View Full Version : CCW permit privacy.

05-18-2009, 7:54 AM
Thanks to CBS versus Block, currently CCW permits in California are public record.

The core of the ruling is that access to the permits, who was issued, who was denied and more specifically, the good cause statements are critical because having that information is the only way someone could determine if there were "equal protection issues" with the CCW permit system.

Currently we have roughly 40,000 CCW holders statewide who have a personal stake in this.

The only way the CCW permits can become non public records would be to eliminate subjective "good cause" standards.

Not a lawyer, but if a sheriff or a chief of police would only accept "personal protection" for good cause and would only deny permits for "good cause" and made the permit system really accessible, it could possibly allow sheriffs and police chiefs to protect those who have permits.

As long as we have "may issue" we need CBS versus Block. Once we trully have "shall issue", then CBS vs Block becomes a problem.

In other states newspapers have accessed and published info on who had CCW permits. Many states have now shielded who has CCW permits.

Isn't it funny how it was a non story when permits were issued only to the "few", but when CCW permits became available to the masses, how it became "newsworthy".

What I am thinking is there are many sheriffs who are effectively shall issue, but they still want to "control" who gets permits.

They are in areas where they would lose the elections if they were percieved as to support "gun control".

Any thoughts guys.

05-18-2009, 8:38 AM
Dark ones, about media marxists who publish their local CCW holders identities while sniggering like an 8yr-old lighting a bag of dog**** on theie neighbor's porch, all while crying 'Freedom of the Press!' as they do it.

El Gato
05-18-2009, 9:37 AM
They are in areas where they would lose the elections if they were percieved as to support "gun control".

Any thoughts guys.

Yep... that's Kern County alright...but he doesn't issue on "personal protection" you have to articulate a good cause.

05-18-2009, 10:28 AM

Is there a collection of "good cause" statements?

05-18-2009, 10:54 AM
Jim March had some on his website under the contra costa cronies.

This are REAL GOOD CAUSE statements, they are not Jim's creations.

Sheriff Rupf by the way is still sheriff of Contra Costa county.

Here's the link

05-18-2009, 11:53 AM

Thanks for the link, that makes for some dismal reading...jim

"Daddy, what's corruption?"

05-18-2009, 1:19 PM
I wonder how many of these politicians in Sacramento who are strongly against law abiding citizens getting carry permits have permits themselves?

05-18-2009, 2:04 PM
Interesting, 5 weapons listed on that permit. That is not uniform with state guidelines. My county only states 3 listed weapons.

Kid Stanislaus
05-18-2009, 2:45 PM
Makes me want to puke.

05-18-2009, 4:08 PM
I think in a Shall issue state, this would be atrocious. However, in our state, this seems to be a very necessary evil. Perhaps CBS vs. Block was the first step towards fixing our states ccw corruption by removing the secrecy of who is getting the permits (campaign contributors, posse member, etc..).

Once we go shall issue this should go back to being protected.