PDA

View Full Version : What is the best gun for CCW so if you need to you can shoot it in your pocket?

punisheryayarea
05-18-2009, 7:30 AM
DELETE (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=582641)

hawk1
05-18-2009, 7:33 AM
This is Darwin at it's best...

Vacaville
05-18-2009, 7:40 AM
I usually prefer to remove my gun from my pocket before I shoot it. :eek:

By the way, how did you do on the HSC test? :whistling:

punisheryayarea
05-18-2009, 7:47 AM
I got a 100% and my Father got 100%, the reason I ask about shooting in a pocket is because if your cought off guard and told to empty your pockets ill empty EVERYTHING in my pocket all right...... And yes we all prefer to remove our gun from are pocket first but it all comes down to what IF?????..... you cant....

SCMA-1
05-18-2009, 7:48 AM
This is Darwin at it's best...

:rofl::laugh::rofl2:

...........perhaps the OP can explain his post a bit more?:confused:

glockman19
05-18-2009, 7:49 AM
S&W 442/642/640

Corbin Dallas
05-18-2009, 7:52 AM
I got a 100% and my Father got 100%, the reason I ask about shooting in a pocket is because if your cought off guard and told to empty your pockets ill empty EVERYTHING in my pocket all right...... And yes we all prefer to remove our gun from are pocket first but it all comes down to what IF?????..... you cant....

IF you're at that point, it's time to comply with the demands.

My take on your "SITUATION" is that you are at gunpoint already. IFF (IF and only IF) you take that shot and MISS you are DEAD for sure. The BG will have all the time they need to take aim and waste you while you fumble for your pocket weapon.

Might I suggest you get some real world training and re-consider the pocket carry idea.

punisheryayarea
05-18-2009, 8:02 AM
open to any suggestions, Yes training is the best idea flat out......

Greg-Dawg
05-18-2009, 8:12 AM
Which pockets? Jacket pocket? Back pocket? Next-to-your-nuts pockets?:eek:

IWB holsters are best.

hawk1
05-18-2009, 8:18 AM
...but it all comes down to what IF?????..... you cant....

Even if this is a viable opportunity, what makes you think you will be in a position to make that shot? What makes you think that you'd be able to turn that firearm in your pocket and hold it in a position to hit your target? Thats a lot of if's to try and buy the best gun for.
As others have said, more effort should be in your/his training for this situation.
As an aside, have you put any thought into what would happen to him if that firearm goes off and the bullet enters his own leg? Possibly traveling down the length of it following the bone?

ZirconJohn
05-18-2009, 8:20 AM
:rofl::laugh::rofl2:

...........perhaps the OP can explain his post a bit more?:confused:

OP has a legitimate question... I'll explain.

Smith & Wesson, and Taurus have a variety of hammerless revolvers that are ideal for point and shoot from your pocket... "jacket pocket".

I would not suggest practice of this, this action for dire moment ONLY, and I would recommend you never do that unless your life is threatened.

Take the gun from your pocket and fire is prescribed.

I would not suggest, nor would I recommend firing ANY handgun from your pants pocket.

However, if you do insist on doing that... then I would insist on seeing a video of that, if you don't hurt yourself... I like a good laugh:D

thefurball
05-18-2009, 8:34 AM
What's the best gun for CCW so if you need to you can shoot it in your pocket...

:confused:

Wow.

I hope you are talking coat pocket, not pants pocket.

How would you manage to let yourself get into that situation in the first place? I have no problem crossing the street if I don't like the looks of the guys walking toward me. Situational awareness will help to keep you out of most sticky situations.

And remember - There is no shame in a tactical retreat.

punisheryayarea
05-18-2009, 8:37 AM
Even if this is a viable opportunity, what makes you think you will be in a position to make that shot? What makes you think that you'd be able to turn that firearm in your pocket and hold it in a position to hit your target? Thats a lot of if's to try and buy the best gun for.
As others have said, more effort should be in your/his training for this situation.
As an aside, have you put any thought into what would happen to him if that firearm goes off and the bullet enters his own leg? Possibly traveling down the length of it following the bone?

You dont have to get all mad and let a question mess up your day :thumbsup: for you 2 sense

punisheryayarea
05-18-2009, 8:39 AM
And yes sorry for not making it clear, a Jacket Pocket, sorry for not explaining it better....

punisheryayarea
05-18-2009, 8:40 AM
or a sports jacket maybe

trendar5
05-18-2009, 8:41 AM
Which Sheriff gave you and your dad your CCW's?

punisheryayarea
05-18-2009, 8:43 AM
I dont have one but he dose for Alameda, and contra costa countys only

punisheryayarea
05-18-2009, 8:44 AM
hes had it for over 8 years

punisheryayarea
05-18-2009, 8:55 AM
Which Sheriff gave you and your dad your CCW's?

How long have you been a LEO????? What's your weapon of choice

JTROKS
05-18-2009, 9:02 AM
I think Mas Ayoob had an article about shooting a gun while still inside a jacket pocket. Just like you said, the bad guy has a jump on you and firing the gun while still in the pocket is the only choice. Pocket autos will more than likely be good for one shot only, so a hammerless revolver is the most intelligent choice. One of the lightweights be a better choice than a S&W 640. The all steel version will have too much weight and will eventually tear up your pocket unless you have one of those old GI field jackets. The article also briefly covered tactics when you have to fire from inside the pocket. More than likely the perp is right on you, so timing when to excecute the move is very important. Hand the wallet and watch at the same time dropping at least one, that will get his attention then sidestepping away from the perps POA and hopefully your shooting hand is on the gun pointing at the perp's torso ready to empty all chambers on him if he's by himself. If closing in to redirect his gun is a better choice then by all means. This will definitely test your courage, you don't have much time to analyze and make your decision. Is it worth the risk? For me if the bad guy has shot someone or has wounded me already I'm thinking fighting is the only way out.

hawk1
05-18-2009, 9:09 AM
You dont have to get all mad and let a question mess up your day :thumbsup: for you 2 sense

What makes you think I'm mad?
I'm actually a bit humored by your question...
This will not mess up my day, that I guaranty you. :thumbsup:

I still think the best you can do for pops is training. Do it as a father son thing.

punisheryayarea
05-18-2009, 9:16 AM
I think Mas Ayoob had an article about shooting a gun while still inside a jacket pocket. Just like you said, the bad guy has a jump on you and firing the gun while still in the pocket is the only choice. Pocket autos will more than likely be good for one shot only, so a hammerless revolver is the most intelligent choice. One of the lightweights be a better choice than a S&W 640. The all steel version will have too much weight and will eventually tear up your pocket unless you have one of those old GI field jackets. The article also briefly covered tactics when you have to fire from inside the pocket. More than likely the perp is right on you, so timing when to excecute the move is very important. Hand the wallet and watch at the same time dropping at least one, that will get his attention then sidestepping away from the perps POA and hopefully your shooting hand is on the gun pointing at the perp's torso ready to empty all chambers on him if he's by himself. If closing in to redirect his gun is a better choice then by all means. This will definitely test your courage, you don't have much time to analyze and make your decision. Is it worth the risk? For me if the bad guy has shot someone or has wounded me already I'm thinking fighting is the only way out.

good info thanks:thumbsup:

punisheryayarea
05-18-2009, 9:17 AM
What makes you think I'm mad?
I'm actually a bit humored by your question...
This will not mess up my day, that I guaranty you. :thumbsup:

I still think the best you can do for pops is training. Do it as a father son thing.

:thumbsup: Ya thats a great idea, thanks

nicki
05-18-2009, 9:36 AM
Pocket shooting.

Not only do you have to consider the gun, but also the pocket itself.

Auto's would haver problems with the slides catching, gun may jam due to interference with slide motion.

I see a hammerless revolver probably as probably the best choice for this bad option.

Nicki

will227457
05-18-2009, 9:37 AM
s&w j frame hammerless....

trendar5
05-18-2009, 11:05 AM
Even though I like the capacity of say, a Glock 19, I have been wanting to get a revolver such as the J-Frame hammerless. It fits Yayarea's gameplan, and its a nice small gun for lots of different applications. As for Yay's dad, I'm glad somebody was able to get a CCW!

ITZJT
05-18-2009, 11:36 AM
sorry but someone had to do it :p

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_pqOBRLICPOk/STTsJapiiQI/AAAAAAAAD6E/pVXy9jMdokE/s400/post.jpg

JTROKS
05-18-2009, 11:47 AM
When you say pocket pistol I've already thought about it a few times. The S&W 640 will be good if you have a heavy jacket with double stitching to reinforce the pocket area. If you have big pockets and the only thing in there is the gun a small 380 or subcompact Kahr may work, but I prefer the hammerless revolver.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh257/joshuatroy/DSC01512-1.jpg

MasterYong
05-18-2009, 1:15 PM
Hammerless revolver FTW.

I personally am not a fan of revolvers, but they function well and sound like just the ticket for you.

I bought my girlfriend a S&W Airframe (at least I think that's what it's called, I don't have it handy but it's the one that weights 11 oz unloaded and is the aluminum frame/titanium cylinder model) and one of the reasons she chose that model was the ability to fire it from her purse. I'd imagine it'd be just as effective through a pocket.

You're not nearly as likely to actually hit what you're aiming at- but it's better than nothing if you have no warning at all of an attack, and all you have time to do is reach in your pocket...

I definitely wouldn't recommend practicing it. Probably get all kinds of burns on your hands or something!

JTROKS
05-18-2009, 1:45 PM
I definitely wouldn't recommend practicing it. Probably get all kinds of burns on your hands or something!

I would advice in practicing point shooting with it at waist level if you're going to carry it in your jacket pocket. Then to test that muscle memory you can throw an old towel over it and see where you hit. This kind of practice won't be allowed in normal indoor or outdoor ranges, your best bet is to join an action pistol club. Remember, you don't have to point shoot at a target that's 15 yards away, try 3 yards and closer.

ZirconJohn
05-18-2009, 2:09 PM
I would advice in practicing point shooting with it at waist level if you're going to carry it in your jacket pocket. Then to test that muscle memory you can throw an old towel over it and see where you hit. This kind of practice won't be allowed in normal indoor or outdoor ranges, your best bet is to join an action pistol club. Remember, you don't have to point shoot at a target that's 15 yards away, try 3 yards and closer.

This reply (above) from JT... is the best recommendation(s) going so far, great stuff fer sure!:thumbsup:

I do not carry in my jacket/coat pocket; my concealment of choice is ankle, or ISWB.

When I worked at a Bar (bartender) at the local puke-n-hurl, after closing I had to walk out back... very dark and at 2:00: AM in the morning, not very safe after tossing people, refusing people, cutting people off, yelling, insulting and my terrible jokes etc...

...Bartender baby-sitting stuff, I don't know what is waiting for me out that door! They would however know I leave at about 2:30; AM!

I get my ankle gun (S&W 340PD) and stuff it in my right jacket pocket. After locking the front door, I place my right hand in my jacket pocket and walk to my truck... 'nuff said, you get the idea'.

ITZJT
05-18-2009, 2:47 PM

do alot of the safety courses practice hip shooting? when I went to get a ccw I took a class here in town at an outdoor range that we did hip shooting but it was back in 1999-2000

Corbin Dallas
05-18-2009, 3:00 PM
do alot of the safety courses practice hip shooting? when I went to get a ccw I took a class here in town at an outdoor range that we did hip shooting but it was back in 1999-2000

No, in fact most will discourage any type of hip shooting. This is something you will need to learn on your own and probably at an outdoor range of some type.

rivviepop
05-18-2009, 3:10 PM
Of course I'm in agreement with JTROKS, S&W J-frame hammerless. But, what about your ammunition choice? I know some ammo (like 38 hydrashocks) had problems with the post causing tumbling with layers of denim. If you truly wish to consider this as a course of action, you might get some different ammo and devise a way to safely test how it fires through various typical jacket fabrics at a 1-inch range. Even under a controlled setup, that need-to-penetrate with some ammo might cause a deviation in trajectory - better test.

mat19er8
05-18-2009, 3:38 PM
I would suggest gloves or a nice burn cream.
"Great Balls of Fire" J.L.L.