroncoBob
05-18-2009, 12:06 PM
The "victim's" body?

Yep, that is how it will be seen in good old California.

AEC1
05-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Plus one for the good guys!!!

Tillers_Rule
05-18-2009, 12:35 PM
It would also be nice if they didn't always add "What, if any charges will be filed" when referring to the *true* victims (those who were burglarized.)

Cru Jones
05-18-2009, 12:35 PM
Nice shootin' tex.

rabagley
05-18-2009, 12:42 PM
It is unclear what medals, if any, will be awarded at this time.

professionalcoyotehunter
05-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Serves the "victim" right. Too bad he did not get both of them.

socal2310
05-18-2009, 1:46 PM
The "victim's" body?

Even more infuriating: good shoots like this, as well as those involving L.E. go toward feeding "gun violence" statistics.

Ryan

CessnaDriver
05-18-2009, 2:28 PM
illegal aliens?

ohsmily
05-18-2009, 2:30 PM
illegal aliens?

Jump to baseless conclusions much?

I hope this was a good shoot. If this guy was just lying in wait for these guys and fired before they posed an imminent threat, he may be facing some problems.

6172crew
05-18-2009, 2:35 PM
It is unclear what medals, if any, will be awarded at this time.
:thumbsup:

JDay
05-18-2009, 2:38 PM

I hope this was a good shoot. If this guy was just lying in wait for these guys and fired before they posed an imminent threat, he may be facing some problems.

Not always, I remember a year or two ago a man in south sac shot someone who was fleeing after seeing him try to break into his car. I don't remember any charges being filed in that case.

doc1buc
05-18-2009, 2:41 PM
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver
illegal aliens?

Sounded like a question, hence the question mark.

joeyriv
05-18-2009, 2:44 PM
I was watching this story on Fox 40 this am. Think I might go drop by that business (when they reopen) and give them some moral support, or at least thank them for taking an active role in their defense.
Wait... maybe I better hear the whole story first, and find out if it was a good shoot or not.

toaster
05-18-2009, 2:54 PM
5 minutes from my house. I shop at his neighbors place (Trent's Bookbag) frequently.

Librarian
05-18-2009, 3:12 PM
Odd dateline; I didn't think anything south of Arden was "Carmichael" (my mom lives up by Madison).

Too bad about the burglar, but crime is a risky business; seems to me the store owner is the 'victim' here, and I hope he's getting good legal and personal support.

Kid Stanislaus
05-18-2009, 3:21 PM

He was asking a question.:mad:

k0ncept
05-18-2009, 3:23 PM
Serves the "victim" right. Too bad he did not get both of them.

+1!!

Maybe next time! heheh

Poor Victim's lol...

Turo
05-18-2009, 3:30 PM
"victim" ugh.

Sounds like a good shoot from the story, I'm glad he stood up for his rights.

gunsmith
05-19-2009, 3:04 AM
Well, I sure hope the dead guy has learned his lesson and never tries that kind of stunt again.

Shane916
05-19-2009, 11:36 AM
Certainly doesn't help the defense considering S2 was in possession of a weapon as well :)

Intriguing they must have found him at a school and tacked on the charge.

http://www.sacsheriff.com/inmate_information/inmate_details.cfm?a=F2653BEF8914B817F819DAD6E9205 98C6DB44E

DarkHorse
05-19-2009, 1:21 PM
Odd dateline; I didn't think anything south of Arden was "Carmichael" (my mom lives up by Madison).

Too bad about the burglar, but crime is a risky business; seems to me the store owner is the 'victim' here, and I hope he's getting good legal and personal support.

Marconi & Walnut is North of Arden. (I think it's actually the exact center of Carmichael. Exact:p)

low94noma
05-19-2009, 1:50 PM
I hope that sends a message out. I guess you do not want to rob any stores in that shopping center. I hope that gentleman avoids legal issues and returns to his life.

Jamez
05-19-2009, 2:00 PM
How long and when will we know if they shop owner will be cleared?

l_Z_l
05-19-2009, 2:19 PM
sounds like a good shoot to me...hope he doesn't have to go through any hoops...

"victim"...***kin california

Swatter911
05-19-2009, 4:24 PM
From the Sacramento Bee:

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/crime/archives/022427.html

May 19, 2009
Slain suspected burglar no "lowlife," family says as tonight's vigil approaches

From Kim Minugh:

Family members of the suspected burglar killed by a store owner Monday say they will hold a candlelight vigil for the slain man tonight.

They want to counter the public perception that 24-year-old Vincent Paul Arauza was a "lowlife," family members told The Bee.

"He had a family," said his 19-year-old sister, Maricela Arauza. "He was loved by all of us."

Authorities say Vincent Arauza died early Monday morning after he and his younger brother, Sergio Arauza, broke into Marconi Coin & Currency and the shop owner opened fire on them. Vincent Arauza suffered a fatal gunshot wound and died in the store's parking lot.

Sergio Arauza, 21, was arrested on charges of burglary and violating probation. He was not injured.

Maricela Arauza said she and her mother learned of the incident while watching the news Monday morning. She said the loss doesn't yet feel real.

"Right now, honestly, it hasn't hit me," she said. "I'm just blank."

Family members said Vincent Arauza was married and recently enrolled in a program to earn his GED. After completing that program, Vincent planned to get a certificate in culinary arts, they said.

"He talked about how he wanted to change, to go to school and do better for himself," said cousin Diana Arauza, 21. "He realized there's nothing out there without a GED."

Family members did not specifically rebut the events described by the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department, but another of Vincent's sisters, 18-year-old Maryza Arauza, said she felt people might be jumping to conclusions.

"He was a good person," Diana Arauza said. "I don't know what would have made him want to commit a crime."

Sheriff's detectives continue to are investigate the incident. Based on their findings, the District Attorney's Office will determine whether to file criminal charges against the store owner, who has not been arrested.

The owner, whose store had been burglarized a month prior, told detectives he spent Sunday night in his store so he could meet early Monday morning with a repairman to work on the shop's front door. About 4:15 a.m., the owner called 911 to report that two masked men were trying to get enter his store. The emergency dispatcher speaking by phone with the store owner reported hearing several gunshots.

Sheriff's Sgt. Tim Curran said the owner shot Vincent Arauza inside the store. The brothers both fled, but Vincent Arauza collapsed and died in the parking lot.

Deputies arrested Sergio Arauza nearby. He remains in the Sacramento County Main Jail today, held in lieu of $150,000 bail.

Vincent Arauza was on parole after serving time for second-degree burglary, according to court and prison records. Sergio Arauza was on probation for a 2007 misdemeanor conviction of possessing burglars' tools.

Family members say tonight's vigil will be at 7 p.m. in the store's parking lot at 4949 Marconi Ave.

Highlights are mine.

Anyone wanna take bets that the surviving brother (Sergio) gets prosecuted under the felony murder rule?

:thumbsup:

rtlltj
05-19-2009, 4:38 PM
Same old bs from the family. Yea my brother was no low life he just had prior charges for burglary. This family deserves a :thumbsup:

N6ATF
05-19-2009, 5:10 PM
This is why there's so many criminals. They don't have their families beating sense into them while they're alive, and they're treated as SAINTS after they deservedly die.

The Wingnut
05-19-2009, 5:17 PM
Same old bs from the family. Yea my brother was no low life he just had prior charges for burglary. This family deserves a :thumbsup:

...same old BS from the press, too. Scumbag gets himself killed doing what scumbags do, and the press lauds him as just another nice young boy that had a troubled upbringing and was trying to go straight...

...he'd get right on that after knocking off one last jewelry store, right?

Too bad you can't charge the press with aiding and abetting criminals. Jackarserey at its utmost.

TheCilician
05-19-2009, 5:45 PM
and THAT'S why you should learn to handle a firearm. While 911 is chatting you away, some low-life mother ****** is trying to steal your money and life.

Good for the shop owner!

Bizcuits
05-19-2009, 6:08 PM
I wish I had tonight off... I'd go hold a sign saying "Good Guys 1, Bad Guys 0"

phamkl
05-19-2009, 8:12 PM
Let's celebrate the store owner's living rather than the burglar's dying.

weezil_boi
05-20-2009, 12:00 AM
Does anyone know if the bad guy was an illegal Mexican? (No... not a typo... because we dont generally have problems with millions of Japanese folks swimmin over here and our jails arent filled with Australians ;) )